ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

Vikings Wait to Sign Picks

Pretty Interesting Read

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/517269.html

Rob Brzezinski, the Vikings vice president of football operations, said Monday he has had preliminary discussions with the agents for all six of the team's picks from the April draft. However, talks aren't expected to heat up until after Independence Day.

"After the Fourth of July, we'll have nearly a month," Brzezinski said. "[Negotiations] will be ongoing. ... We'll be working through them the next few weeks. I don't anticipate any problems."

The Vikings' draft class includes first-round linebacker Chad Greenway; three second-round picks in cornerback Cedric Griffin, offensive lineman Ryan Cook and quarterback Tarvaris Jackson; fourth-round defensive end Ray Edwards; and fifth-round safety Greg Blue.

The Vikings' rookie pool to sign these players, along with other undrafted free agents, has been set at $3.7 million, according to ESPN.com. Greenway, the 17th overall pick who is represented by agent Marvin Demoff, will be looking for a deal that stands to eat up a significant portion of that number.

One of the starting points for talks will be the contract signed by Cincinnati Bengals linebacker David Pollack, the 17th overall selection in the 2005 draft. Pollack held out for 19 days last summer before agreeing to a five-year contract that is worth between $10 and $13 million and includes $7.65 million guaranteed.

"When you start [negotiations], all you have to work off is last year's market," Brzezinski said. "It's relevant obviously. But we have our own business principles that may or may not be like what other teams do."

Many organizations have differing views on their approach to signing picks. Some start at the top and work their way down; others like to open negotiations with their late-round selections. Brzezinski said he has no set rule.

"We talk to everybody simultaneously and wherever we can get a deal that's where we'll pull the trigger," he said. "You just need to be mindful of being able to take the pie and try to budget it accordingly."

The Vikings' picks, along with other rookies, are due to report to training camp July 27 in Mankato. The remainder of the veterans are scheduled to arrive July 30.

Brzezinski knows new coach Brad Childress will want all of his players in camp on time, but Brzezinski stressed the Vikings front office is on the same page when it comes to the rookie deals.

"Coaches always want guys in, and it's important to get them in," he said. "But one thing Brad will support is us doing good contracts. He believes in that. Getting the right business terms. The only reason a guy won't be in on time is if, in the professional opinion of Dave [Blando, the Vikings' director of football administration] and myself, it's not a good deal for the club. Coach has our back on that."

Thank you Josdin for the sig

Re: Vikings Wait to Sign Picks

they'd better not wait to long. a contract negotiation might get sticky and last longer than they want.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Williamson8211" wrote:
    Pretty Interesting Read
    We know. We already read it!

[size=18px]It was already posted yesterday [/size]:wink:

Vikings: Contract talks for draft picks won't intensify for a few weeks

Where is Bill when you need him?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

My bad dont go all hyper on me singer. I should know by now.... Read the threads before you post. I'm SORRY!!!!
    GEEZ

Thank you Josdin for the sig

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Williamson8211" wrote:
    My bad dont go all hyper on me singer. I should know by now.... Read the threads before you post. I'm SORRY!!!!
    GEEZ
    LOL! I'm not going hyper. Just didn't have the pic of the diva or Bill that Prophet has.

All is good

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

"singersp" wrote:
    "Williamson8211" wrote:
    Pretty Interesting Read
    We know. We already read it!

[size=18px]It was already posted yesterday [/size]:wink:

Vikings: Contract talks for draft picks won't intensify for a few weeks

Where is Bill when you need him?
    Click on Bill’s face