Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Vikings | Team could have an interest in Feeley

I guess we're not the only people that are concerned about McMahon and O'Sullivan.

================================================== =========

KFFL
    Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:10:17 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Star-Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings might have an interest in QB A.J. Feeley (Chargers). Feeley is familiar with head coach Brad Childress' system after playing in it with the Philadelphia Eagles when Childress was the offensive coordinator.

================================================== =============

Interest in Feeley?
    August 29, 2006
    Judd Zulad

An interesting name hit the transaction wire last night when the San Diego Chargers released backup quarterback A.J. Feeley. Considering the fact Mike McMahon has had a poor preseason and rookie Tarvaris Jackson should be able to spend this year learning on the job and not being thrust into the starting role if something happens to Brad Johnson, Feeley’s availability should cause some interest at Winter Park.

Feeley knows the Vikings’ West Coast system very well, having played in it in Philadelphia when Brad Childress was the Eagles’ offensive coordinator. Feeley has started 13 of 18 games with the Eagles and Dolphins. The Dolphins actually had high hopes for Feeley at one time. Of course, he was cut for a reason. Feeley was outplayed by rookie Charlie Whitehurst. Philip Rivers is the Chargers’ starter

================================================== ===========

Chargers waive Feeley, Oben goes on PUP
    By Bernie Wilson
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

7:53 p.m. August 28, 2006

SAN DIEGO – Backup A.J. Feeley was waived Monday by the San Diego Chargers, whose remaining three quarterbacks have zero NFL starts and one touchdown pass among them.
    The Chargers also released two draft picks and learned they'll be without left tackle Roman Oben for the season's first six weeks. As it is, the Chargers are currently down to fourth-string left tackle Cory Lekkerkerker as they try to keep first-year starting quarterback Philip Rivers in one piece. Rivers' backups are both rookies.

Inside linebacker Donnie Edwards, on the trading block since spring, returned to practice after being sidelined for several weeks with a back injury.
    Coach Marty Schottenheimer shrugged off his quarterbacks' lack of experience.

“We feel very, very confident about our starting quarterback,” he said.

Feeley had been second on the depth chart behind Rivers, but was outplayed in training camp by rookie Charlie Whitehurst.

“That's why we took the guy in the third round,” general manager A.J. Smith said. “He's pretty talented. We gave him an opportunity and they had quite a battle.

“It's kind of more about Charlie Whitehurst than it is about A.J.,” Smith added. “Charlie had a solid camp and he's getting better every day. He's had a fast development. This gives A.J. an opportunity to make a mad dash and see if he can get a job.”

Feeley was obtained along with a sixth-round draft pick for quarterback Cleo Lemon on Oct. 18. As the Chargers' third quarterback, he never took a snap. Feeley previously played for Philadelphia and Miami, starting 13 of 18 games.

Rivers, a third-year pro, is due to make his first NFL start on Sept. 11 at Oakland. Next on the depth chart are Whitehurst, a former star at Clemson, and undrafted rookie Brett Elliott, a former backup to Alex Smith at Utah who finished his college career at Division III Linfield College.

While backing up Drew Brees the last two years, Rivers threw 30 passes, one for a touchdown. Brees hurt his right shoulder in the season finale and signed as a free agent with New Orleans.

Rivers has looked both sharp and awful in three exhibition games. He fumbled three times Saturday night against Seattle, including twice in the first four snaps. He also slightly bruised his throwing shoulder when he was sacked.

Schottenheimer said he would decide Monday night whether Rivers will play in the exhibition finale Friday night at San Francisco.

“If indeed the starters were to play, it would be a brief appearance,” said Schottenheimer, who hinted that the backup running backs could get a ton of work. LaDainian Tomlinson won't play as a precaution against injury, and even his backup, Michael Turner, could get shut down early.

Keeping Rivers healthy will be paramount for the Chargers, who are trying to get back to the playoffs for the second time in 11 seasons.

“Left tackle is generally a very important cog in that pass protection,” Schottenheimer said. “The problem for us, quite frankly is that we've got three of those guys who have been injured. We'll try to find a way to plug someone back in there. The odds-on favorite there is Cory Lekkerkerker.”

Oben was placed on the physically-unable-to-perform list. He missed the last eight games of 2005 with a foot injury that required two offseason operations.

“I was able to jog and able to do some stuff, but it just wasn't happening as fast as I would have liked,” Oben said.

Marcus McNeill, a second-round draft pick, was scheduled to start against the Seahawks but broke a bone in his left hand in practice last week. Leander Jordan, who started the last eight games last year, sustained a shoulder stinger against the Seahawks.

While on the PUP list, Oben won't be able to practice with the team until after the sixth week. He can then begin practicing anytime during a three-week window, and may practice for a maximum of three weeks before the team must either add him to the active roster or have him finish the season on the reserve list.

Schottenheimer thinks Edwards will play Friday night.

“He looked a bit rusty, but he did find one interception. I don't know if he paid somebody to throw it to him or what,” Schottenheimer joked after practice.

Edwards has been at odds with Smith over the player's request for a contract extension.

The Chargers also waived kicker Kurt Smith, a sixth-round draft choice, and offensive lineman Jimmy Martin, a seventh-rounder.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings | Team could have an interest in Feeley

"Prophet" wrote:
    I guess we're not the only people that are concerned about McMahon and O'Sullivan.

KFFL

Judd Zulgad, of the Star-Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings might have an interest in QB A.J. Feeley (Chargers). Feeley is familiar with head coach Brad Childress' system after playing in it with the Philadelphia Eagles when Childress was the offensive coordinator.

Cant be any worse than McMah0n

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

NordicNed is online now Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:

KFFL

I read that earlier at the Star-Tribune site, I just wish he had expanded on the topic though, or maybe it's just another ass white writers, dumb ass take on things.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

The second he was released and I saw it on ESPN, I knew it was only hours before thier was a rumor he was coming here.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Prophet Guest

Yeah, it's all 'could be interested' and all that.
    There will be all kinds of speculation now with all these folks hitting the wire before the deadline.

NordicNed is online now Jersey Retired

Just went back to the Star and read the clipping on it...

here it is....

Interest in Feeley?
    Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 by Judd Zulgad An interesting name hit the transaction wire last night when the San Diego Chargers released backup quarterback A.J. Feeley. Considering the fact Mike McMahon has had a poor preseason and rookie Tarvaris Jackson should be able to spend this year learning on the job and not being thrust into the starting role if something happens to Brad Johnson, Feeley’s availability should cause some interest at Winter Park.

Feeley knows the Vikings’ West Coast system very well, having played in it in Philadelphia when Brad Childress was the Eagles’ offensive coordinator. Feeley has started 13 of 18 games with the Eagles and Dolphins. The Dolphins actually had high hopes for Feeley at one time. Of course, he was cut for a reason. Feeley was outplayed by rookie Charlie Whitehurst. Philip Rivers is the Chargers’ starter.

Notice what I put in BOLD
    If you remember, I was lobbying for Whitehurst before the draft.
    Nice to see he's doing well, but I'm also very happy with what I have seen in TJ.......

I'll have to continue to follow CW and see what kind of season he has, that is if he gets some playing time....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

If we release McMahon and O'Sullivan, I wouldnt mind him coming to us. I don't think we are going to release McMahon though.

Thank you Josdin for the sig

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

KFAN radio reported that McMahon will not play in the Cowboy's game on Thursday.
    They are reporting that Childress wants to see more of JT O'sullivan.

I think that means that McMahon is gone, and that the want to make a final decission on O'sul!
    If they don't think that he can cut it then I think they will bring in Feeley.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I think that bringing in Feeley would be a solid move and a good addition for depth. Feeley is a solid 2nd string QB in the nfl in my mind. Having him at the 3rd string would be perfect. He's a former starter so we know he can step in and help somewhat if needed. GO GET HIM.

AND BRANCH.

AND EDWARDS (thats for cajun).

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

When I saw earlier that he had been released, I decided that would be one former Eagle I wouldn't mind coming to the Vikes. I remember him playing well enough to win a few games when McNabb went down a couple years back. I haven't seen anything good from McMahon or O'Sullivan that would make me say no way to Feeley, as long as Feeley still knows the system.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast