3-21
    4-5
    4-23
    5-22
    6-21
    7-7
    7-8
    7-23

None of those are compensatory picks meaning ANY of them can be dealt.

We have 11 picks, realistically 11 rookies aren't going to make the roster. May as well trade some to get what we need. I'm not advocating moving up to the top-15, but moving around the board will be good.

no reason we can't end up with something like:

1-23
    2-6 (trade down with someone like the Cards)
    2-20
    3-7 (Trade with someone like Cards)
    4- 5
    4-15(trade our pick up to get someone, packaged with a 7th or two, depending on whats needed)
    5- 22
    6-21
    7-8

9 picks, 6 picks in the first four rounds, while upgrading our 3rd and fourth round picks. Gotta be able to get something good out of that.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Wouldn't it be better if we kept all of our picks from rd 1 to rd 4, then traded some of our picks from rds 5 through 7 and moved back up say into the 4th rd to get better players? This team needs a lot of help and depth, so moving back doesn't solve those problems necessarily. I mean, they very well could, but its not likely.

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I honestly believe that this draft will determine if this team becomes dominant for 4-5 years or continue to be a mid level team.

Trading back into the early 2nd with one of our first can net us a 3rd and give us 4 picks in "essentially the first 2 rounds"

A draft of

25th 'Te'o
    34th "Hunter"
    52th "DT/CB"
    99rd "CB/DT"

I would like us to use some heat from the 5th and 6th rounds to load up in the 4th. We have enough ammo and needs that we can really flesh this roster out with starters and quality depth to make a difference. Trade Toby while we are at it for a 3rd/4th. Fire sale at Mall of America field... everything must go.
    Do you think we could get a 3rd/4th for Toby? Nothing against Toby, but I highly doubt we could get that much for him.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    We have

1-23
    1-25
    2-20
    3-21
    4-5
    4-23
    5-22
    6-21
    7-7
    7-8
    7-23

None of those are compensatory picks meaning ANY of them can be dealt.

We have 11 picks, realistically 11 rookies aren't going to make the roster. May as well trade some to get what we need. I'm not advocating moving up to the top-15, but moving around the board will be good.

no reason we can't end up with something like:

1-23
    2-6 (trade down with someone like the Cards)
    2-20
    3-7 (Trade with someone like Cards)
    4- 5
    4-15(trade our pick up to get someone, packaged with a 7th or two, depending on whats needed)
    5- 22
    6-21
    7-8

9 picks, 6 picks in the first four rounds, while upgrading our 3rd and fourth round picks. Gotta be able to get something good out of that.
    It is so hard to tell what to do until it unfolds. We don't know who is going to fall, we know a couple of good players fall, sometimes we don't even know why but they fall. We may stay pat and get some bargains or realize in the second of third a player we covet is within reach and have to move up to get him. At this point with so mant teams not kowing who they want it is really going ot be a fun draft. There hasn't been a draft like this in a long time where you have talent like this in the first two rounds and teams may go anywhere. It is just chaos compared to recent drafts.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Do you think we could get a 3rd/4th for Toby? Nothing against Toby, but I highly doubt we could get that much for him.
    It would depend if a team needs a workhorse RB, Gerhart is a steal. He will get you a hundred yards most games, his problem is AD. He doesn't get enough touches to wear down that D, a team with that kind of philophy and need of a starting RB may spend a third round on him. Afterall he is a known quantity (somewhat) compared to the risk of drafting a RB and taking a flyer on a RB.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    With Bradshaw, Beanie Wells and Michael Turner still Free agents, tough to see someone coughing up a third for Toby.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately, Minnesota will probably not get much for Tobe Gerhart in a trade. The simply reason is that only the Vikings fans know Gerhart's true potential. Consequently, a team trading for Gerhart will get more in return that they would expect. Based on how other teams value Gerhart, I think the best value the Vikings can get in return is a 4th round pick. But based on Gerhart's true value he is worth a 3rd round pick (and probably more, but that's stretching it a little). I truly think he can be a work-horse type of fan favorite running back somewhere.

Also, I think playing on the same team as Adrian Peterson will make any running back look slow and poor. When Gerhart gets a carry I suddenly feel like the time is slowed down a little, but that's just the effect of playing with the best runningback since Barry Sanders. Gerhart is also a big runner so that makes him look a little slower. Gerhart is actually faster than most people think. I'm sure that many people don't even know that he runs a late 4,4 in the 40 yard dash (damn, all this 40 talk has messed up my brain!).

He's 26 years old now. For an half back, that's midway through his career so even a late second round pick is too much for him, but considering that he has had so little wear and tear in Minnesota he's probably closer to 24 years old physically speaking.

Toby seems durable and i think he has a lot of mileage on him. Probably 5 years as a workhorse somewhere. 10 years if he's gonna back up Adrian the rest of his career.
    Last edited by HEY; 04-19-2013 at 03:23 PM.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    It is so hard to tell what to do until it unfolds. We don't know who is going to fall, we know a couple of good players fall, sometimes we don't even know why but they fall. We may stay pat and get some bargains or realize in the second of third a player we covet is within reach and have to move up to get him. At this point with so mant teams not kowing who they want it is really going ot be a fun draft. There hasn't been a draft like this in a long time where you have talent like this in the first two rounds and teams may go anywhere. It is just chaos compared to recent drafts.
    Agreed

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Interesting ... wouldn't mind it if we worked this out.
    NFL Draft 2013 rumors: Vikings looking to trade up - SBNation.com

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    We need to keep Toby. If something happens to AD we would have no running game without Toby and since we aren't a passing team as yet that would mean we have no game at all.

WWBGD

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast