Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 84
  1. #21
    josdin00's Avatar
    josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,619

    Re: Vikings try to sign wide receiver - Fail

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "CTVikingfan" wrote:
    The best part of this is that at least we are looking.
    In the CFL.

    You know, the Arena Football League folded a few months back, maybe they have a great WR we can sign on the cheap
    Well, we're not allowed to look in the NFL yet. Free agency doesn't start until a month or so before the draft, so they might as well look in the CFL and AFL in the meantime.

    ...and I don't believe the AFL folded. The day after that report came out, the AFL owners said that the report was false, and that there would be a season this year.

  2. #22
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings try to sign wide receiver - Fail

    "josdin00" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "CTVikingfan" wrote:
    The best part of this is that at least we are looking.
    In the CFL.

    You know, the Arena Football League folded a few months back, maybe they have a great WR we can sign on the cheap
    Well, we're not allowed to look in the NFL yet. Free agency doesn't start until a month or so before the draft, so they might as well look in the CFL and AFL in the meantime.

    ...and I don't believe the AFL folded. The day after that report came out, the AFL owners said that the report was false, and that there would be a season this year.
    +1

    Thank God somebody is grounded in reality.
    I was about to post this but you beat me to it.
    Every team does this every year.
    The odds of him making final cut or advancing beyond practice squad are remote, which is why he probably rejected it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #23
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings try to sign wide receiver - Fail

    "josdin00" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "CTVikingfan" wrote:
    The best part of this is that at least we are looking.
    In the CFL.

    You know, the Arena Football League folded a few months back, maybe they have a great WR we can sign on the cheap
    Well, we're not allowed to look in the NFL yet. Free agency doesn't start until a month or so before the draft, so they might as well look in the CFL and AFL in the meantime.

    ...and I don't believe the AFL folded. The day after that report came out, the AFL owners said that the report was false, and that there would be a season this year.

    It has been a series of contradicting statements. They canceled the 2009 season and plan to have a 2010 season but realistically it will be pretty difficult to close down for a year and then restart a minor league operation. My guess is the minor league ends up being the end product but who knows.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arena_Football_League

    The league was expected to cancel its 2009 season, partly because of the economic downturn in 2008. It was announced later that the AFLPA (AFL Player's Association, which consists of all AFL players) agreed to take pay cuts in hopes there would be a 2009 season.

    On December 9, 2008, it was announced that a dispersal draft of players from the recently folded New Orleans VooDoo franchise and free agency had been postponed until further notice. On December 10, 2008, it was reported that the 2009 season had been suspended. However, the league produced a statement the same day stating, "Despite rumors and reports to the contrary, the 2009 season has not been suspended." [3]

    However, on December 15, 2008, the Board of Directors contradicted the league's previous statement by announcing that the 2009 season would in fact be canceled, "subject to agreement and cooperation with the Arena Football League Players Association while the League works on developing a long-term plan to improve its economic model." The AFL does plan to resume operations in 2010, and has indicated that the minor league af2 should go ahead with its 2009 schedule. [4]

  4. #24
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Vikings try to sign wide receiver - Fail

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "CTVikingfan" wrote:
    The best part of this is that at least we are looking.
    In the CFL.

    You know, the Arena Football League folded a few months back, maybe they have a great WR we can sign on the cheap
    Well, we're not allowed to look in the NFL yet. Free agency doesn't start until a month or so before the draft, so they might as well look in the CFL and AFL in the meantime.

    ...and I don't believe the AFL folded. The day after that report came out, the AFL owners said that the report was false, and that there would be a season this year.
    +1

    Thank God somebody is grounded in reality.
    I was about to post this but you beat me to it.
    Every team does this every year.
    The odds of him making final cut or advancing beyond practice squad are remote, which is why he probably rejected it.
    You and Jos need to quit ruining my fun.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #25
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Vikings try to sign wide receiver - Fail

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "CTVikingfan" wrote:
    The best part of this is that at least we are looking.
    Agree.
    Problem is, as I feared, it appears the coaching staff has asked for WR help.
    Problem is the FO has probably determined they have spent to much in that area and are looking for "Bargain Basement" help to upgrade it.

    gol 'darnit Bryzcheapski.
    I disagree, he's the reason we're still only 20 mil. under cap. I was amazed hearing that.
    I think we should look for O-line first instead of a contributing receiver. Although i do agree we need one, we need to address several positions
    Sure we are 20 mil under the cap, however, how good could have we been last year if we weren't so far under it and he spent some bucks on talent instead of "Always" being so far under?
    I am pretty sure we have actually used up our space the past year or two by frontloading contracts - that is how we have had the space in the future so often.


    I'm thinking Shianco's contract was particularly frontloaded due to our cap space....


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  6. #26
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Vikings try to sign wide receiver - Fail

    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "CTVikingfan" wrote:
    The best part of this is that at least we are looking.
    Agree.
    Problem is, as I feared, it appears the coaching staff has asked for WR help.
    Problem is the FO has probably determined they have spent to much in that area and are looking for "Bargain Basement" help to upgrade it.

    gol 'darnit Bryzcheapski.
    I disagree, he's the reason we're still only 20 mil. under cap. I was amazed hearing that.
    I think we should look for O-line first instead of a contributing receiver. Although i do agree we need one, we need to address several positions
    Sure we are 20 mil under the cap, however, how good could have we been last year if we weren't so far under it and he spent some bucks on talent instead of "Always" being so far under?
    I am pretty sure we have actually used up our space the past year or two by frontloading contracts - that is how we have had the space in the future so often.


    I'm thinking Shianco's contract was particularly frontloaded due to our cap space....
    You would be correct.

    3/3/2007: Signed a five-year, $18.2 million contract. The deal includes $7 million guaranteed. 2008-2010: $2.1 million, 2011: $3.1 million, 2012: Free Agent

    Only half of the contract is paid in salary over the last 4 years of the deal.
    However i am not sure if there was any signing bonus that is prorated over the outyears of the contract for salary cap purposes.


    The fact that we are being proactive in our searching is a good thing.
    Man we like to bitch about anything.
    If we are searching NFL players now... that is call tampering.
    Its somewhat frown upon by the league, sometimes.

  7. #27
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Vikings try to sign wide receiver - Fail

    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=CTVikingfan link=topic=50211.msg897649#msg897649 date=1232037382]
    The best part of this is that at least we are looking.
    Agree.
    Problem is, as I feared, it appears the coaching staff has asked for WR help.
    Problem is the FO has probably determined they have spent to much in that area and are looking for "Bargain Basement" help to upgrade it.

    gol 'darnit Bryzcheapski.
    I disagree, he's the reason we're still only 20 mil. under cap. I was amazed hearing that.
    I think we should look for O-line first instead of a contributing receiver. Although i do agree we need one, we need to address several positions
    Sure we are 20 mil under the cap, however, how good could have we been last year if we weren't so far under it and he spent some bucks on talent instead of "Always" being so far under?
    I am pretty sure we have actually used up our space the past year or two by frontloading contracts - that is how we have had the space in the future so often.


    I'm thinking Shianco's contract was particularly frontloaded due to our cap space....
    You would be correct.

    3/3/2007: Signed a five-year, $18.2 million contract. The deal includes $7 million guaranteed. 2008-2010: $2.1 million, 2011: $3.1 million, 2012: Free Agent

    Only half of the contract is paid in salary over the last 4 years of the deal.
    However i am not sure if there was any signing bonus that is prorated over the outyears of the contract for salary cap purposes.


    The fact that we are being proactive in our searching is a good thing.
    Man we like to beeyatch about anything.
    If we are searching NFL players now... that is call tampering.
    Its somewhat frown upon by the league, sometimes.
    [/quote]
    Not beyyatching My Sexy Little Pixie.
    Just trying to mess with the Bryzcheapski crotchsniffers.


    Kindof getting them ready for my offseason rants on that cat..... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #28
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,955

    Re: Vikings try to sign wide receiver - Fail

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=50211.msg897672#msg897672 date=1232038182]
    [quote author=CTVikingfan link=topic=50211.msg897649#msg897649 date=1232037382]
    The best part of this is that at least we are looking.
    Agree.
    Problem is, as I feared, it appears the coaching staff has asked for WR help.
    Problem is the FO has probably determined they have spent to much in that area and are looking for "Bargain Basement" help to upgrade it.

    gol 'darnit Bryzcheapski.
    I disagree, he's the reason we're still only 20 mil. under cap. I was amazed hearing that.
    I think we should look for O-line first instead of a contributing receiver. Although i do agree we need one, we need to address several positions
    We're 20M under without taking care of our own FA's.
    How much under do you believe we'll be if we keep Sharper and Birk??
    If we let them go, we have 2 additional potential holes to fill.
    Last
    year we had a ton of money because we had few big names to resign ourselves, this year that's not true.
    Dollars to a doughnut they put a youngster in those wholes......

    gol 'darnit Bryzcheapski.....
    I dont' think they think they've spent too much in that area... your always looking to upgrade your roster.. just bc they looked in the CFL means nothing!
    [/quote]
    Sure you are, however, you don't want to overspend what you budget for each position.
    My guess is that what they spent on B-wade and BB has pretty much tapped that quota.

    Now they could short themselves in another area but to what expense?
    Upgrade a S, C, QB?

    Again, if one were to look at what they have done so far with respect to FA, they have spent big in the following areas:

    a.
    OL - First Big Mac, Hutch, then Herrera contract.
    Gonna have to do something at RT (either resign Cook in a year or so or bring in a Vet) and now C needs to be addressed.
    Ain't gonna give up any there.
    b.
    WR. Already talked about that.
    c.
    S.
    Could spend some here after Sharp leaves but I bet M-will broke that bank.
    Gonna see another rook come in to take the backup spot of STJ after he gets promoted to starter.
    d. TE.
    Shanc took a chunk out of that purse.
    f.
    LB.
    EJ and Ben are under a new contracts from 2006 that suck a bunch of that up.
    Chad will need a deal soon.
    g.
    RB. CT/AD will suck all that up in time.
    Might have a little room here if you want to rob from peter to pay paul.

    I might be wrong on this, but I really don't see them going after a guy like Hous, Johnson etc if in fact they do upgrade the position via FA.


    [/quote]

    i think your looking at it backwards... we are $20mil under the cap and need upgrades at QB, OL, WR, CB, S

    So by the time the LTBEI's fall off the books from players not earning them, we'll probably be around 26mil or so under the cap... plenty of room to do quite a bit!!...
    and rooks only account for about 4-5mil of that if even...

    btw, did yall know chester is a FA next year?>?... what do you think we're gonna do regarding that??

  9. #29
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Vikings try to sign wide receiver - Fail

    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    i think your looking at it backwards... we are $20mil under the cap and need upgrades at QB, OL, WR, CB, S

    So by the time the LTBEI's fall off the books from players not earning them, we'll probably be around 26mil or so under the cap... plenty of room to do quite a bit!!...
    and rooks only account for about 4-5mil of that if even...

    btw, did yall know chester is a FA next year?>?... what do you think we're gonna do regarding that??
    I might be looking at it the wrong way.
    I freely admit, the CAP isn't one of my forte's.

    As to CT.
    I suppose they will go ahead and draft a guy.
    Seems that the rooks coming out can run the ball pretty well.
    AD should have his pass protection issues resolved by then so all we need is a guy to take a few reps off running.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #30
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,955

    Re: Vikings try to sign wide receiver - Fail

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    IMHO the FO has invested enough dollars and draft picks in the WR position to give Childress the tools he needs. If he and his staff are not able to run the offense with what they have I am sure there are others out there who would love to give it a shot.
    you do realize since chilly's been here we've signed and drafted more guys on the defensive side of the ball than offensive side....
    they've gone with youth on offense, but the fact of the matter is it's not working and we need to do what we can to get more playmakers on offense whether in the draft and FA...

    we should also consider bringing back TRIch!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings Positional Analysis: Wide Receiver
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 11:04 AM
  2. Will Vikings select another wide receiver?
    By cogitans in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 03:08 AM
  3. Vikings sign veteran wide receiver
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 05:31 AM
  4. Vikings: Wide open - Leading receiver is Chester Taylor
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2006, 06:09 AM
  5. Jim Souhan - Vikings miss a certain wide receiver
    By Muggsy in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 08:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •