singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings: Turn this thing around

[size=18px]Vikings: Turn this thing around[/size]

Just as the season seemed to be slipping away - losses mounting, a quarterback hobbling and off-field issues roiling - the Vikings managed to win two games in a row. Now the players are feeling that there's still time to ...

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: November 14, 2005 at 10:05 PM

No matter who does throwing, Steelers remain contenders

The one that got away goes back
    As they boarded their charter two weeks ago in Charlotte, N.C., the Vikings seemed a defeated bunch. They had just absorbed their fourth road pounding of the season, lost their starting quarterback indefinitely and were the off-field pariahs of the NFL.

And then, according to Winter Park's resident optimists, something happened.

"There was a definite, 'There's-nowhere-to-go-but-up sensibility' going around the locker room," offensive lineman Adam Goldberg said. "We just decided to roll with it. ... We were losing, there were off-field issues and there were on-field issues. So we just decided to get back to basics and just remember that we all love playing football."

Coincidence or otherwise, the Vikings have won both games since their 38-13 loss Oct. 30 at Carolina. While a cynic might suggest that Detroit (three turnovers) and the N.Y. Giants (five turnovers) provided critical ingredients for those outcomes, the Vikings consider the run a potential turning point in their season and proof that better times lie ahead.

"When some thought that the team would quit and just give up on the season, [we] still had a belief that we could accomplish our goals," coach Mike Tice said Monday. "Whatever it is, the team kept battling and working hard to get better. ... To lose your quarterback and then bounce back and win two in a row is a tribute to the character of the guys on the team. It hasn't been easy, but everyone still believes in the goals."

Those aims are to win the NFC North and then Super Bowl XL, a pair of laughable thoughts two weeks ago that remain far on the horizon even now. Yet with two games separating them from the division-leading Chicago Bears, the Vikings are allowing themselves to consider the possibilities as they prepare for their Monday night matchup against Green Bay at Lambeau Field.

After that game, the Vikings will finish with four of their final six games at the Metrodome, where they are 3-1 this season. The Vikings are scheduled to play only two teams -- Pittsburgh and Chicago, both at home -- that have winning records.

"That's a pretty good schedule for us," Tice said. "I like how things are coming together. But we've got a long way to go."

Starting, of course, with a sputtering offense that produced only 137 total yards Sunday against the Giants. Coaches will spend part of this week tweaking their schemes along the offensive line, but on Monday players derived a warped sense of pride from the offense's performance against the Giants.

The Vikings scored their touchdowns on interception, kickoff and punt returns, and receiver Nate Burleson said: "Imagine what would have happened yesterday if the offense would have gotten started.

"That's the most exciting part about it," Burleson added. "We have the ability to blow teams out. We just have to piece things together."

Which would take them in the opposite direction of their stretch runs during the past two seasons, 3-7 collapses that ruined starts of 6-0 and 5-1, respectively. Tice has said since training camp that he believed the team's depth was better equipped to withstand the rigors of the season, and he often has suggested that the Vikings' new starters would need time to grow comfortable in their roles.

Against the Giants, new receiver Koren Robinson returned a kickoff 86 yards for a touchdown and also caught a 44-yard pass. Free safety Darren Sharper intercepted three passes, returning one 92 yards for a touchdown, while nose tackle Pat Williams continued his All-Pro play with six tackles and a half-sack. Rookie defensive end Erasmus James, meanwhile, was credited with six quarterback hurries and two pass knockdowns.

And on special teams, the Vikings have had several young players -- including rookie Heath Farwell and second-year player Richard Owens -- emerge as strong cover men and blockers.

"The depth of our football team is starting to show," Tice said. "I think when other teams sustain injuries as we progress down the road here, we'll see what type of depth they have. I feel very good about the type of depth we have and it's starting to show up."

While his confidence was evident Monday, Tice added: "Now is not the time to get excited. We're still 4-5. We're under .500. We'll get excited when we move into first place. Then we'll get excited a little bit. But that's going to take some time and some doing."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

whiteboy is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Vikings: Turn this thing around

great article, we can definitely do it. we just need to keep stepping our game up. people are gonna be sleeping on us, in january, they will be on the bandwagon.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

It about time people start understanding we HAVE the tools to turn this thing around. I have never once doubted that Vikings will not win the division. We are fine and KRobinson was a steal this season.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

ah so some of the media might be thinking that we are decent again :roll:

Thanks Josdin

C-PepNSalt is offline Pro-Bowler

I think the offense will be rolling a lot more, the packers D is going to get spanked pretty good!
    "Johnson, we will keep on beating them until morale improves."

morepepper is offline Rookie

Im as big a viking fan as u all are buts lets be logical. We had less then 200 yards of offence and allowed over 450. Our run game amounted 12 yards. We were extremely lucking to even be in this game non the less win it. That is not to say that we cannot get going a make a push but i would not take this game as nothing more then a fluke win over a team that repeatly shot themselves in the foot.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"morepepper" wrote:
    Im as big a viking fan as u all are buts lets be logical. We had less then 200 yards of offence and allowed over 450. Our run game amounted 12 yards. We were extremely lucking to even be in this game non the less win it. That is not to say that we cannot get going a make a push but i would not take this game as nothing more then a fluke win over a team that repeatly shot themselves in the foot.
    It was not a fluke game. The Vikings are not built to score like they use too. The 'D' is what needs to Win or Keep us alive long enough to setup the game winner FG.

Once again the Giants GAVE US NOTHING. We TOOk this game from them.

I'm not trying to be rude to a fellow fan but you did see we set a record with how we scored????????? Do you think that just happened 3 times NO. Eli is a decent QB overrated but decent, and Minnesota has a 'D' that played for what we paid for last Sunday. Do NOT belittle your team by thinking they got lucky to win. NO we made the big plays when we need too.

You watch Monday night when BJ and TW or KRob hook up deep. Then come back and lets talk about the 'O' it will be there when we need it.
    (I know but it's just GB look at their record blah blah blah)
    The Vikings are coming along slow and steady. We will still win the division.

BTW KRobinson was the steal of the offseason we stole that guy. It should be illegal what we did.

"MEN WE STAY THE COURSE"

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

"Vikes" wrote:
    "morepepper" wrote:
    It was not a fluke game. The Vikings are not built to score like they use too. The 'D' is what needs to Win or Keep us alive long enough to setup the game winner FG.

Once again the Giants GAVE US NOTHING. We TOOk this game from them.

I'm not trying to be rude to a fellow fan but you did see we set a record with how we scored????????? Do you think that just happened 3 times NO. Eli is a decent QB overrated but decent, and Minnesota has a 'D' that played for what we paid for last Sunday. Do NOT belittle your team by thinking they got lucky to win. NO we made the big plays when we need too.

You watch Monday night when BJ and TW or KRob hook up deep. Then come back and lets talk about the 'O' it will be there when we need it.
    (I know but it's just GB look at their record blah blah blah)
    The Vikings are coming along slow and steady. We will still win the division.

BTW KRobinson was the steal of the offseason we stole that guy. It should be illegal what we did.

"MEN WE STAY THE COURSE"
    i agree with you vikes, i'm glad to be eating crow on Robinson i thought it was a stupid signing during the offseason. he's made our return game a real positive for us when it hasn't been in a long time. once he starts making plays on the offensive side of the ball, which shouldn't be too long from now, it'll be awesome to see. glad to see hiim turn his life around

Thanks Josdin