Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings Training camp Postcard:SI.com

"Prophet" wrote:
    "thevikingfan" wrote:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jim_trotter/08/06/vikings.postcard/index.html

I love how there is a picture of jackson throwing the ball with his right arm soon as you open the link and it says "the viking season rests on jacksons left arm".....stupid

Tarvaris Jackson knows the Vikings' chances this season ride on his left arm.
    His left arm is the only thing that will separate his body from the defenders that get by McKinney.

Json is offline GM

Brady wasn't "stoic" when he was getting his arse handed to him in the Super Bowl this year.
    He was finger pointing and yelling at his linemen all day long.
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha!
    I would be as well....The offensive line lost that SB for them, period.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The Vikings are definitely for real, even without a proven starting QB.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks for the read my friend.

1. All eyes are on second-year starting quarterback Tarvaris Jackson. The team will go only as far as he takes it. Jackson is the only major question mark on a club that didn't need a lot of upgrades
    He is the major question mark, however, I have more questions on this team than just TJ.
    I agree there are other question marks, like how well the WR's, TE's and Offensive Line will perform. Will we have costly drops, penalties and turnovers?

I keep seeing this over and over, "The Team will go only as far as Jackson takes them". The good news here is that he completed an 8-4 record last year as a rookie starter with no legit weapons. I think the key word here is "Team" and something we take serious, we need Tarvaris to do his job and I garuntee its expected of him. I like Tarvaris believe he will not be the weak link unlike the massess.

The Team will only go as far as the "TEAM" will take us, IMO this includes a playoff birth and Post Season success.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "thevikingfan" wrote:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jim_trotter/08/06/vikings.postcard/index.html

I love how there is a picture of jackson throwing the ball with his right arm soon as you open the link and it says "the viking season rests on jacksons left arm".....stupid

Tarvaris Jackson knows the Vikings' chances this season ride on his left arm.
    His left arm is the only thing that will separate his body from the defenders that get by McKinney.

The fixed it.

Tarvaris Jackson knows the Vikings' chances this season ride on his right arm.
    maybe they thought he was Vick because he's black and can run...
    :

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

"The guy has kind of a Tiger Woods mentality: He worries about things he can control, not things he can't," says quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers. "He's really good with that kind of thing. He really competes against himself every day. He's very professional. You'll never see any kind of outward emotion from him. He knows the world of pro football and the hard, cold facts of what goes on. But he's concerned about what Tarvaris Jackson does."

Love this quote and a perfect example of a guy being "wired" right as Childress would say. I think its important he focuses on what he can control. Smart Kid and I can tell he really does well listening to his coaches and spunging that information.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Ok. We are "for real". But you can say that about probably 25 of the NFL teams.

So my question is, what stands out, and makes us above or below the "average" solid NFL team (let's use the Browns as the benchmark):

Vikes have:
    - Better run defense by far
    - Corners who mostly really know how to tackle
    - Two very good running backs.
    - The NFL sack leader at DE (i.e, a potentially very dominant D-line)

Now the downside, compared to most teams:
    - QB
    - WRs
    - TE
    - Special teams (?)

Overall, we are about where most NFL teams are, probably a bit better. I do think that our defensive line can be very, very good this year. I do think AP is going to be incredible this year, and our running game will be ridiculous. Is this enough to make up for a relative lack of passing game ? We will see...

"StillPurple" wrote:

So my question is, what stands out, and makes us above or below the "average" solid NFL team (let's use the Browns as the benchmark):

Vikes have:

- QB
    - WRs
    - TE
    - Special teams (?)

Overall, we are about where most NFL teams are, probably a bit better. I do think that our defensive line can be very, very good this year. I do think AP is going to be incredible this year, and our running game will be ridiculous. Is this enough to make up for a relative lack of passing game ? We will see...

This is completely your opinon and I disagree.

On paper this team is as good as any, we are youthful, athletic and smart minded. We've created an atmosphere thats screams sucess and the boys know it. I think if you soley base your judgements off of last season your points make more sense.

Our CB's are not only great tacklers (The best the league) but Winfield himself is an above average corner even with the steep amount of passess thrown our way and the lack of Pass Rush. Too many fans forget that Griffin was actually a first time starter last year and he's just entering his 3rd season, he's having a very nice camp. I'm very pleased with our CB's, not only the starters but the overall depth.

QB is a big question for the massess, they fail to intigrate what will be as the season moves foward. I'm comfortable with our QB situation as long as the others are able to do there jobs. The WR's I'm also very comfortable with, our best WR's this year harldy saw time or any for that matter in 08. I think the core of WR's is night and day. Great job in FA and the Draft. Shancoe is my surprise pick for the offense I think he does very well, I think he does more playing in a fluid motion rather than thinking. The offensive line looks solid to me, I think just the general atmosphere and experience will do wonders for there 3rd full year in Childress's system.

I also really like our specail teams, with the overall depth we have at DB and LB its huge, we should be very strong specail teams. Guys like Vinny, Pope, T. Johnson, Eric Frampton amongst others should really solidify this unit. Not only the coverages but the Kickers are strong in what they do and the competion to be return man in phenominal.

Overall I put us in the top 10 in the league automaitically and expet to see that number improve.

To answer your question about what makes us stand out we'll first discuss the second year player AP who is the most gifted back in the league, we saw what he did last year, just wait till his all around games starts to shine. Our Oline is built of Roadgraders while we have two new starters at WR. Back to running game it really is phenominal to see what we have for blockers other then the OL. Shancoe, Tapeh and Jimmy K are very stout while Rice and Wade have proven there worth blocking from the WR position. Berrian is willing to do this also but its hard to comment on something I have not seen him do. As for WR's go I feel confident that this group is night and day from last season and will act as pressure relivers for the rest of offense.

Moving over the defensive side of things we have a potential all world defense capable of breaking several records, this becomes even more evident when the offense becomes consitent in what they do.

In the end I don't see glaring weakness's within the current team, what Childress and Co have been able to do over 2 seasons is absolutly fantastic, as a fan I couldn't ask for more. I think this season will be very solid but I look for it to be even brighter in the next few years, as the young guys that we draft along with the FA's are able to get comfortable. I think SB's are on the horizon and it all started when we got Ziggy Wilf as our owner, how about that for standing out, not alot of owners do what he has done. Great time to be Viking fan.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

Vikes have:

- QB
    - WRs
    - TE
    - Special teams (?)

This is completely your opinon and I disagree.

On paper this team is as good as any, we are youthful, athletic and smart minded. We've created an atmosphere thats screams sucess and the boys know it. I think if you soley base your judgements off of last season your points make more sense.

Our CB's are not only great tacklers (The best the league) but Winfield himself is an above average corner even with the steep amount of passess thrown our way and the lack of Pass Rush. Too many fans forget that Griffin was actually a first time starter last year and he's just entering his 3rd season, he's having a very nice camp. I'm very pleased with our CB's, not only the starters but the overall depth.

QB is a big question for the massess, they fail to intigrate what will be as the season moves foward. I'm comfortable with our QB situation as long as the others are able to do there jobs. The WR's I'm also very comfortable with, our best WR's this year harldy saw time or any for that matter in 08. I think the core of WR's is night and day. Great job in FA and the Draft. Shancoe is my surprise pick for the offense I think he does very well, I think he does more playing in a fluid motion rather than thinking. The offensive line looks solid to me, I think just the general atmosphere and experience will do wonders for there 3rd full year in Childress's system.

I also really like our specail teams, with the overall depth we have at DB and LB its huge, we should be very strong specail teams. Guys like Vinny, Pope, T. Johnson, Eric Frampton amongst others should really solidify this unit. Not only the coverages but the Kickers are strong in what they do and the competion to be return man in phenominal.

Overall I put us in the top 10 in the league automaitically and expet to see that number improve.

To answer your question about what makes us stand out we'll first discuss the second year player AP who is the most gifted back in the league, we saw what he did last year, just wait till his all around games starts to shine. Our Oline is built of Roadgraders while we have two new starters at WR. Back to running game it really is phenominal to see what we have for blockers other then the OL. Shancoe, Tapeh and Jimmy K are very stout while Rice and Wade have proven there worth blocking from the WR position. Berrian is willing to do this also but its hard to comment on something I have not seen him do. As for WR's go I feel confident that this group is night and day from last season and will act as pressure relivers for the rest of offense.

Moving over the defensive side of things we have a potential all world defense capable of breaking several records, this becomes even more evident when the offense becomes consitent in what they do.

In the end I don't see glaring weakness's within the current team, what Childress and Co have been able to do over 2 seasons is absolutly fantastic, as a fan I couldn't ask for more. I think this season will be very solid but I look for it to be even brighter in the next few years, as the young guys that we draft along with the FA's are able to get comfortable. I think SB's are on the horizon and it all started when we got Ziggy Wilf as our owner, how about that for standing out, not alot of owners do what he has done. Great time to be Viking fan.
    If we are a top 10 offense, who would you rank above us?

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    On paper this team is as good as any, we are youthful, athletic and smart minded.
    Youthful?
    The Vikings?

Are you joking?
    The Vikes have multi-year veterans at every starting position except for QB, RB, WLB and #2 CB.
    That's hardly youthful.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    On paper this team is as good as any, we are youthful, athletic and smart minded.
    Youthful?
    The Vikings?

Are you joking?
    The Vikes have multi-year veterans at every starting position except for QB, RB, WLB and #2 CB.
    That's hardly youthful.

=Z=
    I would say we're a solid mix of veteran talent and youth. If you want youth look at the packers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast