Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings Success Must Start With Childress

Good point Uffda

If we are talented enough we should be able to overcome and make plays on our own

I feel we can

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Purplebus" wrote:
    Not a bad write-up. Gives some perspective for those of us who recently got onboard with the Vikes.
    Don't have a huge sample to really make a opinion one way but you are starting to grow on me my friend.

Just added you to the ole spreadsheet and bumped you up a couple of columns.
    ;D

Here is another link that might be of interest.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl...a/vikings.html

Again, welcome to the site.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    Interesting read... another author that should use spell check before posting, but such is life.
    Childress has some growing to do as a coach.
    I understand his philosophy of executing to perfection before moving on but I'm still not sure I agree with it.
    As a fan I want to see wins just like most do.
    I think the whole "perfect fundamentals of football" thing is a bit amateurish for a pro sports franchise to be trying to build their team around but maybe I'm wrong.
    What I do believe for sure is that at some point he needs to start trusting his players.
    I can understand not wanting to turn the reins over to a 1st or 2nd year player but our team is now loaded with players in their 3rd year and beyond, it's time to turn them loss.
    The only thing that should be holding them back at this point is their ability and their maturity, not their coach trying to keep a safety net under them.
    If TJ throws 5 INTs because he can't execute a real game plan, fine, we now know just where TJ is.
    If Griffin (Griffith?
    Always forget!) gets burnt for 3 TDs cause he bites on double moves and can't man up, again, great, we know his limits.
    We gotta start establishing that and moving forward as a team.
    An excellent post my friend.

I for one kindof believe we started to see some of that in certain areas last year.
    Cook was left alone to block allowing Shanc to get into routes and eventually showing that he can be productive in this scheme.

Griff was used in more of a press mode rather than forcing him to give a cushion.
    Heck he even switched sides with Whinny during a few plays as he stayed with the teams best reciever.

Greenway really started to feel his oats and showed flashes of his potential.

Long story short, I really think this team started to feel its oats last year.
    I am (was until the Lord Dickhead stuff came up) looking forward to watching it finally all come together as it appears all the pieces and parts are there to make it happen with a couple of areas of concern......

DT.
    Still don't feel we have the right mix if the Williams wall is suspended for 4 games.
    QB.
    We don't need much.
    Hell we won 10 games last year.
    C.
    My guess is if Sully is the man, Hutch will help with line calls.
    If Cook is the man, we have on hell of a big OL that should be able to run with 11 men in the box.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    Interesting read... another author that should use spell check before posting, but such is life.
    I understand his philosophy of executing to perfection before moving on but I'm still not sure I agree with it.
    I think the whole "perfect fundamentals of football" thing is a bit amateurish for a pro sports franchise to be trying to build their team around but maybe I'm wrong.
    What I do believe for sure is that at some point he needs to start trusting his players.
    I can understand not wanting to turn the reins over to a 1st or 2nd year player but our team is now loaded with players in their 3rd year and beyond, it's time to turn them loss.
    The only thing that should be holding them back at this point is their ability and their maturity, not their coach trying to keep a safety net under them.
    If TJ throws 5 INTs because he can't execute a real game plan, fine, we now know just where TJ is.
    If Griffin (Griffith?
    Always forget!) gets burnt for 3 TDs cause he bites on double moves and can't man up, again, great, we know his limits.
    An excellent post My Sexy Little Pixie.

I for one kindof believe we started to see some of that in certain areas last year.
    Cook was left alone to block allowing Shanc to get into routes and eventually showing that he can be productive in this scheme.

Griff was used in more of a press mode rather than forcing him to give a cushion.
    Heck he even switched sides with Whinny during a few plays as he stayed with the teams best reciever.

I am (was until the Lord Dickhead stuff came up) looking forward to watching it finally all come together as it appears all the pieces and parts are there to make it happen with a couple of areas of concern......

DT.
    Still don't feel we have the right mix if the Williams wall is suspended for 4 games.
    QB.
    We don't need much.
    C.

If Cook is the man, we have on hell of a big OL that should be able to run with 11 men in the box.
    I always find it funny how Marrdro can always find the upside of Chiller's reign.
    Or at least convince himself that he has...

I, for one, believe that the reason Cook was left in was because we had no one better.
    That wasn't Chiller being smart, that was bowing to neccessity.

I believe that Griff being allowed to press and Greenway coming ionto his own more are a direct reflection of the DC's ability to adapt...but I doubt Chiller had much to do with it.

As to our current situation:

Yes, I agree that without the William's Wall we're in trouble there, but who didn't expect that?
    How many teams are even a strong 3 deep at DT, I certainly wouldn't expect us to be a strong 4 deep.
    Heck, most teams don't even have 2 that are as good as ours.

If the WW gets suspended, I think we'll take a knock, but our D will still be a tough one to crack.
    Mostly because the other 9 guys are pretty darn good too.
    Then, once the WW comes back, they will crush people again.

The question will be the Offense.

And that takes us to the O Line.
    I hope Cook can transition back to C without too much fuss, because I really like our line if he does.
    We'll have the "potential" to be solid on both sides for the first time in what seems like forever.
    And if that pans out, it can only help whichever of the QB's is under center.

And on that note. I'm still not all that fired up on our QB's... I am leaning towards Sage only because I haven't seen him yet, and I don't believe it takes a very good QB to match what Jackson has shown to date.

I'm just wondering when teh KAO will actually BE a KAO.

Caine

"Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    If Griffin (Griffith?
    An excellent post My Sexy Little Pixie.

DT.
    QB.
    We don't need much.
    C.

I always find it funny how Marrdro can always find the upside of Chiller's reign.
    Or at least convince himself that he has...
    Convince maybe.
    Lets not forget, I gave up on the Chiller about week 5 last year and wouldn't be to all upset if they brought in someone else today, as long as he stayed with the offensive and defensive schemes.

I would hate to see them start all over again.
    Lets not forget, HC's, regardless of thier stature, will come in and remake the team if they feel it doesn't fit/meet thier scheme.

I, for one, believe that the reason Cook was left in was because we had no one better.
    That wasn't Chiller being smart, that was bowing to neccessity.
    I agree.
    In fact I think you will find that my stance on young Cook has always been, why pick on him.
    Isn't his fault there wasn't a better option on the roster.

I believe that Griff being allowed to press and Greenway coming ionto his own more are a direct reflection of the DC's ability to adapt...but I doubt Chiller had much to do with it.
    Not sure if I agree with that statement 100% though.
    Lets not forget, the D-coord runs the scheme but it is at the HC's discretion what scheme and what gameplan is put in for the year and week to week.

Seriously, you don't believe our D-coord does his job in a vacumn do you without any input from the HC?

As to our current situation:

Yes, I agree that without the William's Wall we're in trouble there, but who didn't expect that?
    How many teams are even a strong 3 deep at DT, I certainly wouldn't expect us to be a strong 4 deep.
    Heck, most teams don't even have 2 that are as good as ours.

If the WW gets suspended, I think we'll take a knock, but our D will still be a tough one to crack.
    Mostly because the other 9 guys are pretty darn good too.
    Then, once the WW comes back, they will crush people again.
    My worries aren't the quality but rather the quantity.

Take 2 players out of the rotation and you start wearing whats left down.
    Heck, even if they do go ahead and rotate DE's in to take up the slack, those guys will be seeing more reps.
    In the end, towards the end of the year we could see an issue with respect to injuries/stamina.

Course the Wall could take extra reps when they get back and give the other boys a break.
    ;D

The question will be the Offense.
    Isn't it always the question?

And that takes us to the O Line.
    I hope Cook can transition back to C without too much fuss, because I really like our line if he does.
    We'll have the "potential" to be solid on both sides for the first time in what seems like forever.
    And if that pans out, it can only help whichever of the QB's is under center.
    I will readily admit I believe a 6'6" Center is to tall.
    Rationale is mostly based on the passing scheme and what he would/could do with respect to passing lanes.

I have since revisited the whole OL and seem to be leaning towards the idea that this staff wants to get bigger all the way across to support the run and really isn't focused that much on the pass.

Again, the drafted a cat to play RT, even though he struggled with Edge Rushers.
    Seems the selling point on him is not his pass protection skills but rather how good he is in the run blocking scheme.

Kindof throws the whole, pass against 8 in the box, rationale out the window if I am right and they are thinking, get bigger on the OL to negate 8 in the box.

Make em put 9 or 10 and then we can pass it.

And on that note. I'm still not all that fired up on our QB's... I am leaning towards Sage only because I haven't seen him yet, and I don't believe it takes a very good QB to match what Jackson has shown to date.
    Not sold on them either.
    (Back to convincing)
    I am almost of a mind that if we won 10 games with Gus and TJ we should be able to at least mach that this year.
    I still hold out hope that TJ will take that next step cause if he doesn't, I don't see a solution walking around in FA, unless the Colts and Manning split (Hope Hope).

I'm just wondering when teh KAO will actually BE a KAO.

Caine
    This year my friend.
    This year.
    Convinced yet?
    I almost am.
    ;D ;D ;D

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Convince maybe.
    Lets not forget, I gave up on the Chiller about week 5 last year and wouldn't be to all upset if they brought in someone else today, as long as he stayed with the offensive and defensive schemes.

Lets not forget, HC's, regardless of thier stature, will come in and remake the team if they feel it doesn't fit/meet thier scheme.
    Once we sign Favre, he will convince the Walrus to come out of retirement.

You might get your wish yet for a new coach.

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Convince maybe.

I am onboard with the Walrus as GM and Chucky as the HC.
    Both are WCO/Cover 2 kindof guys.
    By the by, can't remember, was it you who put that thought in my head in another thread?
    ;D

vikeme28 is offline Waterboy

I believe that it does start with the coach growing a set and setting the president.
    But the players have to believe in the coach(s) and the system.
    Coaches can not set any double standards with the players.
    http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww161/vikingsfanatic94/JarAllFinalWallp-1.jpg?t=1243564222

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Convince maybe.

By the by, can't remember, was it you who put that thought in my head in another thread?

;D
    Let him convince Mooch to come out of coaching retirement too.

Walrus
    Chucky
    Mooch

The old green and gold in Purple..... wouldn't that cause an uproar or is it just Favre that causes the uproar.

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Convince maybe.

;D
    Let him convince Mooch to come out of coaching retirement too.

Walrus
    Chucky
    Mooch

The old green and gold in Purple..... wouldn't that cause an uproar or is it just Favre that causes the uproar.

Damn, now you just ruined it for me.

;D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast