Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings to trade up in first round?

Vikings looking to trade up in first round

Minnesota Vikings looking to trade up in first round - NFL.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    This just does not seem like the draft to move up. Too many good options out there who fit our multiple needs...we need those extra early picks. Unless, it was a shorter move, like just in front of Chicago to get the MLB we want? Our early 4 and our 5 would bump our 23 up to NYG's no.19 and at that spot we could likely have any MLB we want, plus we'd still have a 1, 2, 3, 4 to go.

WR don't seem likely, I just don't see the need to move up on Austin or Patterson. The first is so small, his frame makes me think that sooner or later, he'll be missing time regularly. Then again, if they're going to continue pushing the rules toward flag football, the lil speedster might be great. Patterson has all the physical skills, but only 50 something catches, and thus sounds a bit too much like Williamson to me. I'd rather move back, get an extra pick, and draft 2 WRs and hedge our bets. Besides, I've seen some mocks where Cordarelle Patterson drops to us at 23 anyway.

CB makes even less sense. We don't play much man coverage, and moving up on a CB would imply grabbing a guy with serious coverage skills, where we usually draft mid to later CBs, put them in zone coverage, and coach 'em up since that is Frazier and Alan Williams specialty.

This rumor smells of smoke (screen.)
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    This just does not seem like the draft to move up. Too many good options out there who fit our multiple needs...we need those extra early picks. Unless, it was a shorter move, like just in front of Chicago to get the MLB we want? Our early 4 and our 5 would bump our 23 up to NYG's no.19 and at that spot we could likely have any MLB we want, plus we'd still have a 1, 2, 3, 4 to go.

WR don't seem likely, I just don't see the need to move up on Austin or Patterson. The first is so small, his frame makes me think that sooner or later, he'll be missing time regularly. Then again, if they're going to continue pushing the rules toward flag football, the lil speedster might be great. Patterson has all the physical skills, but only 50 something catches, and thus sounds a bit too much like Williamson to me. I'd rather move back, get an extra pick, and draft 2 WRs and hedge our bets. Besides, I've seen some mocks where Cordarelle Patterson drops to us at 23 anyway.

CB makes even less sense. We don't play much man coverage, and moving up on a CB would imply grabbing a guy with serious coverage skills, where we usually draft mid to later CBs, put them in zone coverage, and coach 'em up since that is Frazier and Alan Williams specialty.

This rumor smells of smoke (screen.)
    If we were to move up, I would think it would be just a few spots to get a head of a few teams that might be targeting similar players (i.e., st louis - WR or Chicago MLB). Fairly inexpensive trade.

Otherwise, I agree, the depth appears to be strong this year, where more picks will lead to higher value than moving up.

On Patterson, I've seen a large number of mocks that have him sliding to us. Very raw, being valued mostly for his speed and height. I would understand the pick, but I think he is of higher value to more vertically oriented offenses.

I'm still a bigger fan of picking a more accomplished route runner with a large catch radius to fit better with our offense and QB. Hopkins/Allen/Woods type. Allen appears to keep sliding for a number of reasons, so starting to get a bit leary on this dude as well.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    If we were to move up, I would think it would be just a few spots to get a head of a few teams that might be targeting similar players (i.e., st louis - WR or Chicago MLB). Fairly inexpensive trade.

Otherwise, I agree, the depth appears to be strong this year, where more picks will lead to higher value than moving up.

On Patterson, I've seen a large number of mocks that have him sliding to us. Very raw, being valued mostly for his speed and height. I would understand the pick, but I think he is of higher value to more vertically oriented offenses.

I'm still a bigger fan of picking a more accomplished route runner with a large catch radius to fit better with our offense and QB. Hopkins/Allen/Woods type. Allen appears to keep sliding for a number of reasons, so starting to get a bit leary on this dude as well.
    If we were to move up, i think it would be for a MLB.
    The GMEN need one as do the Bears.
    That can cause us to miss out on Te'o and Ogletree.
    I think we are truly in love with Te'o (ND player) and he is the true target.

Expect us to draft 2 guys from ND and 2 guys from USC this year.
    Seems like the only schools we draft from.

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    If we were to move up, i think it would be for a MLB.
    The GMEN need one as do the Bears.
    That can cause us to miss out on Te'o and Ogletree.
    I think we are truly in love with Te'o (ND player) and he is the true target.

Expect us to draft 2 guys from ND and 2 guys from USC this year.
    Seems like the only schools we draft from.
    Te'o/Motta from ND and Woods/Barkely from USC?

I was hoping Wilf would expand the travel budget this year to allow our scouts to check out a few more teams. I hear there are pretty good players on the east coast as well that would be good to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Te'o/Motta from ND and Woods/Barkely from USC?

I was hoping Wilf would expand the travel budget this year to allow our scouts to check out a few more teams. I hear there are pretty good players on the east coast as well that would be good to look at.
    Apparently, the Southeastern Conference in the NCAA is an up and coming one.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    LOL!! U SO FUNNY!!

Just wanted to look at a few options for comparison:

NO doesn't have a 2nd rounder...perhaps they'd like one. Our no.23 and 2nd are roughly equal to their no.15 and 4th rounder.

CAR's no.14 is spot on equal to our no.25 and 2nd rounder.

TB's no.13 is really close to our no.23 and 2nd.

I think its more likely that MIA wants to move up for one of the top 3 OTs, but if they missed out and wanted back instead, both our firsts would be close to the value of their no.12, earlier 3rd rounder (no.77) and 4th round pick. Umm, 2 firsts for a near top ten pick and two mid picks, a 3 & 4. That is almost cool, cuz we could maybe trade both 3rds for a mid 2nd, or the earlier picks in 3 and 4 for a late 2nd.

Ie, we still get 3 picks in the first 2 rounds, but one of the firsts goes up and the other down. I think that could work out OK too, but unless Milliner is there at CB I'm not sure who we'd target at 12...Star?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Probably a smokescreen.
    Reaching for a receiver in this draft seems to be a formula for selecting a bust. Moving up to select T'eo or Ogletree may be worthwhile, if they don't have to give up too much to get there.

But the Vikings should be able to fill positions of need and get 2 or 3 starters if they stand pat.

I expect Rick to trade down at some point to carry a couple extra picks into next years draft.

Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Probably a smokescreen.
    Reaching for a receiver in this draft seems to be a formula for selecting a bust. Moving up to select T'eo or Ogletree may be worthwhile, if they don't have to give up too much to get there.

But the Vikings should be able to fill positions of need and get 2 or 3 starters if they stand pat.

I expect Rick to trade down at some point to carry a couple extra picks into next years draft.
    I honestly believe that this draft will determine if this team becomes dominant for 4-5 years or continue to be a mid level team.

Trading back into the early 2nd with one of our first can net us a 3rd and give us 4 picks in "essentially the first 2 rounds"

A draft of

25th 'Te'o
    34th "Hunter"
    52th "DT/CB"
    99rd "CB/DT"

I would like us to use some heat from the 5th and 6th rounds to load up in the 4th. We have enough ammo and needs that we can really flesh this roster out with starters and quality depth to make a difference. Trade Toby while we are at it for a 3rd/4th. Fire sale at Mall of America field... everything must go.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    This doesn't sound legit IMO. Why reach for a WR when a few can be had even in the 2nd rd? What is to love about Patterson? He doesn't run good routes, and we need a guy that can bring it starting week 1 this season.

Austin would be a nice addition, but not at the cost of moving up to get him. If the Vikings move up to draft Ogeltree or T'eo, that is just plain stupid as both may very well be available when we pick in the first rd because of character issues with Ogeltree, and the coverage abilities of T'eo.

This team has so many holes to fill, please don't waste draft picks reaching for a player. Haven't they learned their lessons with T-joke and Ponder? Draft BPA according to need with every pick, that should be good. With 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, we should be able to come away with at least 3 starters. If that happens to be a WR, MLB, and CB, all the better. DT is a position they can fill in the later rounds, or even move back up into the 2nd or 3rd rounds and get one. Please, just don't reach for a player like Patterson, Ogeltree, or T'eo.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast