Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings vs. Broncos pre-game articles - AD could get free rein

[size=13pt]Paulescu wins punt-off to be Broncos punter against Vikings[/size]

The Associated Press
    iht.com

Published: December 29, 2007

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.: Sam Paulescu will be the Broncos' third punter in as many weeks Sunday against the Vikings after winning a punt-off in frigid conditions Friday...

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Vikings at Broncos - What to watch for[/size]

By hoosierteacher
    milehighreport.com

Posted on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 02:01:21 PM EDT

Last game prep of the year gang!
    I'm sorry it IS the last game of the season, and I'm sorry it's the second losing season in the Shanahan era.....

This is a great read by a well-spoken Bronco fan. He obviously did his homework as the analysis is very well done. I like our chances more in this game all the time.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"The" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Vikings at Broncos - What to watch for[/size]

By hoosierteacher
    milehighreport.com

Posted on Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 02:01:21 PM EDT

Last game prep of the year gang!
    I'm sorry it IS the last game of the season, and I'm sorry it's the second losing season in the Shanahan era.....

This is a great read by a well-spoken Bronco fan. He obviously did his homework as the analysis is very well done. I like our chances more in this game all the time.
    Drop, I also found it a very interesting read.

I found alot of good nuggets in there that alude to the fact that we run a hybrid of sorts in all facets of our offense and defense and I gotta agree with him.

For instance......

They haven't completed the conversion to ideal linemen to run the system.
    But the linemen they have are either built for the system or compensated for by pulling the bigger linemen into individual block assignments.
    Most off the linemen will slant and block their zones, while the "oversized" guys will pull and run interference directly for the back (as a FB would).
    This shows a level of sophistication that most sophomore zoneblock teams don't exhibit, in my opinion.
    Mr. A and I had a good thread going on this very subject.
    He contended that our OL were to big to run the ZB scheme and I contended that size wasn't the key factor but thier speed and athleticism.
    I took that one step further and used some of our 3 cone and short shuttle times to show that our guys were indeed faster than the smaller Denver blockers.

To tell the truth I haven't really dug into our DL play that much but I can now see that I have to do some research.
    Very interesting stuff to say the least.

I have read descriptions of MINN being a Tampa-2 system team, but I think they are an odd variation of the cover-2 and not a true Tampa defense.
    This was my first surprise studying for this prep.

First, they have strong, powerful DTs that do a great job stopping the run.
    They are willing to penetrate to go after the QB, but from what I see they really shut down the run and protect their LBs.
    At the same time, the LBs are speedy guys that zone the passes effectively.
    The MLB in this system lines up in a classic cover-2, instead of the deeper Tampa-2.
    In other words, they are a combination of the classic cover-2 and the Tampa-2.
    Long story short, I really like this guys stuff.
    I might have to stop in and visit again for his FOOTBALL 101 stuff.
    You all know how much I like ready stuff like that.
    Not a paid advertisement for this guy but judging from his stuff I think it might be worth our efforts.
    ;D

Next week, I'll be replacing this column with a series called FOOTBALL 101.
    I'll cover systems, formations, play calling and design, as well as tactics.
    I'll also have a running "Ask the Coach" section that will be part of the same column.
    I hope you have all enjoyed the game preps this year, and I look forward to doing it again in the '08 season.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"Marrdro" wrote:

I found alot of good nuggets in there that alude to the fact that we run a hybrid of sorts in all facets of our offense and defense and I gotta agree with him.

For instance......

They haven't completed the conversion to ideal linemen to run the system.
    But the linemen they have are either built for the system or compensated for by pulling the bigger linemen into individual block assignments.
    Most off the linemen will slant and block their zones, while the "oversized" guys will pull and run interference directly for the back (as a FB would).
    This shows a level of sophistication that most sophomore zoneblock teams don't exhibit, in my opinion.
    Mr. A and I had a good thread going on this very subject.
    He contended that our OL were to big to run the ZB scheme and I contended that size wasn't the key factor but thier speed and athleticism.
    I took that one step further and used some of our 3 cone and short shuttle times to show that our guys were indeed faster than the smaller Denver blockers.
    I remember that thread. It was excellent. I have to say that I've come around to the zone blocking scheme (I mean, who wouldn't after we lead the NFL in rushing) after being pretty anti last year. Of course, covering a zone in any sport is generally more difficult than just being responsible for one guy. It requires that you and your teammates are on exactly the same page.

I particularly liked this writer's comments about how far we've come along with this scheme because he is a Denver fan. After all, Denver in many ways made the ZB scheme what it is. If we can continue to insert lineman into this scheme as they come and go, we could be a hard running team for many, many years to come, which just tickles me pink. As fun as the high-flying days of the Randy ratio were, I have always been much more of a fan of (and have always advocated the Vikings being) hard-nosed football. Meaning excelling at running the football and playing tough-as-nails defense. In other words, NFC North (Central) football. And this is one of the things that I have to give the current Vikings management a ton of credit for. Now all we need is our new Frannie T.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    To tell the truth I haven't really dug into our DL play that much but I can now see that I have to do some research.
    Very interesting stuff to say the least.

I have read descriptions of MINN being a Tampa-2 system team, but I think they are an odd variation of the cover-2 and not a true Tampa defense.
    This was my first surprise studying for this prep.

First, they have strong, powerful DTs that do a great job stopping the run.
    They are willing to penetrate to go after the QB, but from what I see they really shut down the run and protect their LBs.
    At the same time, the LBs are speedy guys that zone the passes effectively.
    The MLB in this system lines up in a classic cover-2, instead of the deeper Tampa-2.
    In other words, they are a combination of the classic cover-2 and the Tampa-2.
    Quite simply, our linebackers have been a revelation in pass protection this year IMO. A complete turnaround from last year. If we could only get our ends to put a bit more pressure on QB's, we'd have a top five defense. And as Pat Williams said in an article not long back, with the way him and Kevin get double teamed, there is really no excuse for at least one of our DE's to have double-digit sacks. If we could just get one or maybe two solid pass rushers, offenses would have no answers for us. Anyways that's my 2 ¢.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

[size=14pt]Vikings' Henderson comfortable in the middle[/size]
    [size=12pt]The linebacker knows the key to stopping the Broncos is stopping their running attack.[/size]
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/12901971.html
    The Washington Redskins are going to get beat today by Dallas. There's a simple reason for this:

Twin Cities media types and the Purple Faithful have been convinced all week that the Vikings were dead for the playoffs. When convinced, we're dang near always wrong.

You must go back only to last Sunday -- when the citizens of this Frozen Wasteland were convinced that the Vikings were going to make a prime-time charge into the playoffs -- to confirm this.

So, you can count on this: There in the dark of the early evening in the Washington, D.C., suburbs, the Cowboys hold off the Redskins.

That means the Vikings could claim the sixth position in the NFC playoff field with a victory over one of the worst teams fielded by coach Mike Shanahan in his 13 seasons in Denver. These Broncos are 6-9, which has to be a cruel blow to Shanahan's enormous ego. One Shanahan trait that does exist even with these Broncos: They can run the ball.

"It's just the scheme," the Vikings' E.J. Henderson said. "No matter who's running or blocking, Denver runs the ball. I'm sure they start preaching that 'we're going to run' in minicamp and never let up..."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345