Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I don't think he was a better option. 3 teams cut him for a reason. He might have been a little more accurate in a passing, but he has no legs & would have been sacked more often than Webb.

It was bad enough trying to start a QB in a playoff game that hadn't see regular season action since last year. Imaging how bad it could have been trying to start a QB in a playoff game that hadn't see regular season action since 2008 other than 3 snaps to take a knee.

Max is spot on with his hindsight comment. That's exactly what it is. Webb has come in before without teams preparing for him & he has performed decent. A lot better than what we saw last night.

IMO, Starting a QB who last played in a game 5 years ago (Sage) would have been disastrous.
    I still think Sage's experience would have been huge on this team if nothing else. He was seldom used, so saying he didn't at least have a chance to be better than Webb was last night is going out on a limb. The fact of the matter is that the Vikings went into the season with a 2nd year QB as the starter, a 3rd year QB who barely saw any action as the backup, and a rookie as the 3rd string. What does that tell you? They got rid of Rosenfels because they didn't want the pretty boy Ponder to get all baffled and be looking over his shoulder when he messed up.

If they git rid of Rosenfels because they felt that he wasn't capable of leading this team if Ponder went down, then they should have signed or traded for a different QB who would have been capable of leading the way when Ponder went down. I bet if the Vikings had Matt Flynn last night, things would have been a little different. When you have a QB group of Ponder, Webb, and Bethel-Thompson, you can't seriously be expecting much, especially when you put a who's who of WR's in there to lead them.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
    NO blame to the defense at all, they held GB to 24. I think if you expected less than you’re dreaming. If I was AP I would be pissed for not getting the ball enough. The play calling was horrible. If I was the offensive coordinator I would not have put the game on the shoulders of a second string QB.
    Exactly! On the road in the playoffs vs. one of the best Offenses in the whole league we held them to 24 points!??! And with the O turning the ball over 3 TIMES!!? Pretty freaking good effort by our D.

We stopped them twice in the first half and 5 times in a row in the second half (after they opened it with a scoring drive) giving our offense every chance to score some points, which they failed to do until it was entirely too late.

Disappointing game to be sure, but, as expected, we looked like we didn't belong in the playoffs, because we didn't. However, we have a good, young team with a lot of room for improvement from kids who are already starting. In just 2 years, we've gone from one of the oldest teams in the league to one of the youngest, AND! Won TEN games and a playoff spot in that 2nd year after fielding a 3-13 squad just a year earlier. I think Frazier deserves a look for Coach of the Year.

Our holes are fewer and even more obvious, IF we can pull off another successful draft like the last, and maybe sign a difference making FA or two, I see no reason why we can't or won't compete for our division next year, and for several seasons after!@!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

marshallvike is online now Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Exactly! On the road in the playoffs vs. one of the best Offenses in the whole league we held them to 24 points!??! And with the O turning the ball over 3 TIMES!!? Pretty freaking good effort by our D.

We stopped them twice in the first half and 5 times in a row in the second half (after they opened it with a scoring drive) giving our offense every chance to score some points, which they failed to do until it was entirely too late.

Disappointing game to be sure, but, as expected, we looked like we didn't belong in the playoffs, because we didn't. However, we have a good, young team with a lot of room for improvement from kids who are already starting. In just 2 years, we've gone from one of the oldest teams in the league to one of the youngest, AND! Won TEN games and a playoff spot in that 2nd year after fielding a 3-13 squad just a year earlier. I think Frazier deserves a look for Coach of the Year.

Our holes are fewer and even more obvious, IF we can pull off another successful draft like the last, and maybe sign a difference making FA or two, I see no reason why we can't or won't compete for our division next year, and for several seasons after!@!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!
    We beat San Fran, Houston and Green Bay.We pretty much ruined Chicago's season with that late season win and swept Detroit. We did belong in the playoffs. We earned it. Just sucks Ponder got hurt this week to limit us now.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Not good. I suspect Webb will not be here next year but he is a class act and wish him well. Is Mcleod that bad that they wouldnt even consider him in the second half?

Ponder must have been in rough shape.

We had a small chance with Ponder and very little with Webb. We had to play a spectacular game mistake free to pull off a win. We stalled on offense and the defense played well as far as I am concerned, considering how long they were on the field.

Need a serious quarterback to backup and pudh Ponder next year.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

same old

Yes it was huge and stupid, just like the 12-men-on-the-field penalty that gave them a 1st and goal situation out of a FG try.[/QUOTE]
    Just like NFC championship game when chilly had 12 on the field and pushed us out of fg range
    Against the aints
    I'll never get over that
    None

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    I really think that the coaching staff expected more from Webb. They seemed to have confidence in him before kick off. If Webb had a back up, they may have felt better about more option plays. I thought the initial run of option plays were working well.

I am not sure that the coaches are going to give up on Webb. But they should explore another option in the draft or free agency.

I thought Ponder looked good the last two games of the season, too bad he didn't get to play.

Without a QB to make accurate throws, even for short gains to move the chains, it makes AD not as effective.

Brewtal is offline Starter
    Vikings need to send both Ponder and Webb walking. Webb because he is not a QB and Ponder because he is a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtal View Post
    Vikings need to send both Ponder and Webb walking. Webb because he is not a QB and Ponder because he is a bitch.
    Good thing you're not the GM. We would be back to 3-13. You'd be brewtal
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    I really think that the coaching staff expected more from Webb. They seemed to have confidence in him before kick off. If Webb had a back up, they may have felt better about more option plays. I thought the initial run of option plays were working well.

I am not sure that the coaches are going to give up on Webb. But they should explore another option in the draft or free agency.

I thought Ponder looked good the last two games of the season, too bad he didn't get to play.

Without a QB to make accurate throws, even for short gains to move the chains, it makes AD not as effective.
    I think you are right snow. Although I thought the game was over when Ponder was ruled inactive, I expected more from Webb than what we saw last night. The coaches surely thought he would perform better than that. I hope they find some way for him to help us.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Good thing you're not the GM. We would be back to 3-13. You'd be brewtal
    I, for one, appreciate you being Brewtally honest...and, correct.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast