Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings vs. Packers pre-game articles, thoughts & predictions

I think Rodgers will be a good qb once he gains more experience. I would agree Ted didn't surround him with talent. But he suffers from what a lot of young inexperienced qb's suffer from.
    He tries to make a play on every single pass. That leads to holding the ball too long at times.
    How else could he get run down and sacked, outside the pocket, without managing to simply dump the ball off.
    I simply can't believe how far those defenders run to sack him at times. Seems he could have thrown the ball away avoiding the sack, but doesn't.
    Inexperience.
    He will be much better when/if Ted gets him some protection.

The defense is another story. Not so sure Dom is all he was billed to be.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Rockmolder" wrote:
    Firstly jargomcfargo.

I don't think that Ted made a mistake by letting Favre go. He might've made a mistake by trusting our D-line in the shape it was. [size=10pt]Rodgers played great.[/size] He was head to head with Favre, untill Favre had his break down. With his experience factored in, he was the better of the two at the beginning of the season. Taking in all the factors, I still think we made the right move.

Now for the biggest difference. In the 2007 season, our D-line was our biggest strength on defense. Kampman - Pickett - Williams/Jolly - Jenkins on 'normal' downs made for a great starting D-line. On passing downs we had an amazing D-line, if you ask me. Kampman - Williams - Jenkins - KGB. That defense did a lot for the team. And of course we had a pretty good offense, as well.

In 2008, we still had that pretty good offense. We traded away Corey Williams for a 2nd, though. Seeing that we had Jolly on regular downs and Jenkins moving in on passing downs, that didn't matter too much. Good trade. Once the season started, though, it became obvious that KGB couldn't get to the QB anymore. Getting a little shalow here, but at least Jenkins could get to the QB, as well. Then, after a few games, Jenkins went down with a season ending injury, leaving us with 3rd round rookie DE/OLB Jeremy Thompson and Michael Montgomery. Needless to say, we couldn't get a whole lot of pressure anymore.

In 2007, we ranked 2nd in yards per game and 4th in total points scored, while our defense was ranked 11th in yards per game and 6th in total points scored on.

In 2008, we ranked 8th in yards per game and 5th in total points scored, while our defense was ranked 20th in yards per game and 11th in total points scored on.

Makes quite a difference on the defensive side. If you can't get any pressure, you're doomed. Especially when your QB keeps getting you in front by 4, only to see his defense give up big play after big play to get the other team a TD. Still shiver when I think of that game against Carolina.

Secondly, ejmat.

I get what you're saying. I wouldn't have boo'd, but I wouldn't have applauded him, either. I mean, on one side, we're the ones that let him go. No matter what happened to lead to his release, he's free to find a new team. On the other side, he wiggled himself out of a contract with the Jets to join our most hated rivals.

It's a little more complicated than that, but you get my point. There's something to be said by both sides. Most people in that stadium just saw him as 'Brett the traitor', though.
    Well, not quite great, but his play was admirable.

As we've seen with Culter and Orton.
    You take a QB that has proven he can win and put him on a team without a supporting cast and you will find that in most cases he will fail, or atleast not play up to par.
    Hell for that matter, isn't our current QB having his best year ever (or pretty close to it)?
    Maybe it has as much to do with the team around him as it does to his physical prowess.

In the end, it appears he is better of a Viking as the team is what he was looking for and Rodgers is a better fit for the PUKERS as he is young and they can rebuild around him, if TT has the brains to get it done.

....snip...., on one side, we're the ones that let him go. No matter what happened to lead to his release, he's free to find a new team. On the other side, he wiggled himself out of a contract with the Jets to join our most hated rivals.
    And by the way, I think this plan has been in the works starting with the accusations that our staff was meddling.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Rockmolder" wrote:
    Firstly jargomcfargo.

I don't think that Ted made a mistake by letting Favre go. He might've made a mistake by trusting our D-line in the shape it was. Rodgers played great. He was head to head with Favre, untill Favre had his break down. With his experience factored in, he was the better of the two at the beginning of the season. Taking in all the factors, I still think we made the right move.

Now for the biggest difference. In the 2007 season, our D-line was our biggest strength on defense. Kampman - Pickett - Williams/Jolly - Jenkins on 'normal' downs made for a great starting D-line. On passing downs we had an amazing D-line, if you ask me. Kampman - Williams - Jenkins - KGB. That defense did a lot for the team. And of course we had a pretty good offense, as well.

In 2008, we still had that pretty good offense. We traded away Corey Williams for a 2nd, though. Seeing that we had Jolly on regular downs and Jenkins moving in on passing downs, that didn't matter too much. Good trade. Once the season started, though, it became obvious that KGB couldn't get to the QB anymore. Getting a little shalow here, but at least Jenkins could get to the QB, as well. Then, after a few games, Jenkins went down with a season ending injury, leaving us with 3rd round rookie DE/OLB Jeremy Thompson and Michael Montgomery. Needless to say, we couldn't get a whole lot of pressure anymore.

In 2007, we ranked 2nd in yards per game and 4th in total points scored, while our defense was ranked 11th in yards per game and 6th in total points scored on.

In 2008, we ranked 8th in yards per game and 5th in total points scored, while our defense was ranked 20th in yards per game and 11th in total points scored on.

Makes quite a difference on the defensive side. If you can't get any pressure, you're doomed. Especially when your QB keeps getting you in front by 4, only to see his defense give up big play after big play to get the other team a TD. Still shiver when I think of that game against Carolina.

Secondly, ejmat.

I get what you're saying. I wouldn't have boo'd, but I wouldn't have applauded him, either. I mean, on one side, we're the ones that let him go. No matter what happened to lead to his release, he's free to find a new team. On the other side, he wiggled himself out of a contract with the Jets to join our most hated rivals.

It's a little more complicated than that, but you get my point. There's something to be said by both sides. Most people in that stadium just saw him as 'Brett the traitor', though.
    I get your point of view too.
    I can see both sides of the story.
    But let's look at the situation.
    The Packers obviously didn't want him anymore.
    Favre still wanted to play.
    At this stage in his career he wanted to go to a team that had a chance to win a superbowl.
    As we all know the Vikes are pretty talented and many believe (including me for the past 2 years) that they were a QB away from being a superbowl contender.
    I am sure Favre knows that too.
    Then he thought the Vikings would be a good fit because of the offense they run.
    No one can blame Favre for wanting to go to the Vikings.
    Next, he is close to Darrell Bevell.
    He is comfortable with him and the offense.
    Unfortunately they happen to be rivals with the Packers and that is why Packer fans are making such a big deal about this.

I agree with you in that Packer fans have the right to see it anyway they want to.
    They could either boo him or applaud him.
    Favre was a big part of changing that team from terrible to a playoff calibur team every year (except 1).
    Even as a Packer I admired Favre.
    I hated when we played him but I loved watching him play.
    He is what football is all about.
    He loves to play the game and that says a lot especailly in this era of play for the money.
    The money is nice but Favre is one of those guys that just loves to play football.
    Everyone has to admire that.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415