Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Vikes_King's Avatar
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,104

    Re: Vikings': Trick plays not just pulled from a hat

    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=39937.msg678249#msg678249 date=1195826986]
    ....and all along I though Chilly was drawing up the gadget plays in a portable hand-held sandbox.
    I belive that childress is a great offensive minded coach. His ability to gameplan the opening drive is impressive.
    His inability to do squat after the opening drive shows me that he is overwhelmed by the play by play responsibilities of a head coach.
    That is about perfect. I may have to borrow that for my sig line.
    Or not perfect. There is a group of them that plan the opening drives, not just Childress. Bevell & Childress came up with the play in their weekly game planning session with the rest of the coaches.......

    There was nothing usual, however, about the opening play that coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell decided to run against Oakland on Sunday.
    http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1559497.html

    I don't know.
    I think that kevoncox may have hit the nail on the head with that one...
    I don't agree. I got to give him credit along with Bevell for coming up with the play, but a trick play here & there isn't exactly enough for me to start crowning him as a "great offensive minded coach"
    title.

    Especially considering our 4-6 record & watching the rest of our offensive plays this year. We've had a lot of vanilla plays this year & a called run play on 3rd & 12 doesn't exactly scream "great minded" to me.
    [/quote]

    well.. with our offense this season, we've had a lot more 10+ yard rushing plays than we've had 10+ yard passing plays.
    I know thats not exactly backing up the fact that he's a "great offensive minded coach" but when we dont have the QB's to get it done, you dont always have the choices available to you

    (no, i'm not defending Chiller btw)


    http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

    "We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

    - Dan Calabrese

  2. #12
    BBQ Platypus's Avatar
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: Vikings': Trick plays not just pulled from a hat

    We'll see what we think of Childress after facing a REAL defense this week.
    Our offense hasn't shown us much against WINNING teams this year.


    "This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

  3. #13
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,005

    Re: Vikings': Trick plays not just pulled from a hat

    "BBQ" wrote:
    We'll see what we think of Childress after facing a REAL defense this week.
    Our offense hasn't shown us much against WINNING teams this year.
    Chilly is in a "no win" situation this week. If he loses, fans will be calling for his head even though most people expect the Giants to win.
    If he plays Peterson and he gets hurt, they will be calling for his head.
    If he doesn't play Peterson and Peterson could have played they will be calling for his head.
    I don't want to be Chilly this week unless he wins! (Which I doubt)
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

    When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

  4. #14
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings': Trick plays not just pulled from a hat

    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=39937.msg678249#msg678249 date=1195826986]
    ....and all along I though Chilly was drawing up the gadget plays in a portable hand-held sandbox.
    I belive that childress is a great offensive minded coach. His ability to gameplan the opening drive is impressive.
    His inability to do squat after the opening drive shows me that he is overwhelmed by the play by play responsibilities of a head coach.
    That is about perfect. I may have to borrow that for my sig line.
    Or not perfect. There is a group of them that plan the opening drives, not just Childress. Bevell & Childress came up with the play in their weekly game planning session with the rest of the coaches.......

    There was nothing usual, however, about the opening play that coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell decided to run against Oakland on Sunday.
    http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1559497.html

    I don't know.
    I think that kevoncox may have hit the nail on the head with that one...
    I don't agree. I got to give him credit along with Bevell for coming up with the play, but a trick play here & there isn't exactly enough for me to start crowning him as a "great offensive minded coach"
    title.

    Especially considering our 4-6 record & watching the rest of our offensive plays this year. We've had a lot of vanilla plays this year & a called run play on 3rd & 12 doesn't exactly scream "great minded" to me.
    [/quote]

    I wasn't referring to just the trick plays.
    I was talking about the opening drives in general, which have scored more times than not under Childress's coaching.
    I think when analyzing the games on paper and developing an initial game plan, he is very good.
    But he can not make in game adjustments, hence your run play example.
    As kevincox said, His inability to do squat after the opening drive shows me that he is overwhelmed by the play by play responsibilities of a head coach.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #15
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,262

    Re: Vikings': Trick plays not just pulled from a hat

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=39937.msg678312#msg678312 date=1195833144]
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=39937.msg678249#msg678249 date=1195826986]
    ....and all along I though Chilly was drawing up the gadget plays in a portable hand-held sandbox.
    I belive that childress is a great offensive minded coach. His ability to gameplan the opening drive is impressive.
    His inability to do squat after the opening drive shows me that he is overwhelmed by the play by play responsibilities of a head coach.
    That is about perfect. I may have to borrow that for my sig line.
    Or not perfect. There is a group of them that plan the opening drives, not just Childress. Bevell & Childress came up with the play in their weekly game planning session with the rest of the coaches.......

    There was nothing usual, however, about the opening play that coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell decided to run against Oakland on Sunday.
    http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1559497.html

    I don't know.
    I think that kevoncox may have hit the nail on the head with that one...
    I don't agree. I got to give him credit along with Bevell for coming up with the play, but a trick play here & there isn't exactly enough for me to start crowning him as a "great offensive minded coach"
    title.

    Especially considering our 4-6 record & watching the rest of our offensive plays this year. We've had a lot of vanilla plays this year & a called run play on 3rd & 12 doesn't exactly scream "great minded" to me.
    [/quote]

    I wasn't referring to just the trick plays.
    I was talking about the opening drives in general, which have scored more times than not under Childress's coaching.
    I think when analyzing the games on paper and developing an initial game plan, he is very good.
    But he can not make in game adjustments, hence your run play example.
    As kevincox said, His inability to do squat after the opening drive shows me that he is overwhelmed by the play by play responsibilities of a head coach.
    [/quote]

    The only part I'm objecting with is the "Great offensive mind" part. The plays after the 15 scripted plays are between Childress & Bevell. I don't think Childress is calling all the plays, so I really can't agree that he's overwelmed by them.

    Keep in mind those scripted plays are decided on a night or two before the game and is done by commitee. Not just Childress & Bevell.

    A "Great offensive mind" would be able to make adjustments on the fly & call the proper plays for the proper situation. That is what
    great offensive minds do.

    Whether that is Childress, Bevell or the two of them together calling the plays, I just haven't seen enough good calls to deem either one of them "Great offensive minds".




    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #16
    VikingMike's Avatar
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Vikings': Trick plays not just pulled from a hat

    Trick plays are only good once in a game, maybe once over a few games. The trick is when to use the play to get maximum effectiveness.

    Although trick plays might help open to up the running game, it takes a consistent attack to be successful. I personally would like to see more quick in-routes where TJack can unload the ball fast enough where he isn't rushed and doesn't have to make as many decisions. This will help build some confidence.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

    Come from the land of the ice and snow...

  7. #17
    BleedinPandG is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    969

    Re: Vikings': Trick plays not just pulled from a hat

    "VikingMike" wrote:
    Trick plays are only good once in a game, maybe once over a few games. The trick is when to use the play to get maximum effectiveness.

    Although trick plays might help open to up the running game, it takes a consistent attack to be successful. I personally would like to see more quick in-routes where TJack can unload the ball fast enough where he isn't rushed and doesn't have to make as many decisions. This will help build some confidence.
    He did those at the start of the season, the WRs dropped em.
    TJack has a cannon for an arm much like Favre, I'd expect he can get similar results from those types of throws.
    I'm guessing we'll see those this week.
    The Cowboys will be sitting on the button hooks, Vikes are going to have to turn it up a notch.
    Last week built TJs confidence some and showed the accuracy, this week he has to make some real throws.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

  8. #18
    Frostbite is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    966

    Re: Vikings': Trick plays not just pulled from a hat

    I honestly believe that the "Etch a Sketch" should become standard NFL tool for 2008. With all the artificial turf in the League it's become impossibe to draw out the trick plays on the ground. Childress should order one ASAP.

    Trick Plays/Gadget plays.....Nice when they work....awful when they don't....and if you are forced into using them in every game something is missing in your regular offensive package. JMHO


    Cheers! ;D
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

  9. #19
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings': Trick plays not just pulled from a hat

    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=39937.msg678249#msg678249 date=1195826986]
    ....and all along I though Chilly was drawing up the gadget plays in a portable hand-held sandbox.
    I belive that childress is a great offensive minded coach. His ability to gameplan the opening drive is impressive.
    His inability to do squat after the opening drive shows me that he is overwhelmed by the play by play responsibilities of a head coach.
    That is about perfect. I may have to borrow that for my sig line.
    Or not perfect. There is a group of them that plan the opening drives, not just Childress. Bevell & Childress came up with the play in their weekly game planning session with the rest of the coaches.......

    There was nothing usual, however, about the opening play that coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell decided to run against Oakland on Sunday.
    http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1559497.html

    I don't know.
    I think that kevoncox may have hit the nail on the head with that one...
    I don't agree. I got to give him credit along with Bevell for coming up with the play, but a trick play here & there isn't exactly enough for me to start crowning him as a "great offensive minded coach"
    title.

    Especially considering our 4-6 record & watching the rest of our offensive plays this year. We've had a lot of vanilla plays this year & a called run play on 3rd & 12 doesn't exactly scream "great minded" to me.
    [/quote]

    I did say almost.

    So strike the first sentence and replace the "His" with "Their" and "Head coach" with "NFL team" and I will take it ;D

  10. #20
    Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,654

    Re: Vikings': Trick plays not just pulled from a hat

    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    Trick plays are only good once in a game, maybe once over a few games. The trick is when to use the play to get maximum effectiveness.

    Although trick plays might help open to up the running game, it takes a consistent attack to be successful. I personally would like to see more quick in-routes where TJack can unload the ball fast enough where he isn't rushed and doesn't have to make as many decisions. This will help build some confidence.
    He did those at the start of the season, the WRs dropped em.
    TJack has a cannon for an arm much like Favre, I'd expect he can get similar results from those types of throws.
    I'm guessing we'll see those this week.
    The Cowboys will be sitting on the button hooks, Vikes are going to have to turn it up a notch.
    Last week built TJs confidence some and showed the accuracy, this week he has to make some real throws.
    No doubt... We can't let TJack hold onto the ball.

    For the passing game we need:
    -slants
    -out routes
    -SCREENS!!!!!!

    i think the screen, if ran effectively, will be the key to passing in the first half.. that should slow up the pass rush for the second half.

    And throw a trick play in.. if the steelies can do it, so can the vikes. besides, it'll make it more tempting for bill cowher to come over and take chillies job! jk jk

    i m better than you, so just give up...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Top Ten Vikings Plays of the Decade?
    By JDogg926 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-27-2009, 12:08 PM
  2. The Vikings' Top Five Plays in 2008
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 06:33 AM
  3. Vote On Vikings Top Plays
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 11:45 AM
  4. Trick plays...
    By cc21 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 12:49 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •