Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Webby they don't have to run it. With Rodgers they would do what they had to for a first down I think. It just so happens that the run worked for them right off the bat. If it hadn't he would have tried to pass for a first down. Two first downs and the game is over. I don't assume it was going to be run run run punt.

WWBGD

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    There's one more big reason why the punt was correct.

On a failed 4th down attempt, the Packers are ALREADY in Field Goal range without using a single down. That makes it a two score gap (9 points).

Fail on the attempt and the game is over, period. At least the punt gives you a chance to hold them and get the ball back.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Good. Because it takes 5 consecutive years of starts before you can know if a QB is going to work out.
    Um, no it doesn't.

Name 1 QB who started 80 games & the jury was still out.

Being on the roster 5 years & actually starting every game possible over those 5 years are two complete different things.

Your mentality would have ousted Rodgers out of GB years ago because he didn't do squat for his 1st three years.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Um, no it doesn't.

Name 1 QB who started 80 games & the jury was still out.

Being on the roster 5 years & actually starting every game possible over those 5 years are two complete different things.

Your mentality would have ousted Rodgers out of GB years ago because he didn't do squat for his 1st three years.

Sorry. I was just using your template for evaluating Jackson. If you remember I stuck a fork in him after his second year and spent the following years telling you he sucked. If you want to talk about my mentality you might want to reference how that subject worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Should be able to stop them. We did before. Punt was the right call. 3 TO plus 2 mn warning, plus good field position if we stop the run (our strength).
    I disagree. Perhaps if it was a different offense than GB's, I'd think differently.

1. Only once in the 11 drives GB had in the game did we stop GB on a 3 & out & force them to punt. Once!

2. The "better field position" fans & analysts kept saying we would have had is in error. If they only get 9 yards on that drive, they are punting on their own 44. On their previous punt, they were punting 10 yards deeper & we started at the 2 yard line. A punt 10 yards closer would have started us at the 20 at best. Especially considering our average punt return was 6 yards. We were previously on the 36.

3. If we get the ball back, we are probably looking at 1st & 10 at the 20YL, with approx 2 minutes to play, with 80 yards to go & only 1 opportunity to stop the clock, via the 2 minute warning or T.O. Not very good odds.

OTOH, if we go for it on 4th & make the 10 yards, we have a 1st down at the 46YL, 54 yards, 3 T.O.s, a 2 minute warning to stop the clock & approx. 2-1/2 minutes to go. I like those odds better.

Sorry. I was just using your template for evaluating Jackson. If you remember I stuck a fork in him after his second year and spent the following years telling you he sucked. If you want to talk about my mentality you might want to reference how that subject worked out.
    Um, no. 5 years is not my mentality. If you're going to start a guy, start him for two years & allow him to play. Then make your decision. Not allowing your QB to audible & change a play if the defense shows something different is poor coaching. Childress did that with every single QB we had since 2006 including Favre. Favre just ignored him for the most part.

Knee jerking a QB around & pulling him & re-staring him here & there just ends up prolonging judgement & keeps them on the roster to long, impeding growth of the team who's trying to find a franchise QB.

I've said many a time, we should have started him all of 2008 & then we could have moved on & drafted a new QB in 2009. Instead we ended up keeping him on the roster 2 additional years which set us back two additional years.

Canning him after 2007 would have been premature. Especially after he was 8-4 as a starter.

Blog Entries
    And some of us saw he was what he was without 2 consecutive years of starts. We just had no delusions that he could ever be more than what he was.

And some of us saw he was what he was without 2 consecutive years of starts. We just had no delusions that he could ever be more than what he was.
    Some of you hated him from day 1 simply because "their guy" (Young, Leinhart, Croyle, Cutler, Clemmens, Whitehurst) wasn't drafted instead of TJ & because he didn't come from a big name school. BTW, what happened to most of those QB's fans wanted us to take?

Fans were hating on him before he even threw an NFL pass & even more so when we lost to GB in 2006.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Some of you hated him from day 1 simply because "their guy" (Young, Leinhart, Croyle, Cutler, Clemmens, Whitehurst) wasn't drafted instead of TJ & because he didn't come from a big name school. BTW, what happened to most of those QB's fans wanted us to take?
    Are you specifically putting me in that category or are you referring to other posters?

Fans were hating on him before he even threw an NFL pass & even more so when we lost to GB in 2006.
    Are you referring to me again or some random fan base? Your statement is interesting because what I remember was fans being cautiously optimistic about him and were hoping he would become a franchise type QB.

My version of events played out that fans tired of him only after seeing several mediocre performances of un aggressive play with few mistakes but fewer spectacular plays and the all too frequent injuries that seemed to pop up.

How times have changed......

Are you specifically putting me in that category or are you referring to other posters?

Are you referring to me again or some random fan base? Your statement is interesting because what I remember was fans being cautiously optimistic about him and were hoping he would become a franchise type QB.

My version of events played out that fans tired of him only after seeing several mediocre performances of un aggressive play with few mistakes but fewer spectacular plays and the all too frequent injuries that seemed to pop up.

How times have changed......
    No, I'm not referring to you specifically. "Some of you" was in response to "some of us". I didn't think you were referring to yourself singly.

Some fans were hating on him the day he was drafted & the word T-Joke came out long before the 2007 season played out.

While you tired of him only after seeing several mediocre performances of un aggressive play with few mistakes, that wasn't true of the entire fan base here.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011