Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Vikings Stadium Struggle History

An interesting read:

Vikings stadium: Is the team's long wait nearing an end? - TwinCities.com

"A review of more than a decade of past stadium pushes suggest the NFL team faces a tough road. But there is also some hope in the history of stadiums in Minnesota. "

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Please get this stadium done! I don't want to lose the vikes!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    It's nearing an end, but not the end most here want to see....

Hennepin County nixes ballpark tax revenue to backstop Vikings stadium
    Hennepin County nixes ballpark tax revenue to backstop Vikings stadium | StarTribune.com

Minn. House committee votes down Vikings proposal, major setback to teamís stadium bid
    Minn. House committee votes down Vikings proposal, major setback to team’s stadium bid - The Washington Post

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

da_scrum is offline Waterboy
    Mr. Wilf,

sioux falls would make a better home for the vikings!!!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    The Vikings really need to get out of that state. It's clear that the leadership is not looking out for the best interest of the people in any way shape or form... if they were, they would have probably given more attention to maintaining infrastructure and prevented the death of 13 people (I-35).

Now, these same people are taking away a state institution and economic opportunity. Personally, I'd rather see the Vikings move than see a stadium deal go through and let these spineless cowards take credit for anything. Minnesota went off the rails when Michelle Bachmann was voted into office (... or maybe is was Jesse Ventura).

It's really too bad, MN used to be viewed as such a progressive state, now documentaries (Jesus Camp) and politicians are proving what a wacko state it has become.

Glad I live in NYC, where they recognize the importants of professional sports teams... oh, and built 3 stadiums in a year.
    Last edited by C Mac D; 04-17-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by da_scrum View Post
    Mr. Wilf,

sioux falls would make a better home for the vikings!!!

Welcome, da scrum! Make a post over in the Free Beer forum to introduce yourself!

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    The Vikings really need to get out of that state. It's clear that the leadership is not looking out for the best interest of the people in any way shape or form... if they were, they would have probably given more attention to maintaining infrastructure and prevented the death of 13 people (I-35).

Now, these same people are taking away a state institution and economic opportunity. Personally, I'd rather see the Vikings move than see a stadium deal go through and let these spineless cowards take credit for anything. Minnesota went off the rails when Michelle Bachmann was voted into office (... or maybe is was Jesse Ventura).

It's really too bad, MN used to be viewed as such a progressive state, now documentaries (Jesus Camp) and politicians are proving what a wacko state it has become.

Glad I live in NYC, where they recognize the importants of professional sports teams... oh, and built 3 stadiums in a year.
    Pawlenty was no prize either!!!...

Wilf HAS to threaten to move the team.. and if it comes down to it make good on his threat... It's the only way they are going to get any leverage to force the state to do the right thing....

On the other hand Wif is doing a pretty shitty job of telling the people why the state should help pay for the stadium... if you want a bill passes, you have to convince the masses that it's a good thing for them... with the 99% vs 1% talk nowadays... they need to make their point:

I am paying for half this stadium even though I will use it 10 days out of the year....

Minnesota will get a SuperBowl, NCAA tournament and other events for the state the other 355 days out of the year

The tourism, businesses, etc. will help the local economy and businesses and bring in even more money to the state...

So STFU and vote for the damn thing!!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    Pawlenty was no prize either!!!...

Wilf HAS to threaten to move the team.. and if it comes down to it make good on his threat... It's the only way they are going to get any leverage to force the state to do the right thing....

On the other hand Wif is doing a pretty shitty job of telling the people why the state should help pay for the stadium... if you want a bill passes, you have to convince the masses that it's a good thing for them... with the 99% vs 1% talk nowadays... they need to make their point:

I am paying for half this stadium even though I will use it 10 days out of the year....

Minnesota will get a SuperBowl, NCAA tournament and other events for the state the other 355 days out of the year

The tourism, businesses, etc. will help the local economy and businesses and bring in even more money to the state...

So STFU and vote for the damn thing!!
    Agreed!

My rant was a bit harsh, but I came into work and read that story... got pretty fired up about it.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Agreed!

My rant was a bit harsh, but I came into work and read that story... got pretty fired up about it.
    I forgot to mention as well, the taxes they pay the state on the stadium plus player salaries, the state makes a windfall and would pay for itself in no time!!... What a crock!!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    I forgot to mention as well, the taxes they pay the state on the stadium plus player salaries, the state makes a windfall and would pay for itself in no time!!... What a crock!!
    Actually, no it doesn't. The direct tax revenue is right about $20 million, which would pay for the state contribution over about 20 years. However, there is opportunity cost with that $20 million that will never be recouped. The real benefit lies in with the jobs created, the economic impact of hosted events like the Superbowl and NCAA Final Four, and the intangible benefits like quality of life.

I am a huge stadium supporter, but we need to deal with straight facts, not propaganda. The economics of it are sound - but let's not make them into something they are not.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast