Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    We had a better backup option, his name was Shane Rosenfels. However he was to "old" supposedly for this youth movement the Vikings are in, and they didn't want there pretty boy Ponder to think there was a competition going on.
    I don't think he was a better option. 3 teams cut him for a reason. He might have been a little more accurate in a passing, but he has no legs & would have been sacked more often than Webb.

It was bad enough trying to start a QB in a playoff game that hadn't see regular season action since last year. Imaging how bad it could have been trying to start a QB in a playoff game that hadn't see regular season action since 2008 other than 3 snaps to take a knee.

Max is spot on with his hindsight comment. That's exactly what it is. Webb has come in before without teams preparing for him & he has performed decent. A lot better than what we saw last night.

IMO, Starting a QB who last played in a game 5 years ago (Sage) would have been disastrous.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Well its been a good season. I didn't feel helpless but this game probably cost Peterson the MVP award.
    Just wanted to end the year on a couple of notes

1. Spielman needs to get his head out of hit butt or hit the door. We are pathetic on offense and we need a complete revamping of our Offense. Two WRs need to be brought in. 1 drafted, 1 signed. I am not talking about the Donny Avery type either. I am talking Jennings, Bowe etc. We cannot compete without being able to score. Too many games we expect the defense to play at a Hall of Fame level while the offense limps to the win. We need to have a team that the Offense can cover for the defense and vice versa.

2. Cutting Sage was a mistake, I said it then and I say it now. I never asked for Joe Webb and I knew he would never be an NFL QB. I hope those calling for Webb will never do so again. Good or bad Ponder is our QB for now. I have accepted that but since an upgrade won't be sought, we need to present a solid backup. Jason Campbell has my vote although, I think he will outplay Ponder.

3. As much as I like Allen, he has to go. He has lost a step and is not a dominant force. Ask yourself, when was the last time you saw him beat a guy. 99% of the sacks I see him get is from a play where the QB gets flushed and he falls into Allen's lap. The guy is just not dominant. His last true sack was from the fight he got his nose opened. Trade the guy and move on. Teams are playing him 1 on 1 and he is not winning..... on 2nd thought....he was playing with an injury this year so who knows.

4. Rogers has no fear of the Tampa 2... None... it's a defense that simply does not work against him. We need to play him differently. I'm not sure what, but we need to treat him like teams treated Vick and others and design a defense to use strictly when we play him. He loves the tampa and eats it up.

5. Good year but I am heart broken, another year without a title. Will I ever see one?
    Last edited by kevoncox; 01-06-2013 at 09:08 AM.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I don't think he was a better option. 3 teams cut him for a reason. He might have been a little more accurate in a passing, but he has no legs & would have been sacked more often than Webb.

It was bad enough trying to start a QB in a playoff game that hadn't see regular season action since last year. Imaging how bad it could have been trying to start a QB in a playoff game that hadn't see regular season action since 2008 other than 3 snaps to take a knee.

Max is spot on with his hindsight comment. That's exactly what it is. Webb has come in before without teams preparing for him & he has performed decent. A lot better than what we saw last night.

IMO, Starting a QB who last played in a game 5 years ago (Sage) would have been disastrous.
    I disagree. Webb has come in and looked decent. He has never looked the part of an NFL passer.
    Not the eagles game, not the bears or lions game. He has looked like an athlete and project. Sage would not have had the defenses collapsing on him like Webb did. They completely ignored the passes and Sage would have atleast made them pay for it. Sage is no Manning foot wise, he is quick enough to slide and I like what he brings to the table. However, had we lost with Sage, people would be clamoring for Webb's feet.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I wonder what the higher statistical total from yesterday was. Yards Webb overthrew/underthrew a receiver, or Peterson's rushing yards.....

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I disagree. Webb has come in and looked decent. He has never looked the part of an NFL passer.
    Not the eagles game, not the bears or lions game. He has looked like an athlete and project. Sage would not have had the defenses collapsing on him like Webb did. They completely ignored the passes and Sage would have atleast made them pay for it. Sage is no Manning foot wise, he is quick enough to slide and I like what he brings to the table. However, had we lost with Sage, people would be clamoring for Webb's feet.
    LOL, and your basing that on what? What he was able to do 5 years ago? That was 5 years ago, not now. In 2009 he wasn't even quick enough to run a bootleg without getting tackled from behind. Sage would have still had the defense collapsing on him just as Webb did.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    LOL, and your basing that on what? What he was able to do 5 years ago? That was 5 years ago, not now. In 2009 he wasn't even quick enough to run a bootleg without getting tackled from behind. Sage would have still had the defense collapsing on him just as Webb did.

Webb looked like the second coming of Spergeon Wynn. There is absolutely no doubt that Sage would have been a better answer just on the fact he wouldn't have gotten as flustered and floundered like Webb did the first time he felt pressure. Good gad man, when you are about to get sacked and you flail the ball straight up in the air (not once mind you but multiple times) that is a clear sign you are not ready to be put in the situation you are in.

I don't remember the last time that I witnessed such a total clusterf*&k as I watched last night with Webb.

And that is EXACTLY why I thought it would be good to put Webb in a few times this year when Ponder was struggling to see how he would react and what would happen with the team around him. Instead we get to find out on national television in a playoff game in front to the world. yeah, that was such a better plan.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    We just need new QB's. Cut all of them and get some guys that can play in the nfl. This isn't college ball. Thats the level our QB's play at.

WWBGD

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    I'm still trying to figure out how McCarthy had the benefit of the extra time at end of the quarter to decide to challenge the TD play, decides to challenge it after they watch replays of it & then after successfully challenging it, there's still 28 seconds left to go in the quarter.
    I think you can challenge any time until the next snap of the ball. When they ruled no TD McCarthy lets the clock run down on the quarter and then challenges after seeing the replays, when they win the challenge they have to put the time back on the clock.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Well its been a good season. I didn't feel helpless but this game probably cost Peterson the MVP award.
    Just wanted to end the year on a couple of notes

1. Spielman needs to get his head out of hit butt or hit the door. We are pathetic on offense and we need a complete revamping of our Offense. Two WRs need to be brought in. 1 drafted, 1 signed. I am not talking about the Donny Avery type either. I am talking Jennings, Bowe etc. We cannot compete without being able to score. Too many games we expect the defense to play at a Hall of Fame level while the offense limps to the win. We need to have a team that the Offense can cover for the defense and vice versa.

2. Cutting Sage was a mistake, I said it then and I say it now. I never asked for Joe Webb and I knew he would never be an NFL QB. I hope those calling for Webb will never do so again. Good or bad Ponder is our QB for now. I have accepted that but since an upgrade won't be sought, we need to present a solid backup. Jason Campbell has my vote although, I think he will outplay Ponder.

3. As much as I like Allen, he has to go. He has lost a step and is not a dominant force. Ask yourself, when was the last time you saw him beat a guy. 99% of the sacks I see him get is from a play where the QB gets flushed and he falls into Allen's lap. The guy is just not dominant. His last true sack was from the fight he got his nose opened. Trade the guy and move on. Teams are playing him 1 on 1 and he is not winning..... on 2nd thought....he was playing with an injury this year so who knows.

4. Rogers has no fear of the Tampa 2... None... it's a defense that simply does not work against him. We need to play him differently. I'm not sure what, but we need to treat him like teams treated Vick and others and design a defense to use strictly when we play him. He loves the tampa and eats it up.

5. Good year but I am heart broken, another year without a title. Will I ever see one?
    kevon, you make some good points here, but if you were expecting a title this year after the mess Childress left this team in, you were fooling yourself.
    Last year was the first draft that Spielman called the shots. He did a damn fine job. As far as free agents, we had so many holes to fill that signing free agents seemed to be at least a year off. Build a core thru the draft first, then fill the holes with free agents. Little did we know that Frazier and co would do so well with the talent this year. Surprised the spit out of me. I thought he was lacking as a head coach. Guess I was wrong.
    Jared did not play up to his normal level this year. Has he lost a step? Maybe. But I thought I heard he has been playing with a torn labrum this year. I know you played football. How tough is it to fight off a block with one arm? Remember he also had an off year two years ago and many said he was done then. Last year he came back with a phenomenal season.
    I tend to lean toward your belief that Sage may have been a better answer as a backup for us. Who knows? What the hell happened to "I am light years ahead" Thompson? Is he that bad that they couldn't put him in after Joe put up 6 yds in the air in the first half? I feel bad for JW. He has amazing talent and we have not found a way to utilize it. Doesn't seem to be at QB.
    With you on the T2 also. I hate that D. We have done prety well with it this year when we have controlled the ball and kept the D fresh, but when we play three and out or play from behind they seem to get gassed and then get eaten up.
    All in all though, this has been a fantastic season considering our expectations at the beginning of the year.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Webb looked like the second coming of Spergeon Wynn. There is absolutely no doubt that Sage would have been a better answer just on the fact he wouldn't have gotten as flustered and floundered like Webb did the first time he felt pressure. Good gad man, when you are about to get sacked and you flail the ball straight up in the air (not once mind you but multiple times) that is a clear sign you are not ready to be put in the situation you are in.

I don't remember the last time that I witnessed such a total clusterf*&k as I watched last night with Webb.

And that is EXACTLY why I thought it would be good to put Webb in a few times this year when Ponder was struggling to see how he would react and what would happen with the team around him. Instead we get to find out on national television in a playoff game in front to the world. yeah, that was such a better plan.
    The difference is, you knew none of that before the game. People are quick to say Sage would have played better, but only in hindsight. How many of those Sage fanatics were making the claim that we should have kept & started Sage BEFORE the game?

You can't claim Sage wouldn't have been flustered or floundered. As far as interceptions go, Sage threw 9 of them in his last 5 starts & lost the last 4 games he's played in sans only to take a knee.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast