sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Vikings vs. Giants...AGAIN

This will be the fifth year in a row that the Vikings will play the New York Giants. We have developed something of a rivalry with the Giants and it began after the miserable NFC championship in 2000, the worst defeat in Viking history. The next year the Vikings, despite having a season where just about everything went wrong, had the satisfaction of beating the Giants on national TV during a Monday Night Football game in which Daunte threw 3 TD passes to Randy Moss. Then in the 2002 season, the
    Vikings lost in a very close contest. They had the lead but the Giants went on an 80 yard drive and Tiki Barber scored the game winning TD. The Giants were favored anyway, a playoff bound team while the Vikings were struggling again. But in 2003 the Vikings got off to a 6-0 start and this time it was the Giants who were the underdogs. But the Giants dealt the Vikes their first defeat of the season and the Vikings never seemed to completely recover until later on. Now in 2004 the two teams will match up again, on Halloween in the Metrodome. Just like last year the Vikings SHOULD be favored. At this point they are the better team. But we all know how the Vikings have struggled to beat this Giant team and although they will not be one of the tougher games on our schedule we can't look past it. I mean we've played these guys so many times now we might as well be in the same freakin' division.

Vikings offense vs. Giants defense: The Giants front 7 underwent a huge change this offseason. Many of the players that made this unit one of the best defenses in the league a couple years ago are now gone. Like the Vikes D, the Giants have a lot of young players. On the line, Michael Strahan is the only true veteran; Cornelius Griffin and Keith Hamilton are gone. Strahan is the best DE in the league right now but there are a lot of doubts about the rest of the line which will include last year's first round draft pick William Joseph. All of last year's starting LBs are gone as well, replaced by Nick Greisen at MLB and free agents Barrett Green a former Lion and Carlos Emmons a former Eagle. The secondary includes the two Wills at CB, Will Peterson and Will Allen. Both are emerging as solid corners but had a lot of injury problems last year. Overall this unit has a lot of question marks: inexperience, injury concerns, and new roles. Aside from Strahan the defense doesn't boast anything special. As long as the Vikings do what they do best and get big production from the run and pass, this matchup works in our favor.

Giants offense vs. Vikings defense: The Giants got their franchise QB in Eli Manning, but this will be a learning year for him as he plays behind a poor offensive line, although the Giants did some repair work on their line in the free agency with a new center, new guard and some new backups. It's hard to say for sure what Manning will look like by that point in the season, but he will stumble plenty of times this year as he adjusts to the NFL. Tiki Barber will be the main RB but 1999 Heisman winner Ron Dayne (remember him?) will actually be getting more carries according to Coughlin. Barber had fumble problems the last couple years but Coughlin won't long stand for that. Amani Toomer may not have flashy numbers or any pro-bowls but is as good as they come and is actually an underrated receiver. He can do a variety of things for the offense. Ike Hilliard is the go-to guy on third downs. The team's biggest receiving threat of course is TE Jeremy Shockey who is excellent across the middle of the field. He has size but can also make great catches. But he had some serious injury problems last year too. The keys here of course are first to get lots of pressure on Manning...he may be a Manning but he's still a rookie and our line needs to come at him hard and get him to screw up...or sack him. Shutting down Shockey is also important. Shockey is very physical and is most dangerous across the middle where he is too fast for most LBs and too big for most strong safeties to handle. With the speed of our LBs and the instincts of Corey Chavous we should be able to do this. The problem will be the running game. The Vikings have failed for the last couple years to stop Tiki Barber. Our defense this year is much faster and made up of harder hitters, and that is reason for optimism.

The Vikings really need to beat the Giants...bad. They do not just need a win here, they need to dominate on both sides of the ball to silence any doubts about them being a playoff caliber team. The Giants are in the rebuilding phase; the Vikings are not, and we need the results of the game to show that. If the Vikings win in overtime or by a thin margin, I won't be happy as strange as that sounds. If they lose, well that's just unacceptable this year.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

vikingsalltheway is offline Coordinator

Im starting to dislike the Gmen cause of the last two years. If we lose this year to them i will be pissed. Thats a game i want to win bad cause we need revenge.
    982be7163de23b12be0039fa7de5b166

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"vikingsalltheway" wrote:
    Im starting to dislike the Gmen cause of the last two years. If we lose this year to them i will be pissed. Thats a game i want to win bad cause we need revenge.

The giants in the past, have always scared me, when we play them. However, this year they are a new team, meaning they are under a new coaching staff and have a new QB. Their offense, in the past, seemed to always rip us up, but hopefully this year will be different.

sdvikefan said "The Vikings really need to beat the Giants...bad. They do not just need a win here, they need to dominate on both sides of the ball to silence any doubts about them being a playoff caliber team. The Giants are in the rebuilding phase; the Vikings are not, and we need the results of the game to show that. If the Vikings win in overtime or by a thin margin, I won't be happy as strange as that sounds. If they lose, well that's just unacceptable this year."

I agree we need to trash them on the field so bad they will wish they were back at high school ball and the only thing they can turn to is mom and dad for support...that is a good bench mark of our ablities to take the year all the way,

Not only that I HATE Gmen just the word makes my skin crawl they are the worse than any real football team smack nic name... they are the worst organization I can think of it is a big sh*t misfits do nothings.... they alway got there fingures up their back side or someone else backside sucken on their thumbs wondering if they should....AHW never mind this is football.

lets call the Gaints "the lil people" or "fairies" or "pole crawlers" something other than Gmen that is already taken by some real BUTTmen and no football team should be cursed like that...
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

wyviking is offline Rookie

yea playing the giants is like the twins playing the yankees, its never a forsure win. but the vikings should do alright this year since we play them at home and we have a better defence to help.
    yea im sick of seeing the giants playing us every year why dont they let us play the crappy jets ever,but that would suck to thou, ny fans and players always seem to come off as real cocky people.
    theres no MOSS in wyoming just sagebrush

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

What is everybody so worried about?? The giants beat us last year after seeing what teams could do to our defense. Broncos exposed it a litle but not enough to win the game. Giants exposed it from the beginning and finished us off. 2002 we werent that good and out d was worse then it was last year. 2001 we kicked butt.
    2000, dont even want to bring up because i know its going to end in a controversial act.

Doesnt anyone remember 1997 where we came back from i believe a 9 point defecit with about 2 mins or something in the game and beat them at there place in the playoffs thus giving the stadium the meadowlands miracle or something?

This year i say bring it on, no kerry collins to tourch, no jim fassel to outsmart us coaching wise. We have a really good shot at beating them this time around with a better d and better d-coordinator unlike oleary and willie shaw.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

It's no worry, the Vikings will get their revenge with a defense that will make it's mark in a 28-3 slaughter of the Giants, maybe even 28-0...

SKOL!!!

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

I dont think our d will hold them to that little amount of points. Remember we still have a lot of inexperiece at lb that could be our achilles heel of the defense.

But hey at least it aint our secondary getting roasted like it usually does if it lives up to expectation. Vikes win this game 27-14. If warner starts it could be even worse. :shock:
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a