Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings’ TOA is unique in the draft room

The Vikings have consistently referred to their management style for the draft and free agency as the Triangle of Authority – a business term that, if illustrated, looks like a Ponzi scheme and, for the most part, is inaccurate in its definition. The triangle is said to be composed of three equal points – Spielman, Childress and V.P. of football operations Rob Brzezinski. While Brzezinski does play an important role, it is primarily in structuring player contracts and handling other behind-the-scenes matters. Spielman and Childress would identify free agents and Brzezinski would hammer out the details. But, when it comes to the draft, his role is more to man the phones and entertain trade offers. Given that Spielman did point out the Vikings want their third-round pick back somehow, that could mean working the phones will be a busy job duty – which likely would involve trading back in the first round by five or more spots to get a third-rounder in return. But, when it comes to making the call to New York to lock down a draft pick, it’s Spielman’s job to assign talent grades to players and let the coach pick which need is more a priority when the pick comes in
    As expected, Spielman made it sound like there will be S’mores being made over an open fire with everyone singing “Kumbaya” on draft weekend. He will rate the players and, if there are equal grades, Frazier will make the call. There may much more to it than that, but, as long as they maintain the integrity of it, the Tripod of Authority remains in place – despite Childress being sent packing.
    Vikings’ TOA is unique in the draft room
    A very good article that actually paints the picture the way I believe it works.

Additionally, it has some other gems involving the way other organizations work....

As it currently stands, there are only two head coaches that are the primary voice in their respective team war rooms – Bill Belichick in New England and Pete Carroll in Seattle.
    When it comes to the draft, there are few dictatorships, but there are demarcations of authority. More than half the league (17 in all) have franchises whose draft war room is dominated by a general manager in position to be the final voice in the decision-making process –
    Nine other teams boast a G.M./head coach partnership
    Kindof blows the falacy out of the water for people who tend to believe that the HC runs the draft.

On a side note, I still remember the cat on here who thought that the Chiller was actually at the table in NY making the picks......:lol:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings’ TOA is unique in the draft room

Pretty fair article. I would expect Spielman to have a bit stronger role (at least this year) then under Childress. At least, he probably is expecting it.

The Vikings maintain it’s business as usual with the Triangle of Authority. Whether Spielman exerts more authority as the vested member of the scouting staff will be determined in six weeks.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

[quote="Marrdro" #1092163]
    Kindof blows the falacy out of the water for people who tend to believe that the HC runs the draft.
    Can you please get some new material. I never EVER saw anyone say Chilly ran the draft.

[quote="marstc09" #1092195]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092163
    Can you please get some new material. I never EVER saw anyone say Chilly ran the draft.
    Are you kidding me???? I am in heated discussions with a few that still believe the Chiller is responsible for not drafting anyone but TJ.

I need to search and go find the one were the guy was arguing with me that the Chiller actually sat at the table in NY.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1092178
    Pretty fair article. I would expect Spielman to have a bit stronger role (at least this year) then under Childress. At least, he probably is expecting it.

The Vikings maintain it’s business as usual with the Triangle of Authority. Whether Spielman exerts more authority as the vested member of the scouting staff will be determined in six weeks.
    I wouldn't be suprised if he doesn't get a bit more vocal. I really never put two and two together when I looked at his role based on things like when he was hired and the other factors regarding the JA trade.

What is suprising is that very few on here commented on this article.