Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Re: Vikings versus Bears: a comparison through week 13

"josdin00" wrote:
    That was a good breakdown, Prophet. I'm now going to break it down in order of tie-breakers.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
    If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
    1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
    The best that can happen is that this ends in a tie. We have to beat the Bears in week 17.

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    If the head to head is tied, we only need to look at the games against Detroit and Green Bay. We swept both teams. The Bears have one game remaining against Green Bay. If they lose that game, we win this tie-breaker. Otherwise, it's still a tie.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    This would now bring in to account the games against the Saints, Bengals, Browns, Panthers, Bucs, Ravens, Steelers, and Falcons.

The Vikings are 2-4 in these games, with 2 left to play (Ravens and Steelers). The best they can do is 4-4.

The Bears are 4-2, with 2 left to play (Falcons and Steelers). The worst they could do is 4-4.

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    This now accounts for the Vikings games against the Giants and the Rams, and the Bears games against the 49ers and the Redskins.

The Vikings are 1-0, with one left to play, leaving a possibility of 2-0.

The Bears are 1-1 with none left to play.

However, (and this is where this really starts to get confusing) if the two teams make it to this tie breaker, the Bears must have lost to the Vikings, Steelers, and Falcons, and beaten the Packers, while the Vikings must have beaten the Steelers, Ravens, and Bears. Therefore, for the records to still be tied, we have to assume that the Vikings lost to the Rams, making both teams 1-1, and we move on.

5. Strength of victory.
    "A part of the NFL's tiebreaking proceedure, strength of victory is figured by calculating the combined winning percentage of the opponents a team has beaten."

The Vikings (to get this far) will have victories against the Saints, Packers (2x), Lions (2x), Giants, Browns, Steelers, Ravens, and Bears. The Bears would have victories against the Lions (2x), Vikings, Ravens, Saints, 49ers, Panthers, Buccaneers, and Packers (2x).

Using the current standings, that's a combined record of 47-73 for the Viknigs, and 45-75 for the Bears. That gives a slight edge to the Vikings, but that could change down the stretch, depending on what other teams do.

6. Strength of schedule.
    Right now, that stands at 94-98 for the Vikings, and 85-107 for the Bears. Again, a slight advantage for the Vikes, but it could change down the stretch.

7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in common games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    I'm going to stop there. Right now, Minnesota has scored 18 more points than the Bears, but given up 146 more. I don't think we'd win either of the next tie breakers.

The conclusions:
    -It's best if we just win out, and hope to avoid this mess.

-We need to root hard for the Packers to pull out a win against the Bears on Christmas. That gives us our cleanest win in the tie-breakers, if it comes to that.

-I really want to hear John Madden try to explain all that. Two words: Comedy. Gold.

-If the Bears beat the Packers, and win one of their next two games, they win.
    LOL, good tie-breaker breakdown. The 'experts' don't even try to do this so early in the season. It gets confusing in a hurry. Every week it becomes an order of magnitude easier.

Nice breakdown though.

After wasting our lives in the analysis it still comes down to winning out and the Packers winning at Lambeau and some other stuff that you mentioned. Confusing. I need a beer.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Ways we win:

We go 4-0 AND:
    The Bears go 0-4 or 1-3 OR
    The Bears go 2-2 with losses to us and the Packers.

We go 3-1 (as long as that loss is not against the Bears) AND:
    The Bears go 0-4 OR
    The Bears go 1-3 with two of those losses being to us and the packers OR

The Bears go 1-3 with losses to Us, the Steelers, and the Ravens, our loss was to the Rams, and we win the strength of victory tiebreaker based on how other teams finish their seasons.

Prophet Guest

"josdin00" wrote:
    Ways we win:

... we win the strength of victory tiebreaker based on how other teams finish their seasons.
    Aren't you going to work through those scenarios too?

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"Prophet" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    Ways we win:

... we win the strength of victory tiebreaker based on how other teams finish their seasons.
    Aren't you going to work through those scenarios too?
    HELL NO!

sweetness34 is offline Rookie

"Prophet" wrote:
    Obviously, the Vikes have some work to do and need some help from the Bears if they want to take the north. Here's a breakdown on what has transpired so far this year and is yet to come in regard to the Vikings and Bears.

[size=18px]The only games that differ in the regular season schedule between the two teams are:[/size]

Bears: Redskins (6-6) and 49ers (2-10)

The Bears lost to the Redsticks and had scraped by with a victory at home against the pathetic 49ers.

Vikings: Giants (8-4) and Rams (5-7)

The Vikings tamed the Giants in their house and will pound the Rams at home this weekend.

[size=18px]Results of games played against the same opponents[/size]

The rest of the games during the season were/will be played against the same opponents. Both teams swept the Lions and both teams beat the Saints. Nothing to write home about, but you can take those teams out of the equation.

Lions (Bears+2, Vikings +2)

The Bears beat the Lions by an average of 19 pts and the Vikings beat the Lions by an average of 9 pts. The Bears gave up an average of 9.5 pts while the Vikings gave up an average of 15 pts.

Saints (Bears +1, Vikings +1)

The Bears beat the Saints by 3 pts and gave up 17 pts. The Vikings beat the Saints by 17 pts and gave us 16 pts.

Bengals (Bears -1, Vikings -1)

Both teams lost to the AFC North leading Bengals. The Bears lost by 17 pts and gave up 24 pts. The Vikings lost by 29 pts and gave up 37 pts.

[size=18px]Advantage Vikings[/size]

Browns (Bears -1, Vikings +1)

The Vikings beat the Browns by 12 pts and gave up 12 pts. The Bears lost to the Browns by 17 pts and gave up 24 pts.

[size=18px]Advantage Bears[/size]

Panthers (Bears +1, Vikings -1)

The Bears beat the Panthers by 10 pts and gave up 3 pts. The Vikings lost to the Panthers by 25 pts and gave up 38 pts.

Bucs (Bears +1, Vikings -1)

The Bears beat the Bucs by 3 pts and gave up 10 pts. The Vikings lost to the Bucs by 11 pts and gave up 24 pts.

[size=18px]Yet to be determined[/size]

Ravens (Bears +1, Vikings ?)

The Bears already beat the Ravens and the Vikes will play their last away game against the Ravens.

Packers (Bears +1 and ?, Vikings +2)

The Vikings already swept the Packers and the Bears still need to beat the Pack at Lambeau.

Steelers (Bears ?, Vikings ?)

Both teams have the Steelers coming up in their schedule. The Bears play in the Steelers house and the Steelers come to the Vikes home.

Falcons (Bears ?, Vikings -1)

The Bears go to the Falcons house, the Vikings have lost to the Falcons.

Vikings/Bears (Bears 1 and ?, Vikings -1 and ?)

The Bears have one game on the Vikes, but play in Minny for the season Finale.

[size=24px]Remaining Games[/size]

[size=18px]BEARS (9-3)[/size]

@ Steelers (7-5)
    Falcons (7-5)
    @ Packers (2-10)
    @ Vikings (7-5)

[size=18px]VIKINGS (7-5)[/size]

Rams (5-7)
    Steelers (7-5)
    @ Ravens (4-8)
    Bears (9-3)

The Bears have 3/4 road games left on their schedule and the Vikes have 3/4 home games left on their schedule. Anything could happen. Ideally the Vikes win out, of course.

Good post but there were a few errors.
    1. The bears lost to the browns 20-10
    2. An int, punt, and a kickoff all returned for TD's would be my definition for "extremely lucky" not "tamed"
    3. Falcons are coming to a frigid Chicago

Hopefully you'll be playing a angry steeler team on a 4 game losing streak. The ravens are a bad team, but I wouldn't put that one in the win column to soon. The vikings have always been horrible in cold weather games.

Prophet Guest

"sweetness34" wrote:
    2. An int, punt, and a kickoff all returned for TD's would be my definition for "extremely lucky" not "tamed"

Hopefully you'll be playing a angry steeler team on a 4 game losing streak. The ravens are a bad team, but I wouldn't put that one in the win column to soon. The vikings have always been horrible in cold weather games.
    I'll give you point 1, but it doesn't change the result. Point 2 is all a matter of opinion, I could say the same thing regarding many of the Bears victories. Point three, the Falcons beat the Packers at Lambeau in the cold for their first playoff loss, ever, at home. The Bears are a facade compared to the Packers of past.

The Steelers will be ready to pound the Bears into the ground on their turf, there is no doubt about that. It will be a tough game at home for the Vikes, but, it is at home and that gives the Vikes an upper hand.

The comment about the Vikings have always been horrible in cold weather games is beyond ridiculous. You must not remember being owned by the Vikings when they played at the Met.

JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

The Bears and Vikings will beat the Steelers. The best game remaining on the schedule is Atlanta vs. Chicago, because no matter who wins, if we keep winning, we get help either way.

I kind of want the Bears and Vikings to make the playoffs just to shut everyone up about the weak NFC North crap.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Prophet Guest

"JDogg926" wrote:
    ...just to shut everyone up about the weak NFC North crap.
    Actually, the AFC East and the NFC West are both worse than the NFC North based on overall W/Ls.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "The Ravens have been sucking wind, the Vikes need that game badly"

I heard on ESPN last night Ray Lewis tore his hamstring and will most likely miss the rest of the season.
    I am hoping to be able to go to that game. Cajun where are my tickets?

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

sweetness34 is offline Rookie

"Prophet" wrote:
    "sweetness34" wrote:

I'll give you point 1, but it doesn't change the result. Point 2 is all a matter of opinion, I could say the same thing regarding many of the Bears victories. Point three, the Falcons beat the Packers at Lambeau in the cold for their first playoff loss, ever, at home. The Bears are a facade compared to the Packers of past.

The Steelers will be ready to pound the Bears into the ground on their turf, there is no doubt about that. It will be a tough game at home for the Vikes, but, it is at home and that gives the Vikes an upper hand.

The comment about the Vikings have always been horrible in cold weather games is beyond ridiculous. You must not remember being owned by the Vikings when they played at the Met.
    Yes the falcons beat the pack in the playoffs, but luckily were not playing that team. Were playing the 2005 falcons. Comparing the bears to the packers of the past is pointless. Its like saying the vikings are a facade caompared to the 85 bears. The steelers game is the bears toughest remaining game and we could lose if they somehow fix their offense line that can't run block or protect the QB. Are you talking about the Metradome(key word: dome)? How cold does it get in a dome? I took for granted that every viking fan would know I was talking about cold games played outside...in the cold.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast