Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Vikings vs Saints Official Postgame Discussion

When your QB doesn't come to camp, there will be rust, but this is what you get when you have Favre. I pulled his stats from game 1 last year

1 Sep 13 @ CLE W 34-20 95.3 14 21 110 5.2 21 0 1

Looks pretty much like the same.

Also, I think that the game plan was to protect Favre at all costs and open up the running game may have bottled up the offense. There were many plays where a TE and/or back were left in the help block of chip. This let NO sit back and double down or zone up on our receivers. Not sure if our receivers where blanketet, missing Rice,offensive rust or a little of each. But virtually no production from the outside receivers hurt us on the offensive side. Peterson ran hard and held on to the ball, big plus.

D- Looked good for the most part. Shepherd held his own and it was great to see Henderson's dreads out there again! D-Line provided pressure even though it is tough to put pressure on Brees with his quick release. Overall, would have wanted a W, but it is a long season and the Vikes are definately contenders.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Key stat of the game.
    Peterson has 0 carries in the 4h quarter.
    Yet I believe the turning point of this game was the missed call by the ref on the catch.
    We really hurt ourselves with penalties.
    However, our DL was bullied by the Saints oline. Never thought I would see the day when the Williams wall were dominated.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Well, I've sobered up and have calmed down a bit. Lets see how this comes out now.......

DB's. - They played one hell of a game. Game notes have 3 (possibly 4 can't read my writing) times were they had good enough coverage were Bree's had to check down even though he didn't want to. Should have had one INT as well. Can't drop those.

LB's. - All over the place. Only real playmakers on the field tonight on the defensive side of the ball.

DL. - I am so sick of watching JA get taken upfield wide by one blocker, especially on fricken running plays. WTF. Fred Evans is no Phat Pat. Anyone catch how they gashed us at will on the ground with his ass in there? Absolutley no pressure on the QB with one exception and that was the nice play they had with Ben and Jayme which resulted in a sack. Absolutely horrendous play by this group.

RB's. - AD looked great. Patient to the wholes, two hands on the ball going down, nice blitz pickup, looking good in the passing game. Albert Ablert Ablert.......Can you say CT who? Same comments as AD except in the running catagory, but hey, why the hell were they running him up the A gap anyway. I have him down for 4 nice blitz pickups.

Kept special notes on Tahi (Wildman helped) and I had him with one bad block and 4 nice ones. The bad one is when the LB got AD for a loss of yards. Not sure if that is on Tahi or AD for hitting the wrong hole as Tahi clearly had his head to the side the OL were shading to. I think AD might have missed his cut. Hard to tell so I will keep it on Tahi to make the haters happy.

WR's. - Need to do a better job of getting off the line but I attribute some of that to the packages and the defensive scheme saw with those packages in there. More on that later, but its pretty easy to take a WR out of a passing play with "22" and "23" packages in there (Thats 2 RB/2 TE's and 2 RB/3 TE's).

TE's. I think this group shined. Atleast as much as they could. Loved the blocking, loved them split, loved the pass catching effort by all 3 (Shanc/Dugan/Sauce).

OL. Supposed to be our weakness. Of course the defensive scheme helped (Dropping 8, rushing 3) but these guys did pretty good. Herrera was an absolute monster pulling last night. Loved the limited looks we had of Load over there at LT. Cook did his job as a reserve, like he was supposed to do.

ST's. Loved the coverages. Hell, even Farwell got a tackle (anyone notice how many other Vikes hit the ball carrier before he got there though :laugh: ).

Punting was fine. Nice high hang times allowing the coverage teams to get down there and bottle up Bush.

KOffs. One into the endzone that I saw (I missed two for potty breaks) the rest were all short. On the missed attempt, I don't blame shortwell, Load let his man come through almost untouched.

Coaching.

Defensive Coord. Leslie was so close to getting me on his bandwagon last night. Although I am overall impressed with the effort and gameplan, I can't quite get onboard until he learns to use that DL.

He had both Ray and K-dubb dropping into coverage (together) on the same play for cripes sake. He needs to get a bit rope and tie JA to the RDT so that they can jerk his ass back inside on running plays instead of letting him roam deep as a pass rusher.

Worst of it is, I counted 5 times when the sack should have been there, but the QB had room to step up and avoid the outside rush. Simply shamefull DL if you ask me. 2nd worst unit on the field last night.

Offense. Who do I blame here. Bevs or the Noodle? You guys tell me who our real O-coord is.

For the life of me I can't figure out why we were passing out of those 22 and 23 packages so many times. If you want to pass that much go to a 10 or a 11 set and get some WR's on the field. Cam looked good in the 2 plays he was in that he was targeted on.

QB. Tough one. How do I say what I want to say. No one will listen anyways. I recommend that everyone listen to the Noodles press conference. He says it the best. "I missed throws I should have made".

Anyway, the pass to Percy deep. On the backfield shoulder (instead of the upfield shoulder), Percy had to stutter step to wait for it and clearly lost the 2 or 3 steps he had on the defender who was burned. Short hop and behind on the crossing route to Lewis. Short to Sauce, to far in front and short to Cam....are a few that I am thinking he might have been talking about.

I hope we have history on our side here. He has started slow (because he doesn't come to camp) the last 4 years but picked it up later on in the year.

On a side note. I still wonder what everyone elses take is on with respect to why he kept passing out of running sets, especially when AD was having such a good game to start out with.

In the end we lost. It hurts, hurts bad. But all is not lost. We have a damn fine team that is a bit off thier game in a couple of areas. 15 more left to make things right..........

Smile my PPO friends, they will get better in those areas.......:laugh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox wrote:
    Never thought I would see the day when the Williams wall were dominated.
    Did you watch the rotations?

We were gashed in the run, mostly with Fred out there. Some with Guion, but not quite as bad. Both of those cats stepped in at RDT and K-dubb shifted to Phats Pats spot.

As soon as Phat Pat came in and beefed up as the 0 technique they would shut them down.

Pooooh Pooooh it away, but this defensive line doesn't have any depth and we will be run on at will this year as soon as Phat Pat comes out. I can only hope that the absence of JK might help in that area, but I am not as confident as some seem to be.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tomo21 is offline Waterboy

If you consider the Vikings were the Underdogs in this Game, we can say at least, that there made a good game. After the Touchdown in the first drive i thought this might be a very bad night for the Vikings, but i think the Defense made a good job through the game. The second Quarter was very good. I think the first drive which sadly ended up with only three points, was much more exciting than the one in which the Touchdown happened. Good throw of Favre and a very good catch of Shaincoe.

I think Peterson made a terrific Game too. Favre was good but still a little bit nervous. One sack almost trashed him in the 4th i had the feeling.

14-9, very low score and more expected. I'm sad that the Vikings didn't win because i think they had the Chance to do so.
    None

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

My thoughts:

With Rice out, Favre being rough because missing camp, and a very conservative offense, we just didn't get it done. we had our chances to pull ahead. Berrian is a waste without the threat of Rice, did he lose a step? My opinion all along has been that we never should have let Chester Taylor go. He was like having another starter out there and he could catch and block, very dynamic. We had the money and he was one of Favre favorite targets in a pinch. It was not like he was looking to start since he is playing second fiddle in Chicago too. We are missing him greatly.

Favre looked stale, our receivers didn't spread the field, except our slowest receiver in Shaincoe. I expected Percy to be more involved in the absense of Rice but wasn't. Shaincoe is a beast but if that is our only receiving weapon then it will be easy to stop.

Well, my hope is that it was just some rust and we will hit our stride next week. And it wasn't like the Saints looked like a dream either. We only had to score a TD in the second half to win this one, but we couldn't. The vikes looked decent and should be in the SB mix again this year but it seems like we are missing something. The two top offensive teams last year only had a score of 14 to 9.

PAvikesfan wrote:
    My thoughts:

With Rice out, Favre being rough because missing camp, and a very conservative offense, we just didn't get it done. we had our chances to pull ahead. Berrian is a waste without the threat of Rice, did he lose a step? My opinion all along has been that we never should have let Chester Taylor go. He was like having another starter out there and he could catch and block, very dynamic. We had the money and he was one of Favre favorite targets in a pinch. It was not like he was looking to start since he is playing second fiddle in Chicago too. We are missing him greatly.

Favre looked stale, our receivers didn't spread the field, except our slowest receiver in Shaincoe. I expected Percy to be more involved in the absense of Rice but wasn't. Shaincoe is a beast but if that is our only receiving weapon then it will be easy to stop.

Well, my hope is that it was just some rust and we will hit our stride next week. And it wasn't like the Saints looked like a dream either. We only had to score a TD in the second half to win this one, but we couldn't. The vikes looked decent and should be in the SB mix again this year but it seems like we are missing something. The two top offensive teams last year only had a score of 14 to 9.
    Couple of thoughts.....

The WR's didn't spread the field because we didn't have the packages out there to spread the field. Pretty hard to do with multiple back/TE packages....

Your comment on CT......Are you trying to say that the increase role AD took in the passing game and the way Albert Young played, wasn't good enough, to the point you say we will miss CT?

I think that might be a bit of a reach my friend.

The passing woes last night were nothing more than rust. We will be fine and we won't miss anybody. Atleast thats what it looks like from my foxhole.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Mr Anderson wrote:
    How do you come out flat in a game like this?

Seriously? How is that even possible.

Childress needs to go to a Tony Robins seminar or something.
    I'll tell you how.

1. Your star QB & a few other key players miss all or some of training camp. Last time I checked, Brees was in training camp. But the Favre worshipers (there is a difference between those of us who like & support Favre & those who idolize him)tried selling us that Favre didn't need camp & would be good to go. Once again they were wrong.

2. Your poor excuse for a coach, rests his starters in the game prior to opening day, when clearly they were rusty & needed more time together. Childress will never learn.

3. Your star QB has a streak of 2-10 for completed passes. Where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, last weak TJ did it with backups in a meaningless game over about the same time span & people here wanted to draw & quarter him, yet there's only a mere mention of it here. The accurracy was not there on a good share of his passes. It's not a bash, it's fact. The one to Shiancoe over the middle early was truely a thing of beauty. The INT was il advised.

I trust things will improve as the season goes along, but we shouldn't be working out the kinks & timing issues during the regular season. That is what preseason & TC are for. Last year we had an easier schedule up front making those adjustments & still winning games. This year it's a much tougher schedule up front & those early loses are going to hurt our chances of winning the NFCN if the Packers are clicking early.

I was surprised at how well the front line performed. I thought they'd do much worse than they did, giving up 1 sack. Don't know the status on McKinnie, but as I've said before, I have a major concern with our front line & the lack of depth, a concern Childress obviously doesn't address.

What will Childress do & what will the Favre worshipers say if we go 0-2 & Favre has another loss & another sub-par performance?

BTW, due to lack of preparation on the Vikings part for this game, primarily last week of pre-season, I predicted the Saints to win 24-13.

Hopefully next year Cowher will be here.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    kevoncox wrote:
    Never thought I would see the day when the Williams wall were dominated.
    Did you watch the rotations?

We were gashed in the run, mostly with Fred out there. Some with Guion, but not quite as bad. Both of those cats stepped in at RDT and K-dubb shifted to Phats Pats spot.

As soon as Phat Pat came in and beefed up as the 0 technique they would shut them down.

Pooooh Pooooh it away, but this defensive line doesn't have any depth and we will be run on at will this year as soon as Phat Pat comes out. I can only hope that the absence of JK might help in that area, but I am not as confident as some seem to be.
    Untrue my friend.
    I watched and I always pay attention to the DL. There were plenty of plays where Evans were in but do not make the mistake of assuming that we were not dominated with our starters in there.

Phat actually had a decent game but Kevin Williams, was beat time and time again by their LT on the cut back blocks. The same LT got Phat on a couple of plays as well.
    Simply put the first drive of the 2nd half, Pat was in and they ran it down our throats.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Marrdro wrote:
    PAvikesfan wrote:
    My thoughts:

Couple of thoughts.....

The WR's didn't spread the field because we didn't have the packages out there to spread the field. Pretty hard to do with multiple back/TE packages....

Your comment on CT......Are you trying to say that the increase role AD took in the passing game and the way Albert Young played, wasn't good enough, to the point you say we will miss CT?

I think that might be a bit of a reach my friend.

The passing woes last night were nothing more than rust. We will be fine and we won't miss anybody. Atleast thats what it looks like from my foxhole.
    There was a lot of rust. Some of Favres passes that were completed went for a loss or minimal gain. I gotta agree with PA here, we are going to miss CT this year. The reason you didn't see it last night is because we didn't spread the receivers out or send them deep a lot. Many were dink & dunk quick passes where having the RB block isn't a key necessity so AD was sent out as a check down.

In instances were we do attempt to soread the receivers out & deeper down field, the necessity of a RB who can block will become more apparent & when Favre is sacked because AD allows the defenders thru, that my friend is when you are going to realize how big a loss C-Tay was.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast