Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    CbusVikefan is offline Training Camp
    I myself too am wondering what is up with the LB play. I can't believe these guys are not living up to their potential.

TheKnuck is offline Asst. Coach
    Thankful that GB started running the ball towards the 3rd quarter on and didn't throw the ball at will on our secondary. I honestly think they were taking it easy on us after they went up 27-17 with 20 unanswered points. Rodgers could have had 400+ yards and 4td's easy.

Other than that, very pleased with our offense today. Can't wait to watch Ponder again. Thank you AP and thank you receivers for catching the ball.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    *sigh* We had no business even being in this game and there we were, right in it, and we found yet another way to lose. It's really getting old. Seriously WTF is Frazier doing at halftime that we play so gawd awful in 3rd quarters? Why are we always out adjusted and out coached in 2nd halves? I seriously want to know. I demand to know! Please please, for the love of god, keep Frazier away from the team at halftime from now on.

The punt was the right call, and I thought it was the 2nd best decision of Fraziers career (starting Ponder was 1st), but who would've thought our bread n butter run stuffing D would pick the best time of the game to take a dump when everyone in the world knew they WERE RUNNING the damn ball?! Frustrating!

Instead of seeing "Ponder leads incredible 4th Q comeback to beat rivals and defending champs in first game" we see "Pass D gets shredded, Run D takes a dump at the end and Vikings lose again".

Hats off to most of the team though, glad they showed up and gave the Packers a scare for at least 3 quarters. I was really worried we'd get embarrassed 45-7 or something. Ponder played as I expected, flashes of someone that could be exciting to watch in the future, but reminded us we'll have to be patient. I think his down field accuracy and ability to convert 3rd downs loosened up the Packers and allowed AP to have a big game. Maybe we can find 5 more wins on the schedule if this continues. Very exciting game. Just frustrated we can never find ways to win games like this.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    The good:

1. A loss to the undefeated defending SB champs by only 6 is not too shabby. We gave them a game, and they will remember it.

2. Ponder's composure. Nice job of handling Berger's frequent high snaps. Good vision and sense of pressure.

3. Run defense, up until the final series, and overall defense in short field situations. We held them four times to FGs instead of TDs, then the 58-yarder which is just good on Crosby.

4. Decent balance of play calls, and spreading the ball around well.

5. Adrian Peterson! 24 carries for 175 yds and one TD, after a somewhat slow start. This guy would instantly make most of the teams in the league better.

6. Jared Allen. Two more sacks, now up to 11.5 on the season. A beast in man's clothing.

7. Michael Jenkins, 3 catches for 111 and a TD on the first play from scrimmage of the game.

8. Berrian benched again.

The bad:

1. Missing our best two CBs. This secondary as it stands just cannot keep up with fast and high-powered passing offenses.

2. LBs. Terrible in coverage, and showed some poor tackling today. Still good in run defense, but they need to wrap up instead of just hitting. We seriously lack speed here. I like the guys, they usually work hard, but they are just too slow.

3. Stupid penalties, again. Where is the freaking discipline on this team? That comes down squarely in Frazier's lap. There were a few bad calls by the officials, and a few missed for us, but we all know that Green Bay has all of the refs in their pockets, right? (Kidding, but it seems that way some times)

4. Sherels letting that late punt roll down to the two. Granted it kind of died after it looked like it would bounce right into the end zone, but he had a play on it with some room. He should have picked it up, or at least fallen on it at the 20. He's been good so far and this is his first major screwup, so I will allow a pass this once.

5. Harvin got hurt again, re-injuring his ribs. We really could have used him in the second half.

The ugly:

1. The last Packer possession. What the hell happened to the run defense, that had been stout all game long? Especially when we KNEW they were going to have to run in order to try to run the clock out.

2. Two picks for Ponder. Yes, they were rookie mistakes, and the first one was not entirely on him. The second was a gift, though. I will let it slide because it was his first pro start, against a very good team, and he will get better.

3. Stupid, stupid, STUPID penalties. It's important enough ot be mentioned again. Like the kicking thing on Robison. Take away his crayons and send him to bed without dessert.

In summation, I can't be too unhappy. We were expected to lose, and hung in there much better than anyone had a right to believe. This was probably our best performance in a loss so far this year, and against what is arguably the best team in the league. We made a huge turnaround from that embarrassment of last week at Chicago.

In my pre-season estimate, I had us at 2-5 at this point, so I'm only off by one game. Even with that start, I still had us finishing 8-8. So now, 7-9 is looking pretty good to me. I still believe we will continue to improve and will beat some decent teams in the second half.

But it all starts next week with the Panthers. Put together another performance like today's, minus the stupid mistakes, and we should win that one handily. Newton will probably get his yards and a few TDs, but our Offense should destroy them.

Oh, and as 12pp28 said above, the punt WAS the right call, despite how it turned out. There was no reason to believe they would suddenly be able to rush against us, and a missed conversion attempt already had them in FG range to put it out of reach. If Rodgers beat us passing, so be it. But odds were they would try to run the ball to ice the game, and we had been shutting that down pretty effectively all day. We had all almost three minutes, three timeouts left, and they had none. Even one first down for them would not have killed us.

One interesting stat from this game:

Total yards - Vikings 435, Packers 421.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    In my opinion...Turning point of the Game... Abdullah's blown coverage for a Td, then three and out and the long punt return. We were in cover two, the safety can't give up the deep ball. Oh yes, and our lb cant cover shit and apparently can't fill the holes and allows them to run out the clock. Highlight of the game. Robison's kick to the quans! If you can't win, then kick 'em in the balls!

Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutViking View Post
    In my opinion...Turning point of the Game... Abdullah's blown coverage for a Td, then three and out and the long punt return. We were in cover two, the safety can't give up the deep ball. Oh yes, and our lb cant cover shit and apparently can't fill the holes and allows them to run out the clock. Highlight of the game. Robison's kick to the quans! If you can't win, then kick 'em in the balls!
    I'm completely done with our DB crew.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutViking View Post
    Oh man was that hilarious! Slow motion and all. Somebody needs to post a screenshot of that.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe4cheese View Post
    Oh man was that hilarious! Slow motion and all. Somebody needs to post a screenshot of that.
    I missed it. What happened?

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer
    One cool thing that I noticed in the game today...

On third down if you complete a pass beyond that little yellow line across the field they let you have a new set of downs to play offense instead of having to punt on the next play. I think that may really come in handy in some of the remaining games. In fact I can think of a couple times in the first 6 weeks where that would have been really useful as well.

Anyway Im not sure if anyone else noticed that or not, but it sure jumped out at me!!! Very cool.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast