Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    As much as I hate the Packers I have zero respect for that kind of thing.

Man up Robison and do something the change the game. Cheap shots are for pussies.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboe View Post
    One cool thing that I noticed in the game today...

On third down if you complete a pass beyond that little yellow line across the field they let you have a new set of downs to play offense instead of having to punt on the next play. I think that may really come in handy in some of the remaining games. In fact I can think of a couple times in the first 6 weeks where that would have been really useful as well.

Anyway Im not sure if anyone else noticed that or not, but it sure jumped out at me!!! Very cool.
    Whodathunkit?

Looks like Musgraves offense might just work with a real QB

Dfoster is offline Rookie
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post

Yes. Smart and wise. Just continue to give reasons to piss off the Green Bay Packers. It's working so well for you. See you in Lambeau, where you have so much success.

I was surprised. I thought that guy doing the kicking was in jail this weekend. Oh, nevermind, it was that other guy. It's difficult to keep up with the comings and goings of your personnel, lol lol lol
    Last edited by Dfoster; 10-23-2011 at 09:09 PM.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    I thought that we were less predictable on Offense which helped us today. It wasn't the Harvin-Peterson show. it was the Ponder-Peterson show. Anyway you slice it, it was less predictable. Instead of a run run combo, we were a run and pass combo.

Ponder did not have a great completion percentage, that is something he will have to work on in the games ahead.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach

On third down if you complete a pass beyond that little yellow line across the field they let you have a new set of downs to play offense instead of having to punt on the next play. I think that may really come in handy in some of the remaining games. In fact I can think of a couple times in the first 6 weeks where that would have been really useful as well.

Anyway Im not sure if anyone else noticed that or not, but it sure jumped out at me!!! Very cool.
    Ha! I noticed that too. It's been so bad that every time we got to 3rd I automatically assumed it was the Packers ball, but then we'd convert. Strange feeling indeed.

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Thanks! Gave me a much needed laugh today! ROFFLE!
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Dfoster is offline Rookie
    Blog Entries
    I was impressed by your pass defense. How the hell our QB threaded the needle on this one-- I'll never know, lol

ok- that's just wrong, I take it all back, lol

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    The good:

1. A loss to the undefeated defending SB champs by only 6 is not too shabby. We gave them a game, and they will remember it.

2. Ponder's composure. Nice job of handling Berger's frequent high snaps. Good vision and sense of pressure.

3. Run defense, up until the final series, and overall defense in short field situations. We held them four times to FGs instead of TDs, then the 58-yarder which is just good on Crosby.

4. Decent balance of play calls, and spreading the ball around well.

5. Adrian Peterson! 24 carries for 175 yds and one TD, after a somewhat slow start. This guy would instantly make most of the teams in the league better.

6. Jared Allen. Two more sacks, now up to 11.5 on the season. A beast in man's clothing.

7. Michael Jenkins, 3 catches for 111 and a TD on the first play from scrimmage of the game.

8. Berrian benched again.
    Jenkins didn't score on that first play. It was pretty awesome though. That was a total set up on the fact that they thought we would come out and run the ball with AD and not let Ponder throw. Good call! JA and AD are BEAST!

The bad:

1. Missing our best two CBs. This secondary as it stands just cannot keep up with fast and high-powered passing offenses.

2. LBs. Terrible in coverage, and showed some poor tackling today. Still good in run defense, but they need to wrap up instead of just hitting. We seriously lack speed here. I like the guys, they usually work hard, but they are just too slow.

3. Stupid penalties, again. Where is the freaking discipline on this team? That comes down squarely in Frazier's lap. There were a few bad calls by the officials, and a few missed for us, but we all know that Green Bay has all of the refs in their pockets, right? (Kidding, but it seems that way some times)

4. Sherels letting that late punt roll down to the two. Granted it kind of died after it looked like it would bounce right into the end zone, but he had a play on it with some room. He should have picked it up, or at least fallen on it at the 20. He's been good so far and this is his first major screwup, so I will allow a pass this once.

5. Harvin got hurt again, re-injuring his ribs. We really could have used him in the second half.
    Jenkins totally had offensive pass interference that wasn't called which would have taken us out of FG range on the 51 yarder that Longwell kicked. Then again, we might have got a first down went in and scored, but my point is that we got some calls or no calls for us too.

Sherels, wasstangin on the 10 yardline I think if I remember right. It use to be that you let them go on the 10, now days, we are seeing more and more guys fair catch them right there. It didn't hurt us in the long run, we got out of there and went down the field.

Harvin? I think it was good that we didn't rely on him so much. I wish that we would produce more in the WR category than the RB. It is nice he is versatile, but I think we were using him too much in a running capacity.

The ugly:

1. The last Packer possession. What the hell happened to the run defense, that had been stout all game long? Especially when we KNEW they were going to have to run in order to try to run the clock out.

2. Two picks for Ponder. Yes, they were rookie mistakes, and the first one was not entirely on him. The second was a gift, though. I will let it slide because it was his first pro start, against a very good team, and he will get better.

3. Stupid, stupid, STUPID penalties. It's important enough ot be mentioned again. Like the kicking thing on Robison. Take away his crayons and send him to bed without dessert.

In summation, I can't be too unhappy. We were expected to lose, and hung in there much better than anyone had a right to believe. This was probably our best performance in a loss so far this year, and against what is arguably the best team in the league. We made a huge turnaround from that embarrassment of last week at Chicago.

In my pre-season estimate, I had us at 2-5 at this point, so I'm only off by one game. Even with that start, I still had us finishing 8-8. So now, 7-9 is looking pretty good to me. I still believe we will continue to improve and will beat some decent teams in the second half.

But it all starts next week with the Panthers. Put together another performance like today's, minus the stupid mistakes, and we should win that one handily. Newton will probably get his yards and a few TDs, but our Offense should destroy them.

Oh, and as 12pp28 said above, the punt WAS the right call, despite how it turned out. There was no reason to believe they would suddenly be able to rush against us, and a missed conversion attempt already had them in FG range to put it out of reach. If Rodgers beat us passing, so be it. But odds were they would try to run the ball to ice the game, and we had been shutting that down pretty effectively all day. We had all almost three minutes, three timeouts left, and they had none. Even one first down for them would not have killed us.

One interesting stat from this game:

Total yards - Vikings 435, Packers 421.
    I agree with the UGLY

The punt was the right call, the Pack ran over the top of us and that is all she wrote.

The yardage stat is very interesting.

The difference in the game was the guy with the perfect (or near) QB rating won. The guy is on fire.

poisoning16 is offline Rookie
    Great playcall by the Vikes to open the game. Thought they'd do exactly that to start it out. Pack would be stacking the box to stop AP and they call PA and let the rookie throw it deep. Don't get why the Pack ran the ball so much in the 2nd half, especially when they were up 10 and had 1st and goal at about the 5. They decided to run it twice and had to settle for 3. Not a freakin run team, put it in Rodgers hands and let him get a TD there

Division games are always tricky. On paper this should have been a blowout, but crazy things happen in that dome. Packers did better in the 2nd half against the rookie, but he really started to get things going on those last few drives. Vikes might actually have something here. Was impressed with Ponder throwing on the run. He took some hits and still delivered some strikes. If Mcnabb started this game they never get within 7. It is painfully obvious that Ponder provides much more

I expect the Vikes to be a lot more competitive this 2nd half of the season as Ponder continues to take his lumps and experience the usual growing pains.

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator
    IMO, Ponder is going to be great! Luck who?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast