Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings turn the corner!

ADRIAN has turned the corner..we still NEED to have a QB that will stop the defenses from stacking the box. I guess I'll use this analogy concerning AP & our Qb.....~Its like the having the boat WFO, and having the anchor still out~ we need a friggen QB going into next season.

PurplePowerPunch is offline Pro-Bowler

QB will be our #1 focus in the off-season. No more projects, no more 38 year old washed up QBs that can't throw 40 yards down the field. We need a leader behind center.

ALL DAY!!!

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"bigbadragz" wrote:
    before i start believing we've progressed i wanna see a game where peterson doesn't win it for us.
    to me all we've seen is peterson is ridiculous.
    we've seen flashes from sidney rice and shiancoe, and the defense has been solid for the most part.
    but until i see us string a couple wins together, and one or two being when the other team takes peterson away, then i'll believe.
    but right now all we've done is win the games that peterson has over 200 yards in some capacity.
    if you can't win those games, then you are really in trouble.
    Peterson will alwayds be the centerpiece. Always.

However, I do understand what you are saying, we need pieces on our to step up when the D keys on Peterson. As of right now, those missing pieces are too young to evaluate correctly. IMO we need a QB and Receiver, that is all. That means letting Cook develop. It also means that Wade is not cutting it. The QB situation is obvious.

I think the OL is on the brink of being stellar, and that we need to keep them together for a couple more years. People look back on players like Christy and Steussie and complain, but the fact is that the OL they played on was a great unit.

As far as TE goes, Shank has not been stretching the field as most people on here thought he would, but his blocking makes up for it. Wiggins has not been missed as I thought he would be.

As far as Defense goes, I have no problems. Those guys are either young, or good at what they do. You could argue that we need to draft replacements at DT and S. Otherwise don't touch them.

Developing young talent means growing pains. That is simply what we are going through. As long as they show flashes, like Rice/Cook/Griffin/Greenway/Edwards/Robison/McCauley and dont completely suck like TJ, I am all for it.

We'll turn the corner next year, when these guys have more experience. That is why it is so important the we don't change coaches. We need the same system in place when these guys come around. Hopefully Chilldress will learn with experience too. He is slowly starting to pull his head out of his ass. Sooner or later it will pop completely out, and when that happens, we will rejoice.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

We'll turn the corner next year, when these guys have more experience. That is why it is so important the we don't change coaches. We need the same system in place when these guys come around. Hopefully Chilldress will learn with experience too. He is slowly starting to pull his head out of his jiggly butt. Sooner or later it will pop completely out, and when that happens, we will rejoice.
    When I started this thread I knew it would elicit some discussion about certain players like Bollinger and Peterson, as well as O-line and Defense.

But my primary thought was, that maybe the coaching staff has turned the corner.

Time will tell.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler

"digital420" wrote:

Corners.

AW.. he's still one of the meanest, hard hitting CB's in the league. I hope he uses what he saw from the sidelines last week and just comes out with the ProBowl performances we know he's capable of. other then him.. we were supposed to be weak due to the rookie/youth contigent at this position. but the kids are stepping up. and playing WELL.. learning from AW has to help, and i can only see them getting better.
    The Chargers game was the best I've seen the 2ndary play in two years. AW was out. What does that tell us?

I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

Vikingryche is offline Rookie

I really believe that we have a shot at going 5-3 maybe 6-2 the rest of the season!!!
    Our Defense played well, because we were able to keep them from being on the field for long stretches.. We actually could be 5-3 right now, rather than 3-5. We have had a couple of hiccups on D, but overall have played pretty good within the scheme..
    We have to be a ball control and big play team, with A.D. back there only makes our qbs job that much easier. Plain and simple B.B. has played the best of the 3 qbs we have played this year, he should remain the starter . IMO he gives us the best chance to win right now..
    Go Vikes!!!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

We'll turn the corner next year, when these guys have more experience. That is why it is so important the we don't change coaches. We need the same system in place when these guys come around. Hopefully Chilldress will learn with experience too. He is slowly starting to pull his head out of his jiggly butt. Sooner or later it will pop completely out, and when that happens, we will rejoice.
    When I started this thread I knew it would elicit some discussion about certain players like Bollinger and Peterson, as well as O-line and Defense.

But my primary thought was, that maybe the coaching staff has turned the corner.

Time will tell.
    Nice posts gentleman!!
    That is what I've been screaming for weeks!!
    It takes time, there will be rookie mistakes-by players and coaches, but hopefully, if the team sticks together, learns together and improves together, we'll win some upset games late this year and truly be in the mix next year!!

I want the Chiller to get his third year, to see what his offense looks like with players who know and are comfortable in it.

I'm starting to think, maybe, Herrera and Cook are the answers at RG and RT...only time will tell.
    Of course, AP does have a way of making the folks around him look good

And, yeah, I'm all for BB getting a start this week too...although he's had his miserable moments as well, he seems to be our best option right now.
    If TJack can ever get his deep ball under control...he's got one hell of an arm, he could be good someday...but as far as projects go, he seems to be furthest away.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

The Vikes have started the turn, now they just have to continue the same way they did last week and NOT skid out of control.
    GB will be an ice patch, I'd rather they be playing Oakland to see them gain more momentum.
    But if they don't fishtail with GB, they will go into Oakland with knowing they very well have made the corner.
    Thus, they can gain some momentum and hit NYG a 5-5 team with a 3 game streak.

[size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"Suick" wrote:
    "digital420" wrote:

Corners.

AW.. he's still one of the meanest, hard hitting CB's in the league. I hope he uses what he saw from the sidelines last week and just comes out with the ProBowl performances we know he's capable of. other then him.. we were supposed to be weak due to the rookie/youth contigent at this position. but the kids are stepping up. and playing WELL.. learning from AW has to help, and i can only see them getting better.
    The Chargers game was the best I've seen the 2ndary play in two years. AW was out. What does that tell us?

it tells us that when given a chance to shine our young players will take it.
    They just need to continue to play like that when he's on the field too

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Lets see how we do this weekend in Lambeau and then assess where you think all these guys are at.

The thing about the San Diego game that impressed me the most (besides AD's Herculean effort), was how hard the Vikings were playing.
    If you can get players to put out that much effort, you've always got a chance.
    This could be attributed to the belief in Childress as many posters have pointed out, don't know, just noticed the intensity.
    Most NFL level talent is fairly even, with the exception of a few on each team.
    Getting the players to understand exactly what it is they need to do allows them to play more agressively and start showing off their physical talents.

We've had flashes of these games over the last 2 years, but we don't seem to have consistency week after week.
    When I see a series of games where we play at the level we did against San Diego, then I will be more of a believer.
    Right now, I am still hopeful that we are turning a corner.

I also agree that we have to show we can win without Peterson putting up 200 yards to be considered a good team.
    What happens if, god forbid, Peterson gets hurt?
    Are we back to the bottom of the scrap pile?

On Brooks, I thought he was effective against San Diego (by our QB standards), but I'd like to see a solid game from start to finish when he knows (and the opponents know) that he will be the starter.
    He may give us the best chance right now, but I would still prefer TJ if he is not hurt.
    If TJ is healthy and plays second fiddle to Brooks, then I think our decision of getting a new QB next year is answered.
    I don't believe Brooks is a viable full season starter.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast