Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Re: Vikings | Team likely to sign Henson

"petrodemos" wrote:
    think this is spielmans doing? all these wierd signings...benching robinson for the chicago game just so they could keep mann on the roster because they signed him off of someones practice squad and now cut him...sigh...

very interested in seeing the results to all this, maybe they finally find a gem in all these throw aways.
    The Dolphins fans are talking about the 'curse of Spielman' and that's why they got Daunte.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

they want a 3rd QB on the roster just until TJ comes back, they've already stated that, jackson will be out at least through the bye, maybe another game afterwards, just incase something terrible happens in those weeks, they need to fill the roster spot with an actual QB, rather than putting darren or someone there

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

"ejmat" wrote:
    "PurpleRide" wrote:
    I think this would be a bad move unless they plan on sending TJ to the IR.
    Where is the brad johnson is a warrior chants around here about this topic anyways.
    BJ wont get hurt, he is the god of all QB's.
    Leave it to you to start with this.
    I don't think anyone ever referred to BJ as the God of QBs.
    We refer him as a good QB that is under-rated.
    - And he's underpaid. He needs a raise!

stateVIKE44 is offline Pro-Bowler

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIN/9689798

Looks like the Vikes signed Henson to the Practice Squad.
    "I play for the love of the game; I play because there is no greater feeling than hearing 80,000 fans screaming when you smack somebody!"
    ~ Jared Allen

Yankee Viking is offline Waterboy

Hey, why not?
    As long he dosen't have to hit a curveball he should have more productive career with my favorite football team.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"stateVIKE44" wrote:

beat me to it.

MINNESOTA (Sept. 27, 2006) -- Minnesota signed quarterback Drew Henson to the practice squad, adding another arm while rookie Tarvaris Jackson recovers from injury.
    thats all that really matters about it, dont worry people, tavaris will be fine

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

theman is offline Training Camp

"Bdubya" wrote:
    Sweet!
    Well not really sweet, because he isn't any good.
    But I still believe that if he didn't go into baseball when he came out of Michigan, he would be one of the better QB's in the league right now.

But he went into baseball and he isn't very good....So hopefully BJ and Brooks won't get hurt.

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    "stateVIKE44" wrote:

beat me to it.

MINNESOTA (Sept. 27, 2006) -- Minnesota signed quarterback Drew Henson to the practice squad, adding another arm while rookie Tarvaris Jackson recovers from injury.
    thats all that really matters about it, dont worry people, tavaris will be fine

Sooooo...what's the point? Ooooohhhh....another "big name" QB who is going to "own" Brad Johnson.
    Brad is a warrior that has proven himself in battle.
    He has his ring.
    The Vikes are too worried about the whole QB issue.
    Its not the QB, its the WRs in my opinion the Vikes have basically no WR squad.
    "The Vikes have gotta do what the Vikes have gotta do." ;-)

-theman, gameday

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

[size=10pt]Former Michigan star Henson signed as No. 3 QB[/size]

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/706680.html

The Vikings found a high-profile name to serve as their scout-team quarterback Wednesday, signing former Michigan star and New York Yankees farmhand Drew Henson to their practice squad.
    Henson worked out at Winter Park late Tuesday night, his fourth workout since the Dallas Cowboys released him Aug. 24. Earlier Tuesday, Henson threw for coaches in Miami; in the end, he accepted the Vikings' offer to be their third arm while rookie Tarvaris Jackson recovers from surgery on his right knee.

Henson's tenure likely will be timed to Jackson's rehabilitation, expected to last about a month. But Henson said, "You're not trying to just be a holdover."

At the very least, he added, "This gives you a chance to practice for a few weeks and show them what you can do."

Henson and coach Brad Childress go back 16 years, when Childress was the wide receivers coach at the University of Utah in 1990. Henson's father, Dan, was offensive coordinator. Childress' wife, Dru-Ann, baby-sat Drew, then 10.

"He's has made a few stops [since then]," Childress said, "but it's funny how this athletic thing kind of brings you back eye-to-eye."

Meanwhile, Jackson already is walking without crutches after having a torn meniscus repaired Monday. Childress speculated that Jackson conceivably could recover in time to serve as an emergency quarterback Sunday at Buffalo. A more likely scenario would have Jackson returning after the Vikings' Oct. 15 bye.

"The injury is a couple-of-weeks type of thing," Jackson said. "But it depends on the person. I've never had an injury like this where I had to have rehab and go get treatment and all that. I'm just trusting our trainers."

Less Moore

Mewelde Moore led the Vikings with 662 yards rushing on 155 carries last season. But Moore has only six rushing attempts in three games this season playing behind Chester Taylor.

"I see him as a role player right now," said Childress, who is using Moore in third-down situations. "His biggest role right now is being a punt return guy. I would be lying to you if I thought Mewelde is 1,000 percent. He might tell you that he doesn't quite have all of his faculties from that injury."

Moore missed nearly four weeks of practice during training camp because of a knee injury. He had a season-high three carries in Sunday's loss to the Bears, gaining 23 yards. He also caught three passes for 18 yards.

"I'm just focused on trying to do everything I possibly can to help the team, in every situation that will come," said Moore, who has returned 10 punts for an average of 6.5 yards. "I'm grateful to get the opportunity to make that effort. I'm giving it all I have, so I'm just happy that I'm getting an opportunity to go out there and get a chance."

Etc.

• Defensive tackle Kevin Williams was given permission to leave the team to attend to a personal matter. As of Wednesday, he was expected to return in time to play against the Bills.

• Nose tackle Pat Williams was listed as questionable on the injury report because of a sprained ankle, but he did not miss any practice time and likely will be upgraded later this week.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

[size=10pt]VIKINGS REPORT[/size]

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15624983.htm

Once considered the future franchise quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, Drew Henson accepted a far more modest role Wednesday with the Vikings.

While rookie Tarvaris Jackson recovers from minor knee surgery, Henson joined the Vikings' practice squad to ease the burden on starter Brad Johnson and backup Brooks Bollinger.

"I can't really explain the situation in Dallas," Henson said. "It didn't work out, and I'm happy to move on. I moved somewhere where they wanted to bring you in and want you to be a part of what they're trying to do."

The question is for how long.

Jackson is expected to need only a few weeks to recover from arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. But Henson hopes he can make enough of an impression running the opposing team's offense in practice that he can stick even after Jackson regains his health.

"That's what you're trying to do," Henson said. "It gives you a chance for a few weeks to practice and show them what you can do."

It's been a precipitous fall for Henson.

Despite being a ballyhooed prospect at the University of Michigan, Henson left football and signed a lucrative contract with the New York Yankees. But his baseball career never took off, and he returned to football.

Henson had only modest success with the Cowboys, starting only one game in 2004. In August, the Cowboys released him, despite investing more than $3 million in him.

Henson tried out for the Miami Dolphins on Tuesday before conducting a late-night throwing session for the Vikings. He also had workouts for the Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts.

"You look at coach (Brad) Childress and his track record," Henson said. "It's a place where things are going well and growing."

Childress and Henson have a history. Childress' wife, Dru-Ann, baby sat Drew when they lived in Utah, when Childress coached at the University of Utah with Henson's father, Dan.

"I was 10 years old, and they lived down the street. So the wives would get together and take the kids to the park and stuff," Henson recalled.

Asked if he was a well-behaved youngster, Childress said, "You know, I'm going to call her and ask her that, find out exactly how he was."

Childress said Henson's "strong arm," stature and intelligence were among his attributes.

Jackson said he is recovering well and indicated his meniscus was not too severely torn.

"I don't think it was that bad, personally," Jackson said. "I'm walking without crutches already."

Jackson said this is his first major injury, noting that he only had a bruised knee once that kept him off the field for a few plays.

"It's something different. It's not all of a bad thing," he said. "It's probably an experience I need to go through."

Childress said Jackson's mother told him that her son was a "quick healer."

Injury update: Starting strong-side linebacker Ben Leber did not practice Wednesday but remained confident he would play Sunday in Buffalo.

Leber said he was unsure if he would practice today but was not worried about falling behind.

"I don't think it's all that important," Leber said of the practice. "They're not doing anything too crazy or unconventional that I don't already know."

Leber is expected to test his sprained left knee today. He said he suffered the injury in the first quarter Sunday, but he put on a brace and finished the game without much pain.

"I don't think there's going to be any problem this weekend," he said.

Jason Glenn is Leber's backup on the depth chart. But the Vikings could plug Dontarrious Thomas in at strong-side linebacker if Leber cannot play. Leber is listed as questionable.

• Childress said running back Mewelde Moore's primary role is as a punt returner now.

"I would be lying to you if I thought Mewelde was 1,000 percent," Childress said. "He might tell you that he doesn't quite have all of his faculties from that injury but obviously enough where he can make a run like he made the other day."

• Defensive tackle Kevin Williams was excused from practice for personal reasons, a team spokesman said.

Briefly: The Vikings worked out three defensive tackles Tuesday, including Chad Lavalais, who had 2½ sacks for the Atlanta Falcons last year. The other tackles were Lorenzo Alexander (California) and Tony Brown (Memphis).

• Childress said he doesn't question his players' effort. But he said the "standard of performance" has been a "little bit uneven."

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    That makes sense, I completely spaced the practice squad +/-.
    Same here. Makes total sense now. No need to release TJ, just a backup plan if we need it.
    One of the main reasons they signed a 3rd QB instead of waiting for TJ to get healthy was for practice, so BJ & Bollinger wouldn't have the onus of taking all the snaps.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast