Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings@Titans - Preseason Week 1 - Post Game

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1104353
    The OL is going to be the Achilles of the offense. The old QB cannot play with pressure on him and the Center is going to get msnhandled like a fresh inmate on a weekly basis. The LT has a lot to adjust to before he is serviceable and that is going to lead to lots of sacks, runs for no gain and more hurried passes.

My guess is the only thing that will prevent certain posters from calling for brett to come out of retirement is pride.
    Sully looked fine, much to my suprise. Dnabb did a good job getting out of the way, that I wasn't suprised to see.

I think the OL is going to be the least of our worries this year, regardless of what some people on here have been harping about for what seems like forever.

Don't forget, even with three backups in there last year we graded out middle of the league. That isn't as bad as some on here think.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "johnkdbr" #1104354
    Hard to tell on first game. Did not feel the Vikes were in this one emotionally. Lot of confusion. Thought Ponder looked like a lost rookie but will give him the benefit of the doubt because he was playing with the #2's & 3's. I will say "Ryan Mallet" looked the best of the rookie QB's. This guy is gonna be a superstar in the NFL!!!! We should of took him with our 2nd pick & grabbed a DL or OL with our first pick.
    I still say that when Mallet faces a real pass rush his slow butt will get hurt.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1104357
    Hard to tell on first game. Did not feel the Vikes were in this one emotionally. Lot of confusion. Thought Ponder looked like a lost rookie but will give him the benefit of the doubt because he was playing with the #2's & 3's. I will say "Ryan Mallet" looked the best of the rookie QB's. This guy is gonna be a superstar in the NFL!!!! We should of took him with our 2nd pick & grabbed a DL or OL with our first pick.
    I still say that when Mallet faces a real pass rush his slow butt will get hurt.
    Tell that to Brady and Manning
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1104365
    I wouldn't bother if I were you.

He's under the impression that pocket QB's can't succeed in todays NFL because they'll get hurt right away. (while conveniently forgetting that Manning hasn't missed a game since he got drafted)

I almost can go with that, however, Peyton and Brady are slow, but Mallethead makes them look like world record holders.

Mix in the new things defenses are doing these days and I will stick by what I said before........cats like Mallet are a dying breed.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

After seeing McCoy progress it looks like Chilly screwed the pooch by not drafting him last year.

But I guess the play of Cook at CB has made us forget about all of the other players available at that pick.:P

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1104367
    I wouldn't bother if I were you.

He's under the impression that pocket QB's can't succeed in todays NFL because they'll get hurt right away. (while conveniently forgetting that Manning hasn't missed a game since he got drafted)
    As always your off the mark my friend, but hey, I'm getting used to you being confused.

For those that weren't in the discussion, my point was centered on a couple of things....

a. Increased use of the Zone Press defensive schemes both from a 3-4 and a 4-3 scheme. They will make it almost impossible for a QB to stand in the pocket. Ones that can't move won't last. That is about 2 years away before it is prevelant throughout the league.

b. The types of QB's that are getting drafted and are now being successfull are young, mobile, spread offense types. Why? Cause coaches throughout the league understand what I just said in item a.

The only think Mallethead has going for him is he wound up with a team that actually has a OL that can protect him for the time being and he has one hell of a arm. As long as he can learn to read those complex schemes he might suceed.

After watching what he did when he got pressured at the collegiate level, I highly doubt he will, again, based on what defenses will be doing in the next 2 or 3 years. :whistle:

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

McNabb looked comfortable and his mobility will help a lot. Bounce back year coming this season.

Webb disappointed. I was expecting more awareness coming off his rookie year. I still say we should be using him instead as a WR. Involve him on reverses, do the old Randy Moss fake reverse and let him throw it. Just be creative with the freakish raw talent that he has.

Ponder looked pretty good. I do not see the weak arm that experts blabbed about. He definitely has more zip on it than Chad Pennington ever had. He isn't as far away as I thought. Watching his mobility I understand why he was so effective on 3rd downs in college.

I actually thought the O-line did an average job. Of course I want better production but the talent is just not there. No one is going to be turning water into wine with the unit that we have. Blame McKinnie, the front office, and McDonalds for that.

I am starting to like Gerhart. He just needs his own Chester Taylor then we can dump Peterson for draft picks :P

Hoped to see more throws to Jenkins.

Berrian had some catches but he is not the answer as a down the field receiver and it isn't his speed that is the problem. He does not go up after the ball. You cannot be passive and just hope that the DB doesn't knock it down.

Aromashodu actually caught my attention. I saw a guy that at least went after the ball. He is also pretty quick on his cuts and seemed to create separation.

I am not a fan of Camarillo but it is hard to ignore how reliable he is. Very rarely do you see him drop a catchable ball. With our receiving unit it is hard to cut a guy that actually has good hands.

Robison did not look good and if he doesn't step it up it would not shock me to see Everson take his spot. I swear Everson is freaking built. For all the criticism our management gets I feel they do a pretty damn good job at finding D-line guys late in the draft. Everson, Ballard, even Reed looked good.

Corners were what I expected. Cook needs to do better, second year he needs to step up. I am not as concerned because Griff and Winny were not playing.

I am looking forward to watching Mistral Raymond get some time next game. At USF he had a nose for the ball. Was always good at reading and reacting. I like Sanford due to his hard hitting style but I question his speed which is why I believe Johnson will win that job.

As for keeping 5 receivers, boy I am glad I don't have to make the decision. In my opinion Jenkins, Harvin, and Cam are our 3 most reliable receivers. Jaymar would be hard to cut due to his punt returning ability. You desperately want Berrian to be productive but if he cannot then you need a guy like Aromashodu. At this point the only route I trust Berrian to catch are slants.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

One thing I couldn't help noticing is that the Vikings succeeded in bringing in another safety who can't cover. :sick:
    This is a good example on what I'm talking about from last nights game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4_uwvuTo4c

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1104394
    One thing I couldn't help noticing is that the Vikings succeeded in bringing in another safety who can't cover. :sick:
    This is a good example on what I'm talking about from last nights game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4_uwvuTo4c
    Looks like he is a perfect fit for the scheme.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast