Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Vikings turn down Birk .....

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "howln4u" wrote:
    I would love to have Birk around but this is the third year in a row with injuries. He wasnt even sure he would make it back from his 3 sports hernia surgery.

I will get bashed for this but cut him know. Eat the salary and go out and get someone who is healthy. Put Withrow in at center all year starting know so that everyone on offense gets used to him.

Go out and sign Verba to back up at tackle and guard since he is probably looking for a team he can win with and will take a small one year deal to prove himself, plus that mean streak would be good for our offensive line.

Cutting him makes no sense. He is getting paid for this season either way, so why not let him have the surgery and see how he recovers from it, before we cut a 4 time pro bowl center? That really doesn't make any sense, when we are paying him anyways.

Exactly, don't cut him...just put him on Injured Reserve...then you can see how the line does....if the line chokes the first couple games...sign a Free Agent like Verba to a 1 year deal....that way by next year Verba is gone and Birk's back in it!

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

if he does have surgery, the only question now is whether or not the vikings put him on IR or keep him on the active roster for later in the season... im hoping for the latter of the two

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

Who says Birk is done for the year the article I read said he is gone for 3 months he could be back for the end of the year and he is important enough to wait it out and I would rather just stick with Goldberg and Dorsey then waste money on that hack Verba.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Vrehna is offline Rookie

The whole problem is that Birk has always come back from injury too early. If he has surgery now, we should bench him for the entire year...

The guy has gone through a lot of pain for this team, he deserves getting 100% healthy this time.

apparently 3 months is all it takes to get to 100% after this surgery, a player of his talent and importance to this team definitely is worth taking a roster spot until week 10 or 11. Even if he played in only a few games in the season, it would definitely be worth having him around for the playoffs. There is a HUGE difference in the play of the line when he is in vs. when he is not.

But i also agree, if he is not going to be truly 100% at all this season then put him on IR and let him help out with his mind from the sidelines.

Hooversham is offline Starter

Looks like we won't have Birk this year..............

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2143042

*snip*

"At the very earliest, Birk would be ready to return by mid-November. But that would mean the Vikings would have to carry him on their active roster until that point. If he is placed on injured reserve, Birk would miss the entire season."

That hurts boys. But I'm still glad they didn't guarantee him money. He's been injured for 2 years.
    I can bench press my own body weight. And I weight 2,000 pounds.

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

Re: Looks like we won't have Birk this year..............

It also looks like Withrow and no FA pick up. I hope Tice pulls it off.

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

This is unfortunate news.

Why is everyone so down on withrow? I admit I haven't wtached him play closely (I rarely get to watch Vikings games where I live), but by some people's accounts, they paint withrow as being worthy of warming the bench on a JV highschool team. What makes people so certain that Withrow will be a flop?

Hooversham is offline Starter

I actually thought Withrow did alright when he was in there last year. I think they're mainly saying that although he's good enough to play a position in the NFL..........he's no Matt Birk.

In the article Withrow says that the only difference between him and Birk is that Birk is good and he's not. Gotta like the honesty.
    I can bench press my own body weight. And I weight 2,000 pounds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast