Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings on verge of breakthrough - can you say Super Bowl!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2155354
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings on verge of breakthrough - can you say Super Bowl!!!

thanks for the link cajun. that was a good read. i've been very impressed with Wylf so far. looks like we don't have a cheap skate for an owner anymore. hopefully we can finally bring a ring to Minnesota.
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Josdin

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Can you copy and paste the article, I can't go on ESPN.com stuff at school the site is blocked

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

Updated: Sep. 8, 2005, 3:33 AM ET
    NFL 2005: Vikings finally on verge of a breakthrough?Associated Press
    National Football League News Wire

MINNEAPOLIS -- Mike Tice and the Minnesota Vikings are in overtime, beginning the fourth year of a purported three-year rebuilding plan that was supposed to put them on a championship track.

Perhaps this time, another late-season failure will lead to Tice's dismissal and a start-over on the sideline. Or maybe this is when the fun really starts.

"Win the NFC North and win the Super Bowl," tight end Jermaine Wiggins said. "That's what we have to prove, and obviously we haven't been able to do that."

The Vikings suggested they were on their way in each of the last two years, starting 6-0 and 5-1 before wilting when it counted and losing seven of their final 10 regular-season games.

Last year, they wiggled their way into the playoffs with an 8-8 record and salvaged some pride with a road win over the rival Green Bay Packers in the first round.

But the club has come under new ownership, and New Jersey real estate developer Zygi Wilf chose not to extend Tice's contract -- as well as for most of the front office -- that expires after the season.

Wilf wanted to see what happens during his first year. That puts the pressure on Tice and the staff to get the team to play up to expectations created by a bevy of additions to a usually leaky defense.

Right now, there's a calm confidence coming from the head coach, but Minnesota is also undefeated.

"It doesn't matter if you're sitting on a four-year deal or you don't have work for next year," said tight ends coach John Tice, Mike's brother. "You're going to come to work every day and do your best."

there is part....

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

Yet another chaotic offseason for this franchise was highlighted by the end of receiver Randy Moss' tenure, seven years marked by amazing long touchdown catches, game-changing skills, trouble off the field and occasional locker-room turbulence.

Moss was traded to the Oakland Raiders, who swapped linebacker Napoleon Harris and the seventh overall draft pick used by the Vikings to select South Carolina receiver Troy Williamson.

That was the first sign of seriousness about upgrading the defense, which has ranked among the league's worst for some time. Nose tackle Pat Williams, cornerback Fred Smoot and free safety Darren Sharper were all signed, and middle linebacker Sam Cowart came in a trade with the New York Jets.

Defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell enters his second season, and the team believes his system will be better grasped.

"Knowledge is confidence, and knowledge gives players a chance to play fast," Tice said. "I think we'll play faster. ... That has hurt us. It's something that hasn't given us the opportunity to succeed.

"The guys really like to work. We've got to be consistent if we're going to take the next step. That's what I'm looking for, from all of us."

Indeed, consistency has become an organizational buzzword since Wilf and his family took over as the majority investors. Quarterback Daunte Culpepper has proven he can do that, but he'll need better production from a running game that lagged last year behind a banged-up offensive line.

Michael Bennett is the featured back, for now, with an eager Mewelde Moore right behind him.

"I feel I owe my teammates a lot," said Bennett, who rushed for 1,296 yards in 2002, the last time he played a full season. "By being out there those last two years, I've missed a lot. And I feel I can help this team."

Tight end Jim Kleinsasser and right tackle Mike Rosenthal are back from season-ending injuries, but Pro Bowl center Matt Birk is on injured reserve with a fifth surgery on his midsection scheduled for next week. rookie Marcus Johnson is starting at right guard.

Though Moss can't be replaced, the group he left behind is deep and accomplished. Nate Burleson, who had 1,000 yards and nine touchdowns last season, becomes the top target.

Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson, Koren Robinson and the rookie Williamson round out the bunch, with Wiggins, Kleinsasser and several sure-handed backs ready for Culpepper -- who led the NFL last year with a 69.2 percent completion percentage -- to spread his passes all over the field.

"I just feel like I'm a big piece of the puzzle," Burleson said. "We're just going to have to go out there and continue to do the things we've been doing."

As a whole, however, the Vikings can't keep doing what they've been doing. A weak conference and diluted division should give them a great chance to go deep in the playoffs. But there are still plenty of areas in which they must prove themselves before they can be anointed a Super Bowl favorite.

"I don't have any rings on my finger, except my wedding band -- and that doesn't count as far as a championship goes," Culpepper said. "I want to be a champion in this league and be the best I can be."

Adjust Font Size:

This story is from ESPN.com's automated news wire. Wire index

And there is the rest...I did in two parts for copyright issues. I hope it's still ok.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Good read. ESPN must love the Vikes!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

That was a good read, thanks for posting it guys! 2 days baby, 2 days!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

I'm so sick of speculation, I'm ready for some Football!!!!!

Not much love for a Vikings Super Bowl here...I can't wait to prove them wrong!

Read:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nflpredictions2005&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

Prophet Guest

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    I'm so sick of speculation, I'm ready for some Football!!!!!
    No doubt. The season is finally upon us, now we can begin our armchair coaching after the fact. Can't wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast