MightyVikes12391 is offline Pro-Bowler

Vikings in the Superbowl?

by: Jeremy Green
    posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007
    |
    Print Entry
    filed under: Minnesota Vikings

I am sure by writing this blog I will put the whammy on the Minnesota Vikings and their playoff chances, but I will give it a try anyways. Going into Week 15, the Vikings control their own playoff destiny. They are the winners of four straight games and might have to win their last three to get into the playoffs as the No. 6 seed in the NFC. Now, I am not a math major, but four plus three is seven, and that seven would make them one of the hottest teams in the NFL come playoff time.

By no means am I ready to compare the Vikings to the Super Bowl XL winner Pittsburgh Steelers, but I am starting to see some similarities other than the same seeding.

To continue reading this article you must be an Insider.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=nfl_nfc

*EDITED:
    Cannot post subscription based articles in length

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Vikings in the Superbowl?

This is crazy talk.

Go Vikings!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

They're ya go... he jinxed us! If we don't make it to the Super Bowl, blame this douche bag.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

While I agree that this is a pretty cool article, you can't post that much copyrighted material on this site.
    Insider could get after PP.O for it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

The Vikings are screwed and Webby is going to get sued.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    The Vikings are screwed and Webby is going to get sued.

I just have one thing to say, thats a really cool new Sig you have there BLV.....I like it

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

interesting article, but yea like they said, in the future just post the first paragraph or then the link, can't post the whole thing

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Cool article, I agree with pretty much everything he said.

I do believe we are better than the Bucs, Giants, and Seahawks.

With the way we've been playing, we're in for an interesting playoff run. Let's see how Adrian Peterson does in prime time this monday night, and if he succeeds, hopefully he goes from AD to "Big Game AD" and explodes on opposing defenses in the playoffs.

duvaldomo is offline Coach

"MightyVikes12391" wrote:
    by: Jeremy Green
    posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007
    |
    Print Entry
    filed under: Minnesota Vikings

I am sure by writing this blog I will put the whammy on the Minnesota Vikings and their playoff chances, but I will give it a try anyways. Going into Week 15, the Vikings control their own playoff destiny. They are the winners of four straight games and might have to win their last three to get into the playoffs as the No. 6 seed in the NFC. Now, I am not a math major, but four plus three is seven, and that seven would make them one of the hottest teams in the NFL come playoff time.
    By no means am I ready to compare the Vikings to the Super Bowl XL winner Pittsburgh Steelers, but I am starting to see some similarities other than the same seeding.
    Tarvaris Jackson has a QB rating of 106.4 in his last games.
    The first thing I would point to with this Vikings team is that they are No. 1 in the NFL in run offense and No. 1 in the NFL in run defense. That is usually a recipe for success in the playoffs. If nothing else it tells you that when the Vikings take the field for their first playoff game, there is a pretty darn good chance they are not going to get blown out.
    I also know that the Vikings' first-round playoff game will be in Seattle or in Tampa Bay and both teams are mediocre versus the run. Seattle is currently 14th in run defense and Tampa Bay is 15th. The Vikings have the best offensive line in the NFL and two exceptional RBs in Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor who can frustrate an opposing team. Their ability to control the ball on the ground wears down a defense and frustrates an opposing offense because you just don't get a lot of snaps when you are losing the time of possession battle.
    Then, let's say the Vikings were able to advance to the next round. I think they would have a shot against Dallas or Green Bay. Dallas beat Minnesota early in the season, but the Vikings were leading at halftime and uncharacteristically got away from Peterson in the second half, but make no mistake about it, the Vikings had the Cowboys on the ropes. And even though Green Bay has beaten Minnesota twice and whipped them in Lambeau field, this is a different Minnesota team since then. Peterson was injured in that game, and since that game second-year QB Tarvaris Jackson is starting to look like a solid NFL starting QB. Plus, Jackson also did not play in the second meeting against the Packers. Since that abysmal performance by the Vikings in Lambeau field, Jackson is healthy and carrying a QB rating of 106.4 in his last four starts, which are all Vikings wins. Over the last four weeks he has thrown four touchdowns to only two interceptions and is completing 75 percent of his passes.
    I went inside the film room this week to break down Jackson and what I saw was a QB that is playing with a lot of confidence right now. I see a QB that is more confident in his reads. In the Detroit game there were five separate occasions where he looked to his first, second and third targets before coming back to his first. That tells me he is much more comfortable reading his progressions. He is doing a much better job of either throwing the ball away or making plays with his feet. Plus, during the win streak he has been able to pick up key first downs with his feet, which gives his offense three more downs and more downs equal more touches for Peterson.
    On the defensive side of the ball, the Vikings are so good against the run, teams don't even try to run the ball, which makes their opponents one dimensional on offense. However, the Vikings defense is No. 32 in the NFL against the pass, but that ranking is a little deceiving because teams throw the ball on them more. Plus, the pass defense has been much better of late. They are getting away from the Cover 2 and playing more man coverage with blitz packages up front, which has allowed them to create more turnovers.
    I am not saying the Vikings can run the table and make it to Super Bowl XLII because that would be a tough task. What I am saying is that they will make the playoffs. They are going to get there after winning seven straight and they are going to be a bigger threat than the No. 3 Seahawks, No. 4 Buccaneers or the No. 5 Giants. Outside of the few elite teams in the NFL, there is no team in the NFL as dangerous as the 7-6 Vikings.

Music to my ears

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=nfl_nfc

MightyVikes12391 is offline Pro-Bowler

sorry wasnt aware i could post all this i just didnt kno if everyone had insider so they wouldnt be able to read it. Also I didnt write this article so ho could be jinxing the vikesI just thought it was interestin to read

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast