Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Vikings vs. Bills Post Game Articles

Just wanted to say...thanks singer for the articles!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings vs. Bills Post Game Articles

[size=13pt]Childress says final play could have been better[/size]

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: October 02, 2006 – 11:46 PM

Coach Brad Childress admitted Monday that he "could have done a better job" on his final play call in the Vikings' 17-12 loss to Buffalo on Sunday afternoon.
    With the Vikings at the Buffalo 25-yard line and only 14 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter, Brad Johnson threw a check-down pass that receiver Billy McMullen caught near the middle of the field. McMullen picked up 9 yards but was unable to get out of bounds as the final seconds ticked off. The Vikings had used their final two timeouts on the Bills' previous series.

Childress was asked if he thought about having Johnson take a shot in the end zone. "We could have done that," he said. "Whether or not you had 14 seconds to get that done ... I probably could have done a better job of calling a play there. Whether it'd be a shot in the end zone, whether it'd be one that was closer to the sideline to help that guy get out of bounds."

Childress, who calls the offensive plays, had good reason for questioning the decision he made with 14 seconds left. He said his feeling is that a team needs to have at least 19 seconds when it runs a play in order for the quarterback to have time to get to the line of scrimmage and stop the clock by spiking the ball. As for the reason Johnson elected to check down, Childress said there might have been an opportunity to hit a receiver on a seam route if the Bills had been in a specific coverage, but that didn't happen.

Sharper update

Safety Darren Sharper, who missed much of the second half Sunday because of a bruised left quadriceps muscle and left Ralph Wilson Stadium on crutches, was "much improved" on Monday, according to Childress. "[He] responded to some treatment overnight," Childress said. "He was back in here early this morning, and it's coming along."

Childress declined to speculate whether Sharper will be able to play in next week's game against Detroit. If the veteran can't play, rookie Greg Blue will start.

Childress also does not know whether starting strong-side linebacker Ben Leber will return after missing Sunday's game because of a sprained left knee. "Obviously we didn't feel like he had all of his faculties before the [Buffalo] game when he worked out," Childress said. "You have to be in a position where you can push off and he can protect himself. If you listen to Ben, Ben would have had himself up for that game. You know, this is a long season. I think he needs to make sure he has all of his faculties."

With Leber out, Dontarrious Thomas played the strong side for the first time in his NFL career. "It went OK," said Thomas, who was credited with four tackles Sunday. "I have some things I have to work on. ... But I didn't make any like big mistakes or anything."

Sticking with Marcus

Childress said he has no plans to replace second-year right tackle Marcus Johnson with veteran Mike Rosenthal. Johnson has had an up-and-down season that included a rough game against Buffalo. Defensive ends Chris Kelsay and Ryan Denney combined for four quarterback hurries and three pass breakups going against Johnson.

"I know this: He's trying to do everything within his power, everything, every technique that we're giving him he's trying to put into play, so I will not fault his effort," Childress said of Johnson. "At times it may be his fault [on missed assignments], at times maybe it's a back, maybe it's a tight end helping. ... I'm not going to single him out, his line play out as being something that's a downfall on our offense. We're all taking, we all have culpability in things."

Etc.

• Vikings cornerback Ronyell Whitaker said he wasn't upset that his playing time in the nickel package was cut Sunday because of a regular rotation with rookie Cedric Griffin that saw them playing every other series. "No, not at all," Whitaker said. "Ced's a good player, and we have got a lot of guys in our secondary with a lot of talent. It's just good competition, that's all it is."

Judd Zulgad • [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12