Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings turn to Tarvaris, seek life on offense

I actually agree with StillPurple on this one (Not about the Holcomb thing, about the season).
    Although, how it could be LESS exciting than the travesty we were treated to last season is beyond me....

Caine

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"StillPurple" wrote:
    BTW, from now on, I am not "anti-Tarvaris".

I am "pro-Holcomb".
    ;D

I envision a wonderful season in which we can win 10 games, if we install Holcomb as QB and play a "ball control" offense.

Anyone who questions my logic will be classified as a "pessimist".
    I have nothing against Holcomb.
    But if our season gets to the point where he is the starter you know the season is already in the shitter.
    In that case, you might as well let TJack keep playing to see if he can rebound.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"StillPurple" wrote:

I am "pro-Holcomb".
    ;D

I envision a wonderful season in which we can win 10 games, if we install Holcomb as QB and play a "ball control" offense.

LOL.
    OK, that was funny. ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Wow, can't disagree more. Look at the game last night. The first play of the game, way back in our own territory, was a slow, inaccurate throw into the flat that was almost picked off the other way for 6. What did this show us ?:

- Terrible play calling
    - A QB whose passes are thrown late, and also not that accurate.

I hope you guys don't wait too long for this to "come around". I see this being a train wreck. The play calling last night was just bad. Tarvaris is not an accurate QB. And you need accuracy in the NFL. All I saw were badly thrown balls.

You guys have it backwards (sorry). It is not the the running game will "help out" the passing game. The bad passing game will doom the running game, as defenses stack the box and stuff our very, very predictable "off tackle left" running plays.

This could get ugly.
    Again, quit hedging here.
    Be up front.
    Tell us what you think about our young QB.
    Pretty soon we will get the message.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Wow, can't disagree more. Look at the game last night. The first play of the game, way back in our own territory, was a slow, inaccurate throw into the flat that was almost picked off the other way for 6. What did this show us ?:

- Terrible play calling
    - A QB whose passes are thrown late, and also not that accurate.

I hope you guys don't wait too long for this to "come around". I see this being a train wreck. The play calling last night was just bad. Tarvaris is not an accurate QB. And you need accuracy in the NFL. All I saw were badly thrown balls.

You guys have it backwards (sorry). It is not the the running game will "help out" the passing game. The bad passing game will doom the running game, as defenses stack the box and stuff our very, very predictable "off tackle left" running plays.

This could get ugly.
    Holy crap you sound like a broken record.
    I clicked in three threads in the Vikings Forum, and you have post the exact same thing in EVERY one.

OK, I'll humor you, since you want to talk about TJ's performance last night so badly.

TJack threw five times last night.
    Of those five throws, one was caught for 13 yards, one was under thrown and should have been picked off, two were off target, and the one to the flats was telegraphed the entire time, and the only reason it wasn't a pick 6 was because it was actually a well thrown ball (just a bad decision).

And yes, the play calling last night was bad.
    It was almost like they weren't calling plays to win, but rather to evaluate players at different positions.
    Wait, a minute... do you think I am on to something there?
    When you have positions up for grabs, it helps when you call plays that actually involve that position. BTW, despite your assertion of our predictable "off tackle left" play calling, we actually didn't run left the most.
    We ran up the middle 15 times, left 8 and right 8.
    Also, if you expected anything other than vanilla play calling in preseason, you are a fool.
    It is preseason.

On the other side of the coin, I am not deluded enough to believe that our offense can be termed "exciting" this season by any means.
    (Sorry Marrdro, I take the purple glasses off when the regualr season gets here.
    As I always say, the offseason is the time for optimism. )
    But while I don't expect them to be exciting, I do expect them to be average.
    And that is all it is going to take for us to win games this year.

If we had scored just one more TD per game last year, we would have been solidly in the playoffs.
    Our defense looks to be just as good, if not better.
    Our special teams has taken a step back, but I expect to see a lot more of our starters on coverage teams during the season.
    That just leaves us to the offense.
    Our O this year isn't the Colts, to be sure.
    But is it at least one TD per game better than last year?
    I tend to think so.
    TJack, even as raw as he is, is an upgrade over BJ.
    Our WR corp isn't the best in the league, but they are also easily an upgrade over last year.
    Running back, our shining point last year? Also upgraded with the addition of this year's favorite for ROY.

The only areas that I cannot say have improved for certain are the OL and the TE.
    Considering Wiggy did nothing for us last year, Shank doesn't have to do much to be an improvement.
    The OL is virtually the same, and in theory have gelled and gotten better at running the scheme as a unit, but I will believe it when I see it.

So that means we have upgraded QB, WR, and RB, and kept TE and OL the same.
    Obviously this year's offense is an upgrade over last years.
    Hopefully they will be upgraded enough to keep us competitive.
    I should have kept reading.
    Should have known you would try to educate him.
    I gave up, making my fingers soar.

I am just gonna keep posting what I posted in the last two threads.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"StillPurple" wrote:

I am "pro-Holcomb".
    ;D

Hmm, some more logic.
    Lets get an 11 year vet in and let him play QB this year just so we can satisfy the "instant gratification" crowd.

Lets not let our young QB who has potential get the only thing he really needs to be "Proven" and that is game time experience.

Lets just keep trying to win games under the "Redskins Concept" of get a bunch of old has beens in by giving away all our draft picks every year.
    Lets never develop the young potential we have on our team, what else....... :

Never mind, just mark me down/classify me as a pessimist as I refuse to acknowledge that I know as little about football and the vision/future of this team as you.
    ;D

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'm pro- thigpen
    ;D

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I'm pro- thigpen
    ;D
    He was cut today. Hopefully he makes the practice squad.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I know, but I am still hopeful.

davike is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I'm pro- thigpen
    ;D
    He was cut today. Hopefully he makes the practice squad.
    He probably will since he is a drafted rookie....if we didn't then that would pretty much be wasting a draft pick.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12