Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Vikings | Team expected to remain active

KFFL
    Vikings | Team expected to remain active
    Sat, 2 Sep 2006 20:01:53 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings will actively look to upgrade their roster over the weekend with players who have been released from other NFL teams. "If there is a player out there that can help our team," said vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman, "then we'll make that move. ... It could be an offensive lineman, a linebacker, a safety, a cornerback or a receiver or anything else. We are just going to keep improving the roster. We are not going to isolate it to an issue here or an issue there."

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings | Team expected to remain active

love it, we got the cap room, so why not?

never stop trying to improve our team =) as long as they dont cut anyone that should really stay

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

well duh..
    them and every other team in the NFL..
    no brainer

(dont mean to be sarcastic, but all the other teams will be looking to upgrade too)
    i m better than you, so just give up...

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

If that means realizing we are thin at DB , then resigning Fox and Offord while cuttng Mitchell and and OL to make space, sounds good to me.

If that means cutting McMullen and signing Warrick or Rod Gardner, sounds good to me.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

So, I wonder how long it'll be before we bring Ron Dayne in for a look. There is that Childress/Wisconsin connection and all.
    Even babies know the difference.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"kramer9guy" wrote:
    So, I wonder how long it'll be before we bring Ron Dayne in for a look. There is that Childress/Wisconsin connection and all.

I doubt we will look at Ron Dayne, but I guess you never know.. We look pretty set at RB, but if they think he will help us, then they will give him a shot..

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

that is good to hear that we want to try and help the team. there must be someone who can come in
    We're bringing purple back.

MaddenVodkaAddict is offline Coordinator

Perhaps Mr. Rogers? Nah.
    I Love Kerry Collins (and John Rocker).

XxS2TheEvoxX is offline Pro-Bowler

I hope we take a look at Hanik Milligan. He's a really good special teamer.

Others I'd like to look at are Darius Watts, Charles Rogers, Tyrone Calico, Fred Matua, Terna Nande, Danny Clark, Orien Harris.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Sun, Sep. 03, 2006

[size=13pt]Vikings planning more moves[/size]
    Team gets rid of McMahon, Goldberg

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

There were no real surprises Saturday when the Vikings reduced their roster from 75 players to the NFL regular-season limit of 53.

In addition to veteran quarterbacks Mike McMahon and J.T. O'Sullivan, the Vikings released 19 more players, including guard Chris Liwienski and safety Willie Offord, and traded guard Adam Goldberg to St. Louis.

The Vikings also officially announced the signing of wide receiver Todd Pinkston, who agreed to terms Friday on a one-year contract, and placed cornerback Dovonte Edwards on season-ending injured reserve.

Edwards, the team's third cornerback and No. 1 nickel back, broke his right arm in Thursday night's 10-10 tie at Dallas and was expected to miss six weeks.

Vikings coach Brad Childress was not available for comment, but vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman said the team's 53-man roster is likely to undergo some changes before the Sept. 11 regular-season opener at Washington.

"We'll be very active," Spielman said. "As we get the cuts tonight, if we feel there is a better player out there than is currently on our 53, then that's our job to get him in and to help us become a better football team. If there's a player out there, we'll definitely make a move."

The Vikings are particularly thin at cornerback, with only rookie Cedric Griffin and Ronyell Whitaker behind starters Antoine Winfield and Fred Smoot, who sat out the Dallas game because of bruised ribs.

Spielman wouldn't bite, though, when asked if that was a position the Vikings would be targeting.

"I don't want to get into specifics on what exactly we're looking for," he said. "We're not one guy away from the Super Bowl, and I don't think any team is ever one guy away from the Super Bowl. I think you take it on a case-by-case basis."

Three interesting cornerbacks to hit the waiver wire Saturday were Ray Mickens of the New York Jets and Matt Ware and Dexter Wynn of the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Vikings also might be living dangerously at running back, where Mewelde Moore missed the last three exhibition games because of a left knee injury, leaving Ciatrick Fason and undrafted rookie Wendell Mathis as the only healthy backups behind Chester Taylor.

Ron Dayne played at Wisconsin when Childress was an assistant coach there and is available after being released by Denver, but Spielman wouldn't comment on possible interest in him or any specific players.

"There'll be names out there and names that are well known," Spielman said. "But again, they have to fit the criteria of player that we're trying to bring in here, both on and off the field. As coach tries to establish a new culture, we want to make sure we bring in players that fit into that culture."

That probably means the Vikings won't be bringing in wide receiver Charles Rogers, who was released by Detroit three seasons after the Lions made him the second overall selection of the 2003 draft and has a four-game NFL suspension for substance abuse on his undistinguished résumé.

As for the players who were let go Saturday, McMahon said he didn't begrudge the Vikings' decision to release him after what he called the worst preseason of his NFL career.

He only wishes he would have gotten a better chance.

"I really felt I wasn't given the opportunity that I thought I was going to get when I signed here," said McMahon, who had a 23.7 passer rating in three exhibition games but didn't play in Thursday's finale. "I thought I would have gotten more reps, but I understand that they drafted Tarvaris (Jackson) and they wanted to take a look at him. That's football. Life's not always fair."

That also was the reaction of Goldberg, who grew up in Edina and said he was sorry to be leaving his hometown team but looking forward to a new opportunity in St. Louis.

"I was surprised," he said. "I really didn't know what to think. I do know we had a lot of offensive linemen who are good football players and something had to give. This is home so I hate to leave, but at the same time it's a great opportunity for me."

The Vikings will receive a seventh-round pick in the 2008 draft for Goldberg, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

Of the other veteran players released, the most notable were linebacker Rod Davis, tight end Richard Angulo and cornerback Dustin Fox, the Vikings' third-round draft choice in 2005.

Also released were wide receivers Ryan Hoag, Chris Jones, Josh Davis and Kevin Kasper; cornerbacks Tony Beckham and Charles Gordon; defensive ends DeQuincy Scott and Khreem Smith; running back Adimchinobe Echemandu; fullback Steven Jackson; linebacker Kyle McKenzie; center Jason Palermo; offensive tackle Donald Penn; and defensive tackle Eric Taylor.

Sean Jensen contributed to this report. Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast