Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings: Success looks all lined up

[size=18px]Success looks all lined up[/size]

The Vikings appear to have all the ingredients for a powerful offensive line. What's left now is for the coaches to make sure they pull together as a unit.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: August 03, 2006 – 12:25 AM

MANKATO -- It makes sense. You sign arguably the NFL's best interior lineman, a 28-year-old monster who should be entering his prime. You celebrate the healthy return of your Pro Bowl center, point out your fast-improving left tackle and -- voila! -- you have a first-class offensive line.
    So goes the fashionable observation of the Vikings this summer, thanks to the arrival of left guard Steve Hutchinson, the returning presence of center Matt Birk and the high expectations for left tackle Bryant McKinnie. Steady veteran Artis Hicks has been penciled in at right guard, and second-year player Marcus Johnson seems locked into the right tackle position.

"If you look at it," McKinnie said, "we have the ability to be one of the top three lines in the league."

Talent-wise, McKinnie's analysis might be accurate. But on the second day of full-pads practices Wednesday, the Vikings acknowledged their on-field development has been a work in progress.

None of the five starters have played next to each other in so much as a scrimmage, let alone a game. Only Hicks is familiar with coach Brad Childress' offense, dating to the time they spent with the Philadelphia Eagles. Hicks, however, has joined the rest of his teammates in learning the new blocking scheme Childress implemented to accommodate line coach Pat Morris' philosophies.

"Most of the plays in this league are the same," Hicks said. "But you can block them different ways, and that's what they've done here. [Childress] has allowed coach Morris to bring his own blocking scheme in, and they've applied it to the same plays we were running in Philadelphia. So it takes a little getting used to."

That challenge was evident during Wednesday's afternoon practice, when defensive tackle Kevin Williams charged through the center of the line untouched on consecutive plays during a blocking drill. Practice observers, in fact, got a good view of the line's potential -- as well as its current reality -- during a three-play goal-line drill against the No. 1 defense.

On the first play, Hutchinson helped sell a play-action fake with a strong down-block on Williams. Quarterback Brad Johnson completed the pass to tight end Jim Kleinsasser in the end zone.

Next, Williams disrupted a running play to the left side by hurdling Hutchinson, who tried to cut-block him. Williams missed the tackle on running back Chester Taylor, but linebacker E.J. Henderson swooped in to make the tackle for a loss of yardage.

On the final play, fullback Tony Richardson found a crease between Hutchinson and McKinnie and barreled into the end zone.

"It always takes the offensive line a little longer to come together than some of the other positions," Hicks said. "Because if one guy is not on the same page, it can be a busted play. It's a machine run by five different parts. It's still early, but I think we're coming along pretty good."

Their progress has been aided by having two full-time line coaches in Morris and assistant line coach Pat Hueber. Typically, the pair has split up the team's 15 linemen into two groups to maximize individual instruction time.

"That definitely helps," Birk said. "You only have so much practice time, so that way you can kind of double what you're doing in the drills and get another set of eyes to help correct things on the field."

Much of the responsibility for producing a dominant line has fallen to Birk, who missed all of last season because of injuries and is working to remove the rust. Birk said he has practiced pain-free thus far but that "I think sometimes people give me too much credit.

"This is the ultimate team game," Birk added. "What I do on my own isn't going to matter as much. ... We have some talent up front as far as some individuals. But a group of good individual linemen doesn't matter. It's how you work together. We're still in that jelling phase."LINE IN TRANSITION

A look at the changes on the Vikings offensive line, from the 2005 season opener until now:

LEFT TACKLE

2006 starter:

Bryant McKinnie

2005 starter: McKinnie

• The only unchanged position; 2002 first-rounder has started every game the past three seasons.

LEFT GUARD

2006 starter:

Steve Hutchinson

2005 starter:

Chris Liwienski

• Hutchinson was the team's most important offseason acquisition; Liwienski moves to the bench.

CENTER

2006 starter:

Matt Birk

2005 starter:

Cory Withrow

• Birk tries to recover from sports hernia injury; Withrow no longer on the roster.

RIGHT GUARD

2006 starter:

Artis Hicks

2005 starter:

Marcus Johnson

• Hicks was immediately named the starter after being acquired from the Eagles.

RIGHT TACKLE

2006 starter:

Marcus Johnson

2005 starter:

Mike Rosenthal

• Rosenthal becomes a backup as Johnson moves to tackle.

Success looks all lined up

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings: Success looks all lined up

i can't take anymore of this!!! on paper we look dominating.. now lets get some teams infront of us and lets DOMINATE THEM!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

So....we're good, but we might suck? We've improved greatly, but it might not matter? :scratch:

This season is confusing!

I pretty much agree with that article. We look to have the best offensive line in the league, but it has to work on the field, and it might not.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Good article.The line has all the potential in the world, at worst its average, and at best...well its the best! That left side is fierce,Chester and MeMo should have happy days running behind it.I think MJ is gona surprise alot of people this year with his skills.I think hes the perfect fit, with his long arms.Just like McKinne.Anyways time will tell how great they truly are.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    So....we're good, but we might suck? We've improved greatly, but it might not matter? :scratch:

This season is confusing!
    It's just the good ol' fashion way of covering your ass. If we suck this year he can say "Told you it might not work." If we're great, "Told you they had so much talent" Either way, the sports reporter is right. But in a way you have to agree with him. We won't know anything until the season starts up.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Me need football...football now...eh eh football please! IM LOSING MY MIND!

Prophet Guest

"nephilimstorm" wrote:
    Me need football...football now...eh eh football please! IM LOSING MY MIND!
    You do look a little pale.

IdaVike_Cheese-Hater is offline Training Camp

"and they've applied it to the same plays we were running in Philadelphia"

Huh?

So Childress just packed up the Philly playbook and stuck a vikings helmet on it!? Gee...thanks Andy!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

idk man, this season is wierd for sure, and its hard to rate our offensive line during some of the practices.. the goal line standoff they talked about the defensive coaches stressed "DONT BUDGE AN INCH", and on a few plays they didnt, other ones the offensive line shoved them around.. it was basically a stalemate

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast