Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings Vs Texans- Week 4

Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1107150
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1107139
    I'm surprised no one is harping on Ponder for going head first instead of sliding at the end of his runs.

Oh snap! Forgot it's different now.
    I haven't watched it yet... how often did he do this? With the concussion rules becoming so strict, that is the last damn thing we need a QB to do.
    He rushed 8 times. 1 was a TD, for sure 1 was run out of bounds. He went head 1st I believe 4-5 times. He never slid feet 1st.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1107140
    I'm surprised no one is harping on Ponder for going head first instead of sliding at the end of his runs.

Child please. TJ got ragged on only after he didn't slide and got a knee injury that put him on the shelf. Besides, When you are an actual QB and not just a great athlete then you get by with a few things. It was so refreshing to see both Ponder and Webb extending plays with their feet AND arms and using passes when they are scrambling to get the ball to a WR before just pulling it down and running. Were they perfect? Heck no.But then again with virtually no off season they already look better than Jackson does with the sea chickens and I don't give a ratzazz what string of players any of them were facing.
    Child please! It was something to rag on him about period. Part of the double standard. He got ragged on whenever he did it.

Wonder what you'll say when he throws a jump pass.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Didn't take long to get back to the Tjack comparisons did it? 8 posts in to the Texans thread and BAM! There he is again.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1107150

I haven't watched it yet... how often did he do this? With the concussion rules becoming so strict, that is the last damn thing we need a QB to do.
    Lots.

From the Star-Tribune this AM:
    "You don't want him out there running too much, but you got to let him play," Frazier said. "He has the athletic ability to make plays outside the pocket. You don't want to take that away from him, but in our league when your quarterback is on the run, it does make you hold your breath sometimes."

Especially when he dives headfirst rather than slides.

"Yeah," Frazier said. "He's going to have to learn how to slide."
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

I didn't understand the headfirst dives either. Most of them it was completely unnecessary too, since he already had the first down.

My impressions:

* Ponder is not ready to be an NFL QB. He barely threw from the pocket, and when he did, he was not accurate. Yes, he had some nice runs, but NFL QBs are successful by making throws from the pocket, not by tucking it in and running whenever they feel a little (or a lot of) heat.

* Webb, OTOH, does appears to be more ready. He stood in the pocket (only had 1 scramble) and made throws.

* Both Caleb King and Alexander Robinson looked good as RBs. No way they'll keep 4 tailbacks, so they've got to hope they can get either of those guys onto the practice squad.

* Awasom is a keeper. So is Ballard.

* Longwell kicked into the end zone - wonder what Marty thinks about that?

* Great punting by Kluwe. Hope he finally gets a Pro Bowl nod.

All-in-all, a pretty good effort by the team. Going against a veteran QB who was able to make throws (Leinart), the team still kept Houston out of the end zone, which was a big positive.

Ready for the real thing, now, that's for sure!

=Z=

Ponder doesn't appear close to ready to lead an NFL team. His runs were great last night, but keep in mind he's playing against 2nd-4th string players. I doubt he'd have even close to that success with his feet against a legit starting defense.

As mentioned his throws were often inaccurate as well. Webb is clearly ahead of Ponder and I would have much more faith in Webb as the #2 over Ponder. Ponder has plenty of time to develop and there is absolutely nothing wrong with him sitting as the #3 QB for now. Maybe by mid season he'll surpass Webb.

This is beautiful.

[video size=100 width=425 height=344 type=youtube]_-BaMRO79iA[/video]

=Z=

While I don't think DeImperio is the answer at FB, it is always nice to see someone going hard whenever they are on the field.
    None

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Ponder frustrated me for much of the game because of his inaccuracy, especially on that pass to Rudolph. I hope we draft Luck next year if we are in position to. I'm not giving up on Ponder, but I think Luck has such a higher ceiling than Ponder. But that is neither here nor there right now. Ponder started to get in a better rhythm as the game went on, seems to have good awareness of defenders around him. He needs to learn to slide and not dive, but he only had one head first dive that I can think of and there weren't any defenders in front of him when he did, like when tartardius dove into Ray Lewis's knee. Or whoever that was.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast