Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    We need to keep Toby. If something happens to AD we would have no running game without Toby and since we aren't a passing team as yet that would mean we have no game at all.
    Or we could sign one of the millions of RB looking for a start in FA.
    He leaves next year anyway. Might as well shop him.
    Also, if we lose AD, our season is done regardless of who is running the ball.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Or we could sign one of the millions of RB looking for a start in FA.
    He leaves next year anyway. Might as well shop him.
    Also, if we lose AD, our season is done regardless of who is running the ball.
    +1. However with the current RB's left in free agency, I don't see any team giving up anything spectacular for Toby.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    One way or the other while AP is a once in a franchise type RB, you have to know deep inside that what we need to do as a team to make him perform to his potential is hampering the team in some ways and we may see a more balanced team after he is gone.

He is as good as anyone has ever seen when he carries the ball but when it comes to pass protection he really leaves a lot to be desired and that hinders the productivity of the passing game. Also, while he can catch the ball out of the backfield he does not excel at it and in many ways that limits what we can do offensively when he is on the field. If he were better in those 2 areas then we could be more clever in the formations and plays we run because the defense would not know what is coming. Right now if it is a passing play, he is often taken out of the game. If he is in, there is a high possibility that it will be a run.

When we had Chester Taylor he was not as good as a pure runner but he was much better in pass protection and in catching passes and it made the team more balanced. When AP moves on if we can find another CT type player we may see a much better overall team, although it will almost certainly not be as good running the ball.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Oh man, I miss Chester Taylor! Him and Peterson was the perfect half back duo. I was so bumbed when he went to Bears, but who could blame him? He KNEW Minnesota would give him less and less opportunities to run the ball because they just drafted the best runningback since Barry Sanders.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    One way or the other while AP is a once in a franchise type RB, you have to know deep inside that what we need to do as a team to make him perform to his potential is hampering the team in some ways and we may see a more balanced team after he is gone.

He is as good as anyone has ever seen when he carries the ball but when it comes to pass protection he really leaves a lot to be desired and that hinders the productivity of the passing game. Also, while he can catch the ball out of the backfield he does not excel at it and in many ways that limits what we can do offensively when he is on the field. If he were better in those 2 areas then we could be more clever in the formations and plays we run because the defense would not know what is coming. Right now if it is a passing play, he is often taken out of the game. If he is in, there is a high possibility that it will be a run.

When we had Chester Taylor he was not as good as a pure runner but he was much better in pass protection and in catching passes and it made the team more balanced. When AP moves on if we can find another CT type player we may see a much better overall team, although it will almost certainly not be as good running the ball.
    Stop reading at AP hindering the passing game....
    One would wonder why in god's name would we have our only weapon stay in to block instead of running a slide? At worst, the lb covers him and you have a bit more to work with in the middle. At best, he pulls extra coverage and other people open up... or... no one picks him up and he gets the ball in his hand with only DBs left to tackle.
    Last edited by kevoncox; 04-20-2013 at 09:48 PM.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    I like Toby and see no reason to give him up for some rookie. People tend to forget that Toby was only 35 votes short of winning the Heissman. He has good hands can catch the ball and he is a power back. On top of that he is a veteran player now and knows the play book. And he is not taking up huge cap space. Since we are not taking a RB in the first round there is no one that can be drafted who is as good.

WWBGD

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer
    Amazing how this thread changed from trading up to Toby Gerhart...who I believe is likely to leave during free agency for a chance at being a starter (or at least get more touches).

I just don't see/think that there are many players that fit the Vikings needs that they are worth trading up for. I personally hope they aren't after Te'o, but that's beside the point. Virtually any mock you can create, I can find players at 23 and 25 I'd like to have. If Plan A gets drafted ahead of us, there are viable plan B's.

One or two exceptions though that I could see. Suppose there is a player that you don't believe will drop to you at 23, but they might drop far enough to entertain you trading up to get them. Would a Lotulelei at #17 interest you, or a Warmack, or a Jones?

I also think it's more likely to see the Vikings move up into the early 2nd and have three picks in the top 40 than see them move up to an earlier spot in the 1st.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Stop reading at AP hindering the passing game....
    One would wonder why in god's name would we have our only weapon stay in to block instead of running a slide?
    I agree 100% with PF on this one.

Like it or not running the ball & catching the ball aren't the only things a RB is required to do. Pass blocking is also a very important role for a RB to be good at, especially when our team has more designed pass plays than we do run plays. You just can't send AD out to receive on every single pass play and allow defensive players to get to the QB, especially on blitzes. If we always did that, it wouldn't take defenses long to pick up on it & know that if they blitz, they won't have to worry about a RB being there to help in pass protection.

Perhaps, in part at least, one of the reasons we throw so many short passes is because we lack good pass blocking abilities from AD, which would result in our passing game being hindered as PF stated.
    Last edited by singersp; 04-21-2013 at 09:17 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    I also think it's more likely to see the Vikings move up into the early 2nd and have three picks in the top 40 than see them move up to an earlier spot in the 1st.
    THAT makes WAY more sense!! Our early 4 could be added to our 2nd to boost it up to right around 10, add our 5th, and we might get the 5th or 6th pick of the 2nd day. And the top ten of the 2nd round will still be full of quality players at CB, DT, and WR. Keenan Allen or Robert Woods at WR, Jesse Williams or Kawaan Short at DT, or at CB, Hayden's sudden arrival as a top 2 or 3 CB pushes guys like Trufant and Jamar Taylor down a bit. Barring injury, and/or Spielman losing his mind, something like this should bear 3 immediate starters.

The market for RBs is pretty nil, I wouldn't bet we get offered anything worth while for Toby. That said I see no need to spend any mid or earlier picks on RB. We've got Toby for one more year and there are several FA available if we need to pick one up down the road.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    I could see us trading up to take T Austin. Instant replacement for P Harvin.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast