Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings too loose with TE's

[size=12pt]Too loose with tight ends[/size]

Vikings content to give up short pass, and that suits Bears' Olsen just fine

By Rick Alonzo
    [email protected]

Updated: 11/29/2008 12:56:36 AM CST

The Vikings have given up some big plays and big numbers to tight ends this season.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings too loose with TE's

I just posted a similar article.
    Yeah, I thing Olsen (and Clark) can be a big threath the next game.

Rambro is offline Rookie

So appraantly as a team, we are content with the bend but don't break philosophy. Maybe if our offense was more consistent I would be fine with that, but we usually don't score enough points to keep up with teams like that. The good ones anyways.

it is pretty tough to cover athletic tight ends like olsen when you also have to watch out for the rushing attack.

but we do need to do a better job on that. it seems like the tight ends do find a way to break our defence. expecually Clark from what i noticed.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

We have rarely matched our safeties up with the offenses TEs. Maybe it is time to start doing that?

That would be especially true against a team like Chicago that uses their TEs a lot and has average WRs.

At the same time, doing that leaves us more susceptible to a deep threat.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler

We got eaten alive by Chicago's tight ends last game.
    Hopefully Chilly will make some sort of adjustment...
    oh wait...

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    We have rarely matched our safeties up with the offenses TEs. Maybe it is time to start doing that?

That would be especially true against a team like Chicago that uses their TEs a lot and has average WRs.

I am not impressed with our LBs in coverage. I think we should give it a shot.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:

I have nightmares about TE's and our S's.......... Can't remember the last time one of them got over and helped the LB out with a guy who releases into the seam especially on a certain side of our D.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

I have nightmares about TE's and our S's.......... Can't remember the last time one of them got over and helped the LB out with a guy who releases into the seam especially on a certain side of our D.....
    I honestly think this is a strategy problem and not an execution one. If the offense sends two options into a S's zone, it seems that our Safeties have been instructed to guard against the deep threat and help out the DB instead of the LB.

I think the only way to shutdown the TE would be to iso Winny on his man and let the safety man up against the TE with the LBs guarding the hook-to-curl zones. It works if Winny can handle man coverage.

The second we try this though, we might get burned deep, and you'll be complaining that our Safeties didn't help out our DBs well enough.

IF we can do what we did in the Houston game, shutting down Johnson at the expense of giving up yards to Daniels, I'm ok with that.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

I honestly think this is a strategy problem and not an execution one. If the offense sends two options into a S's zone, it seems that our Safeties have been instructed to guard against the deep threat and help out the DB instead of the LB.

I think the only way to shutdown the TE would be to iso Winny on his man and let the safety man up against the TE with the LBs guarding the hook-to-curl zones. It works if Winny can handle man coverage.

The second we try this though, we might get burned deep, and you'll be complaining that our Safeties didn't help out our DBs well enough.

IF we can do what we did in the Houston game, shutting down Johnson at the expense of giving up yards to Daniels, I'm ok with that.
    You know I will always find something to be critical about with respect to our defensive play my friend.
    ;D

With that said, you might be correct in that it is a "Scheme dictated issue" related to how our D-coord wants to play, however, I think it is more along the lines of a issue with our S's ability to cover thier respective zones.

First, STJ in there on one side.
    Probably not a talent issue but rather a inexperience issue.
    Second, Sharp on the other side, IMHO, is a speed issue.
    All kidding aside, he is gambling more and more because of a lost step or two.
    That my friend will get you hung out to dry every time.

Again, not sure what I saw, but I believe I saw them run out Sapp in replace of Sharp one time last game and went with 3 LB'rs, 3 CB's and 1 Saftey.

If in fact I did see that, I give props to ole Leslie for trying something unique, at least for this team.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast