Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
    bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

Re: Vikings Trade for Holcomb (formerly Holcomb interested in Vikings?)

aj sounds like alot of people i've been hearing all offseason.
    obviously the plan all along was to hand over the team to tavaris, this far fetched dream that had us signing a veteran starter to compete was never even on the radar.
    the only reason you would want trent green, when obviously he would only want to be a starter, is to start.
    what you seem to miss is that the vikings top brass feel that tjack gives just a good a chance to win with the team we have than any vet qb.

trent green would have ended up another brad johnson, which is what he'll be in miami.
    they can not make plays, they have to have solid offenses around them where they can manage the game.
    not ideal for us huh?
    trading for holcomb is a good move cuz you get a veteran qb who has expereince starting and coming off the bench.
    trent green, randall cunningham, or earl morrall has nothing to do with this convo.
    we needed a vet backup qb.
    we traded for one.
    he gives us experience at the position if jackson goes down.
    that's it.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"bigbadragz" wrote:
    obviously the plan all along was to hand over the team to tavaris, this far fetched dream that had us signing a veteran starter to compete was never even on the radar.
    the only reason you would want trent green, when obviously he would only want to be a starter, is to start.
    what you seem to miss is that the vikings top brass feel that tjack gives just a good a chance to win with the team we have than any vet qb.

trent green would have ended up another brad johnson, which is what he'll be in miami.
    they can not make plays, they have to have solid offenses around them where they can manage the game.
    not ideal for us huh?
    trading for holcomb is a good move cuz you get a veteran qb who has expereince starting and coming off the bench.
    trent green, randall cunningham, or earl morrall has nothing to do with this convo.
    we traded for one.
    that's it.
    Sounds reasonable to me!

Looks like BBR might be losing his toolness after all...must be the company that he is keeping here!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "bigbadragz" wrote:

not ideal for us huh?
    we traded for one.
    that's it.
    Sounds reasonable to me!

Looks like BBR might be losing his toolness after all...must be the company that he is keeping here!
    That was pretty well said BBR.

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    [quote author=Del Rio link=topic=35428.msg627490#msg627490 date=1188433434]
    We went after some talent. Its a two way street.

Kevin Curtis said no thanks we threw everything we had at him. It isnt wal-mart. You cant just go in get what you want and leave. They actually have to WANT to play here and honestly until we start winning it probably wont happen.

Using the pats as an example is kind of jaded. I mean thats like saying well the fatest kids in the world chose to go play for the chocolate factory.

Who wouldnt want to play for the pats if you were a free agent. Randy Moss? No ring.... why would he pass on a chance to play for the Patriots.....

Hell, I wouldnt be surprised if some PLAYERS PAID THEM to let them on their roster....I kid, but seriously they have buying power we dont have. Just because we didnt get them doesnt mean we didnt try. It takes success and time.
    Or could it be that the front office isn't doing a very good job of selling it's vision to the free agents? If they have a solid plan, a solid coaching staff and the money to pay people, they will get them. If they have the money but the players on the roster are putting out bad vibes, however, then players will certainly stay away.

There was a time when teams like the cowboys and 49ers were on top and a GM from a small market loser team went out and did a great sell job to free agents like Reggie White,Keith Jackson and others while trading for some obscure QB with a funny last name and somehow he got them to sign on the line. Maybe our front office isn't up to the job.
    I dont buy it, but neither of us know enough about to know. So you may be 100% right.

However it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out competitive people want to win. In the NFL it is financially benificial and competitively benificial to move where the food is.

You comparing NE being able to get free agents when we couldnt doesnt mean a whole lot to me when they are a dynasty, a prooven contender, and currently intact with possible/probable hof players and a coach.

So to think it is some horrible short coming by the front office IMO is a bit of a stretch to point a finger with biterness. Its always a two way street. If we didnt sign the player you wanted it doesnt mean we didnt try perhaps they did. Maybe he didnt want to come here and rebuild. Simple clean and proven.
    I'm not the least bitter and never lobbied for us to sign any of the players I mentioned. It was stated that there was no talent, I provided an example of talent that was available and was signed by another team for money that would have worked within our salary cap.

Then I was told that wasn't a good example because everybody wanted to go to that team because they were winners so I used an example of a small market pathetic team that put together a super bowl team by convincing top free agents to sign with them because they had a plan to win.

That is not a bitter post, it is just examples of what other teams have done in this league when they wanted talent and went after it.I understand that this staff wants to build through undeveloped sleeper signings and draft picks and if they do it I am fine with that, but it does get annoying to hear people say that there wasn't talent available in this offseason. It is easier to say that is not how the staff wants to build the team.
    but at the same time, in all of this, youve missed the biggest point of all, which is that the guys that were out there this season werent worth the money they got anyways..were waiting to cash in on the big fish in the future..the example ive been using is san francisco, who drafted a bunch of young potential star players, and built those guys into a competitive football team..when all these FAs saw this, they wanted to go there and be the missing pieces to whats going on there..the vikings are the team with youth that hasnt shown it can compete yet, and quite frankly, id prefer not getting joe horn or kevin curtis if it means we miss out on a big money guy next year because we wasted money on the lesser talents a year earlier

wilfs made his money in real estate by being a very smart businessman..hes not going to just spend freely for the sake of spending..hes gonna give the guys that deserve the big contracts when they come to the door rather than going out and finding wash ups and overpaying them..like i also said before, would you rather overspend on crap now, or overspend on real talent later?..theres a reason championship contending teams didnt go after joey porter, kevin curtis, or joe horn, because even they wont overspend for guys that cant live up to the money

Look back at the first post Del replied to. I gave 3 examples of players who were better than anyone that we have on our rosters at their positions. They did not sign for an astronomical amount and they could have came in, started, and gave us an upgrade over what we had. As fas as Curtis, he was not anyone I saw as a game changer and it's good he went somewhere else. None of the players I stated were past their prime or washed up.

And let me repeat that I never pressed for any of these players to be signed. My point is and has been, if we are building through young, underdeveloped talent and the draft I have no problem with it if they can pull it off, but to say either we can't get players because there were none,they were too expensive or because they went somewhere else because the other team was more successful just doesn't cut it for me.
    [/quote]

The point was so what if they signed for small ammounts of money. It doesnt always boil down to money. Location, success, personal preference all play a role. It isn't as easy as hey lets throw a dumptruck full of money at them and they wont be able to deny us.

It is not always benificial to throw your intentions out there to the media. We have no idea if they attempted to get these players. Having a winning team, a new stadium, being close to their hometowns, a coach with a solid reputation......many many variables.

To simply say we did nothing is a bit ignorant imo. Not that you did say that, but if someone thinks the Vikings can have anyone they want they are mistaken.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Looks like the acquisition of Holcomb has lit a fire under Bollinger...at least looking at the stats for the game against the Cowboys!
    LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Looks like the acquisition of Holcomb has lit a fire under Bollinger...at least looking at the stats for the game against the Cowboys!
    LOL
    ha ha.
    yah i guess when competing for the starting job he just couldn't handle the pressure.
    but when you try to take his job holding the clipboard, he's not messing around.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627