singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings unlikely to make playoffs

The Minnesota Vikings are unlikely to return to the playoffs

Y! SPORTS

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Vikings unlikely to make playoffs

They thought that last year. I think we improved more in the off season than GB or Chicago and I am not convinced Detroit has things fixed.

Barring some unforeseen injuries I believe we beat the Packers and win the division.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    It's gonna be tough. If we lose the game in London and miss the playoffs by one game, I'm gonna be bitter.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    At this point everything is a guess. I think we make the playoffs if we stay healthy. I think we have enough talent.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    They thought that last year. I think we improved more in the off season than GB or Chicago and I am not convinced Detroit has things fixed.

Barring some unforeseen injuries I believe we beat the Packers and win the division.
    I don't like how quickly people are writing off the bears. They've improved almost every struggling aspect of their game. They are a much better team, but it will hinge on how their coach makes the transition from the CFL to NFL. They could be awful, but could be very good. We've got a tough division, and it's entirely possible we miss the playoffs going 10-6. I would not be surprised at all to see three NFCN teams in the playoffs. Even the Lions can go over .500 if they can balance out their offense.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I don't like how quickly people are writing off the bears. They've improved almost every struggling aspect of their game. They are a much better team, but it will hinge on how their coach makes the transition from the CFL to NFL. They could be awful, but could be very good. We've got a tough division, and it's entirely possible we miss the playoffs going 10-6. I would not be surprised at all to see three NFCN teams in the playoffs. Even the Lions can go over .500 if they can balance out their offense.
    I think many dismiss the Bears for exactly the same reason they dismiss the Vikings, the QB(there numbers are almost identical). The reason I'm more optimistic about the Vikings is they have a younger core of players they drafted. The Bears on the other hand gave up 2 1st and a 3rd for Cutler, and 2 3rd rounders for Marshall.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I am not dismissing the bears at all, I just feel we have improved more than they have and we were better than them last year.

They have a new coaching staff, they lost a legend at MLB and we have done more things IMHO to make our team better plus our staff has been together longer.

I know, you just think I am a company Yes man and all but hey, I call them as I see them.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    I think many dismiss the Bears for exactly the same reason they dismiss the Vikings, the QB(there numbers are almost identical). The reason I'm more optimistic about the Vikings is they have a younger core of players they drafted. The Bears on the other hand gave up 2 1st and a 3rd for Cutler, and 2 3rd rounders for Marshall.
    They also gave a 2nd rounder for Gaines Adams who passed away and a couple of poor early round picks for lineman like Chris Williams and Gabe Carimi. The line has been one of the uses Cutler has had to deal with along with OC changes also when Cutler misses games they are 2-6. They also have guys looking for extensions like Tillman and Cutler and that money might come from release Peppers next year due to cap limitations, they are a team in flux.

mountainviking is online now Team Alumni
    Good read, thanks! Tho, of course, I think we'll do better than 20th!!

I agree with IBP, the Bears could easily go either way. Sure, a team in transition, like we were last year when we went 10-6. And, if they keep some continuity on the defensive side, a strength when they're healthy, and the new regime fixes the Offense, like Harbaugh did in SF, they could be really tough to beat in a flippen hurry!

DET did add some pieces that might make a difference, most notably Reggie Bush, and the Pack will be good unless Raaaaahhdgerrrzzzz gets hurt. Black-N-Blue is back baby!!!

But, I still think our, old-school, smash-mouth game just might be enough to balance out those 3 high-flying aerial acts and push us to the top. Assuming WE stay mostly healthy!! Afterall, Peterson is a beast, I think Special Teams is going to continue improving, and if we can keep the other offense on the sidelines more often than not, it'll be much harder for them to score points on us!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    They also gave a 2nd rounder for Gaines Adams who passed away and a couple of poor early round picks for lineman like Chris Williams and Gabe Carimi. The line has been one of the uses Cutler has had to deal with along with OC changes also when Cutler misses games they are 2-6. They also have guys looking for extensions like Tillman and Cutler and that money might come from release Peppers next year due to cap limitations, they are a team in flux.
    Very good post, sheds a different light on the Bears. Nicely done.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know