Vikings vs Lions With No Ponder Discussion
As the Ponder talk is kind of getting out of hand and taking over the other thread, I thought it would be nice to hear everyone's thoughts about other aspects of the game, which should give us a chance to do some actual analysis of the game beyond just "OMG, Ponder sucks!1!". So absolutely NO mentioning of Ponder in this thread!
+ Jerome Simpson made a couple of nice catches. He looked really good out there. Maybe keeping him around was the right call after all. After how many times he's let us down, it still seems like he's He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's favorite receiver.
+ Harrison Smith was everywhere. He is so fun to watch
+ We shut down Calvin Johnson, in fact, their entire receiving corp was held to under 150 yards, despite our lack of pass rush, so our secondary played really well, even Josh Robinson. Rhodes looked solid out there.
- Our defense was absolutely terrible. They probably should have given up closer to 45 points
- Our defensive line didn't get much pressure, although we had a few nice bat-downs
- The linebacking was terrible. We absolutely could not handle their runningbacks. Not in the run game or the passing game. Why in the world is Bishop not playing?
- Our offensive line was not very good, especially in the run game
- And I forgot to mention the coaching. The playcalling was terrible. We're really going to run draws and swing passes when down by two scores with under 5 minutes to go? We're so predictable. It seems like we don't really gameplan for teams, we just kind of do our thing, which has proven to be ineffective. It was interesting to watch the 49ers play after the Vikings, because there were so many plays and situations that you could tell they ran based on the tendencies of the other team or something they picked up on during the course of the game, both on offense and defense, and they were successful for the most part. I feel like we never see that with the Vikings.
Also, no Patterson or Bishop? Come on.
Overall, we were bad, really bad. There were a couple bright spots, but they were few and far between. We could be in for a long season if we don't get better in a hurry.