singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings vs. Steelers game pre game thoughts & articles

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "ChicagoSteel" wrote:
    Steeler fan here.

Let me give you a little scouting report.

First, the OL is greatly improved.
    While they have still allowed 15 sacks in six games, I'd credit at least half of those to Ben for holding the ball and refusing to throw it away.
    Maybe 10.

But for every sack he takes, he makes twice as many plays downfield.
    As Steeler fans, we take the bad with the good.
    He might be the best in the game at moving defenders with the pump fake.

Rashard Mendenhall has taken over as the #1 back.

He's not only a better runner than Parker, he's a better blocker and receiver, too.

Parker has gone the way of Wally Pipp.

Still, I don't see the Steelers trying to force the run too much on Sunday.

They've turned into a "pass to open up the run" team and Ben is on pace for his best season.

The defense has played well through three quarters, but not in the 4th.

They shut out the Browns in the 4th, but that's not saying much.

Having Polamalu back should help, but losing Aaron Smith will not.
    They are trying to replace him by committee, and looked OK this past week, but again it was Cleveland.

The key to beating the Steelers defense is patience.

Take the underneath stuff they give you and move down the field.

They don't give up a lot of big plays, but are susceptible to the short game.

Should be a great game.
    Love these kinds of matchups.
    Welcome and thanks for the insight.

I live in Cleveland (*barf) and there are a ton of Steelers fans here.
    So, I know the team pretty well and everything you said is right on.

What scares me is Big Ben.
    Guy is hard to bring down and has a knack for making huge plays, with his arm and his legs.

Also, so true about the Browns.
    Cannot ever use that pathetic team to use as an example.

Take care.
    I live in Cleveland too. Where do you go to watch the games?
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ChicagoSteel" wrote:
    Steeler fan here.

While they have still allowed 15 sacks in six games, I'd credit at least half of those to Ben for holding the ball and refusing to throw it away.
    Maybe 10.

He's not only a better runner than Parker, he's a better blocker and receiver, too.

They've turned into a "pass to open up the run" team and Ben is on pace for his best season.

They are trying to replace him by committee, and looked OK this past week, but again it was Cleveland.

Should be a great game.
    Very nice break down.
    Quick question, Is Troy healthy or is his knee still dinged a bit.
    Saw him struggle with it during the last game and have read a few articles were he is sitting out practice.

Maybe I am hoping above hope but it sounds to me like he isn't close to being 100%.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Some KFFL crap for both teams:

Vikings | Peterson limited in practice Wednesday
    Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:59:25 -0700

Minnesota Vikings RB Adrian Peterson (ankle) was limited in practice Wednesday, Oct. 21.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Harvin limited in practice Wednesday
    Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:59:08 -0700

Minnesota Vikings WR Percy Harvin (shoulder) was limited in practice Wednesday, Oct. 21.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Five limited in practice Wednesday
    Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:37:02 -0700

Minnesota Vikings S Husain Abdullah (back), S Eric Frampton (ankle), OT Phil Loadholt (ankle), WR Darius Reynaud (hamstring) and S Madieu Williams (quadriceps) were limited in practice Wednesday, Oct. 21.

Vikings | Wright signed
    Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:06:21 -0700

Vikings.com reports the Minnesota Vikings have signed free-agent CB DeAndre Wright (Lions) to their practice squad.

Vikings | Booty released from practice squad
    Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:58:33 -0700

Vikings.com reports the Minnesota Vikings have released QB John David Booty from their practice squad.

Vikings | Childress said he is not aware of extension
    Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:58:27 -0700

Updating a previous report, Kevin Seifert, of ESPN.com, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress said he is not aware about the team's intention of giving him a contract extension.

Vikings | Winfield not practicing Wednesday
    Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:53:35 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings CB Antoine Winfield (foot) is not participating in practice Wednesday, Oct. 31.

Vikings | Childress near contract extension
    Wed, 21 Oct 2009 06:52:58 -0700

Clark Judge, of CBSSports.com, reports a contract extension is in the works for Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress, with a new deal possible within the next two to three weeks. According to one source, an extension is so close that an announcement could come early next month, but another source indicated that nothing is "imminent."

Vikings | Payne works out Tuesday
    Tue, 20 Oct 2009 19:33:19 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports free-agent WR Logan Payne (Lions) worked out for the Minnesota Vikings Tuesday, Oct. 20.

Vikings | Two more CBs work out Tuesday
    Tue, 20 Oct 2009 19:28:28 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports free-agent CB Mark Parson (Texans) and free-agent CB Trae Williams (Eagles) worked out for the Minnesota Vikings Tuesday, Oct. 20.

Vikings | A. Allen says he is ready if needed
    Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:48:32 -0700

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports Minnesota Vikings CB Asher Allen said he is ready to play in Week 7 if CB Antoine Winfield (foot) is not able to play. Allen has been inactive for every game this season.

Vikings | Expected to work out Wright
    Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:46:52 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings are expected to work out free-agent CB DeAndre Wright (Lions), and he could end up being signed to the practice squad.

=======================
    =======================

Steelers | Mendenhall limited in practice Wednesday
    Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:39:24 -0700

Pittsburgh Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall (knee) was limited in practice Wednesday, Oct. 21.

Steelers | Kirschke misses practice Wednesday
    Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:39:05 -0700

Pittsburgh Steelers DE Travis Kirschke (peronal) missed the team's practice Wednesday, Oct. 21.

Steelers | Ward misses practice Wednesday
    Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:38:37 -0700

Pittsburgh Steelers WR Hines Ward (rest) missed the team's practice Wednesday, Oct. 21.

Steelers | Polamalu misses practice Wednesday
    Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:21:34 -0700

Pittsburgh Steelers SS Troy Polamalu (knee) missed the team's practice Wednesday, Oct. 21.

Steelers | Frazier, Polamalu may be limited this week
    Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:13:43 -0700

Jason Cato and Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, report Pittsburgh Steelers LB Andre Frazier (quadriceps) and SS Troy Polamalu (knee) could be limited during practice this week but are expected to play in Week 7.

Steelers | Mendenhall may be limited this week
    Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:09:04 -0700

Jason Cato and Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, report Pittsburgh Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall (knee) could be limited during practice this week because of a bruised knee but is expected to play in Week 7.

Steelers | Reed to start in Week 7
    Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:02:11 -0700

ESPN.com reports Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said PK Jeff Reed will start in Week 7 despite a recent brush with the law.

Steelers | Mendenhall atop depth chart at running back
    Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:49:06 -0700

Jason Cato and Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports Pittsburgh Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall has surpassed RB Willie Parker (toe) atop the team's depth chart at running back, head coach Mike Tomlin said. "It's great to have Willie back," Tomlin said, "but Rashard has the hot hand if you will."

Steelers | Reed denies fighting with police
    Tue, 20 Oct 2009 07:25:02 -0700

ESPN.com reports the agent for Pittsburgh Steelers PK Jeff Reed, Don Henderson, denied his client tried to fight with police outside a bar Sunday, Oct. 18. Police say Reed took a "fighting stance" when officers arrived to cite TE Matt Spaeth for allegedly urinating in public, and became unruly when police tried to restrain him. "We're contesting it," Henderson told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "It involved somebody else on the team, he got out to try to help and basically got attacked by the police. He was with his parents. He got out and tried to help and evidently they didn't want to hear that ... It was somebody else trying to do something and Jeff ended up getting slammed in the middle."
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"Prophet" wrote:
    Some KFFL crap for both teams:
    You need to post more crap like this......Absolutely love these things.

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports free-agent WR Logan Payne (Lions) worked out for the Minnesota Vikings Tuesday, Oct. 20.
    Thats a head scratcher there.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ChicagoSteel is offline Training Camp

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "ChicagoSteel" wrote:
    Steeler fan here.
    Maybe 10.

Should be a great game.
    Very nice break down.
    Saw him struggle with it during the last game and have read a few articles were he is sitting out practice.

Maybe I am hoping above hope but it sounds to me like he isn't close to being 100%.
    I doubt he's 100%.
    There are numerous reports that he "re-injured" his knee on his INT last week, but those were dispelled.
    His knee hit the ground first when he came down and caused pain, but he didn't sprain the MCL again.
    Bottom line - if he were at risk of re-injuring the knee by coming back early, there's no way he would be out there.

I heard on the radio he missed Wednesday practice, but lots of veterans have Wednesdays off to try and keep them fresh.
    Tomlin ran a hard training camp and practices his first year here and the team wore down and collapsed in December and January.
    Since then he's been more careful with the vets.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"ChicagoSteel" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ChicagoSteel" wrote:
    Steeler fan here.
    Maybe 10.

Should be a great game.
    Very nice break down.

I doubt he's 100%.
    There are numerous reports that he "re-injured" his knee on his INT last week, but those were dispelled.
    His knee hit the ground first when he came down and caused pain, but he didn't sprain the MCL again.
    Bottom line - if he were at risk of re-injuring the knee by coming back early, there's no way he would be out there.

I heard on the radio he missed Wednesday practice, but lots of veterans have Wednesdays off to try and keep them fresh.
    Tomlin ran a hard training camp and practices his first year here and the team wore down and collapsed in December and January.
    It seems to me that a spreadsheet slinging pp.oer is always whining about the Vikings pansy-ass training camp.

Do you really think that how the training camp is run has lingering effects in Dec. and Jan.?
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"Prophet" wrote:
    "ChicagoSteel" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ChicagoSteel" wrote:
    Steeler fan here.
    Maybe 10.

Should be a great game.
    Very nice break down.

I doubt he's 100%.

[size=10pt]It seems to me that a spreadsheet slinging pp.oer is always whining about the Vikings pansy-jiggly butt training camp.[/size]

Do you really think that how the training camp is run has lingering effects in Dec. and Jan.?
    Even though that cat is right about that, he sure is a jerk about rubbing it in with that tackle/be tackeld soapbox
    isn't he.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "ChicagoSteel" wrote:
    Steeler fan here.

Maybe 10.

Should be a great game.
    Very nice break down.

I heard that a reporter asked him how his knee was feeling and he said he put Head and Shoulders on it and it feels better now!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast