Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings Vanilla Offense Won’t Do with These Flavors to Serve

[size=13pt]Vikings Vanilla Offense Won’t Do with These Flavors to Serve[/size]

Just a few years ago, the Minnesota Vikings were a team with very few playmakers....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings Vanilla Offense Won’t Do with These Flavors to Serve

Thanks for the read my friend.
    Seems like the author is another cat longing for the days of "3 Deep". :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks for the read My Sexy Little Pixie.
    While I enjoyed the three deep era, it is much more satisfying for me to watch us control the line of scrimmage, and beat down the opposing team. All we need this year is to make a few more plays on third and long. We are a power football team, and now we have sprinkle's some serious playmakers to help outside. We will continue to run, run, run, as that will open up play-action, end-arounds to Harvin, and some deep balls down field to Berrian. Write it down, no matter who QB's us this season, we will have more explosive plays, and score more touchdowns. We have more Flavors than vanilla, and when we need them we will dish them out.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"PurpleTide" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    While I enjoyed the three deep era, it is much more satisfying for me to watch us control the line of scrimmage, and beat down the opposing team. All we need this year is to make a few more plays on third and long. We are a power football team, and now we have sprinkle's some serious playmakers to help outside. We will continue to run, run, run, as that will open up play-action, end-arounds to Harvin, and some deep balls down field to Berrian. Write it down, no matter who QB's us this season, we will have more explosive plays, and score more touchdowns. We have more Flavors than vanilla, and when we need them we will dish them out.
    I enjoy seeing us control the line of scrimmage but would be nice to see us be able to move the ball through the air when needed. Agreed though that the running game does open up more possibilities - just hope our coaching staff can see them as much as the fans do !
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

I would like it if we could nickname the offense "Pick Your Poison".

Load the box and we throw it to Harven, BB, Rice, Shancoe.
    Pull the safeties deep and we run it down your throat with AP and Taylor.

Lets just hope.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.- John Adams

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

I loved watching the offense we had when the three deep was around(mainly Moss).
    But what i hated was watching our defense struggle with horrible teams.
    I would much rather have a decent offense with a great defense than a great offense with no defense like we had in them days.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"PackSux!" wrote:
    I loved watching the offense we had when the three deep was around(mainly Moss).

I would much rather have a decent offense with a great defense than a great offense with no defense like we had in them days.
    It's been our Achilles heel for decades. Back in the 80's and early 90's we had a great defense and no offense. Denny Green came in and inherited one of the best defenses ever and dismantled it to build his offense and now we went back the other way.

I have been a fan of defense over offense for a long time and I understand the merit of ball control in that it keeps the defense off the field and rested, something the Denny Green era didn't do, but I also know a dominant defense with a strong offense that at least has the potential to score points when needed is very desirable.

Now that I got that out of the way, the real problem I see with our offense is that IMO we have a lack of aggression in our play calling once we get to the 40 yard line or so. IMHO the biggest thing that has limited our scoring is that we get to the 35 and then go conservative for some reason. If the guy calling the shots would make it a point to take a shot at the end zone every time we crossed the 40 we would get defenses that played much looser and it would open up more routes, create more scores and take a great deal of pressure off of the running game. I am not sure what the cause is for this but it is really holding the scoring potential down.

"PurpleTide" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    With AD & CT as our RB's, we should never be in a 3rd & long situation, except when penalties are involved.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "PackSux!" wrote:

It's been our Achilles heel for decades. Back in the 80's and early 90's we had a great defense and no offense. Denny Green came in and inherited one of the best defenses ever and dismantled it to build his offense and now we went back the other way.

I have been a fan of defense over offense for a long time and I understand the merit of ball control in that it keeps the defense off the field and rested, something the Denny Green era didn't do, but I also know a dominant defense with a strong offense that at least has the potential to score points when needed is very desirable.

Now that I got that out of the way, the real problem I see with our offense is that IMO we have a lack of aggression in our play calling once we get to the 40 yard line or so. IMHO the biggest thing that has limited our scoring is that we get to the 35 and then go conservative for some reason. If the guy calling the shots would make it a point to take a shot at the end zone every time we crossed the 40 we would get defenses that played much looser and it would open up more routes, create more scores and take a great deal of pressure off of the running game. I am not sure what the cause is for this but it is really holding the scoring potential down.
    Or he'll let the clock wind down & go into the locker room, happy with a minimal lead.

He's been HC for 3 years now & I swear Childress doesn't know what a 2 minute offense is & certainly doesn't know how to run one.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "PackSux!" wrote:

Or he'll let the clock wind down & go into the locker room, happy with a minimal lead.

He's been HC for 3 years now & I swear Childress doesn't know what a 2 minute offense is & certainly doesn't know how to run one.
    It's not just the 2 minute offense(Which I agree is abysmal) it is the whole offensive game plan when the team is in field goal range. It seems like they get down there and are so afraid of turnovers( Probably to keep you happy :P {JK} ) that they are content with handing the ball off and letting Longwell try to get the 3 points if they can't get it in conservatively.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast