Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Formo View Post

You know why the Packers fanbase is so raucous, so energetic, and so flamingly annoying all the damn time? It's because of the culture they have there, which includes the fact that they RELISH the outdoors and are not afraid to brave any sort of elements to support their team.
    The Vikings have a raucous & energetic fan base as well. I don't believe for 1 minute that they relish the outdoors any more than Minnesotans do. I also believe they have more fans that you call "fairweather" fans (climate wise) than we do. A sellout only means a certain number of tickets were sold & doesn't necessarily reflect actual attendance.

Yes, they fill their stadium every weekend & have a waiting list for season tickets. Why do you suppose that is? Quite simply because they have a lot bigger fan base than we do & they've been a franchise since 1919. They do have more loyal fans that stick with the team thru good seasons & bad. Of course winning the first two Super Bowls & having Favre on the team for 20 years happens to help that cause. The population of WI is also larger than the population of MN.

Additionally, the Vikings have only been a franchise since 1961. Like it or not, prior to 1961 most Minnesotans were either Packer or Bears fans & there are a lot of them who remained loyal to the Packers after 1961 & passed it on to the next generation(s). That also holds true for a lot of people in N & S Dakota as well as Iowa.

When their fan base is vastly larger than ours, it's not difficult to understand why they have no problem selling out. Plus it's a publicly owned team & because of it many Packer fans feel they are really part owners of the team.

Lets also not forget that ticket prices in the dome are much higher than Lambeau. Last year the seats between the 20's cost $87 for a Packers game compared to $128 for the Vikings seats.
    Last edited by singersp; 05-20-2012 at 11:55 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Why is nobody considering the potential to have it selectively closed? If it's light snow, and not terribly cold, there shouldn't be a problem with leaving it open occasionally. Once or twice a year isn't going to kill anybody. If you can't take your kid to that game, there are plenty of others where the weather will be warmer, or where the roof would be closed. If that's the only game you can take your kid to, well, I'm sure the both of you will get over it. Catch a game next year.
    That's what we're debating about. I'd rather have it retractable for more than 1 or 2 games & only close it for those games when it's either pouring rain or really freezing cold.

There are those here though that want an open air stadium, not a retractable roof nor a fixed roof and are calling those that prefer either of the latter two options as "the wrong kind of fans".

Ranger is offline Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    That's what we're debating about. I'd rather have it retractable for more than 1 or 2 games & only close it for those games when it's either pouring rain or really freezing cold.

There are those here though that want an open air stadium, not a retractable roof nor a fixed roof and are calling those that prefer either of the latter two options as "the wrong kind of fans".
    Ridiculous argument, then. Going inside when it's miserable doesn't make you weak, it makes you intelligent...well, at least more intelligent.

Do you really think it's that unusual for people to be in freezing temperatures of three hours?
    Not at all. It depends on what your doing & how active you are. I've sat that long many of times when ice fishing or deer hunting.

We aren't talking about usual or unusual. We are talking about preference.

Do you find it unusual for people to sit indoors when it's freezing or raining outside?

Do you consider true fans to only include those fans who sit in freezing temperatures or pouring rain? You & I don't, but some here do.

Is a person who doesn't want to endanger his family by driving 1-2 hours in a snow storm with hazardous road conditions any less of a fan than one that braves the drive and goes to the game & sits outside? You & I don't, but there are some here that do.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    Why is nobody considering the potential to have it selectively closed? If it's light snow, and not terribly cold, there shouldn't be a problem with leaving it open occasionally. Once or twice a year isn't going to kill anybody. If you can't take your kid to that game, there are plenty of others where the weather will be warmer, or where the roof would be closed. If that's the only game you can take your kid to, well, I'm sure the both of you will get over it. Catch a game next year.
    There are some rules regarding retractable roof stadiums. Not quite what I thought they were, as I thought the NFL had the final say on all games, but it looks just like it is playoff games.

Scout.com: NFL retractible roof rules -

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    I drive about 3.5 hours to attend the games, and I am not going to lie. I want to be comfortable. With the fan experience what it is at home with big HDTV, sorround sound home theaters, etc, etc, etc, I think some people will not take in late season games if they have to sit in a blizzard.

Does that make my opinion right or wrong? Nope, just an opinion, like everyone else here has. I would love a retractable roof, and being able to enjoy a nice fall day of football, but when they cold weather really starts moving in, I would close the thing up and enjoy the indoors just as much.

I personally do not think the retractable roof is worth the added expense, but I would love to have it. There are some beautiful fall days we could be enjoying during those football games.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    Yeah, but it was warm in Vietnam, so that doesn't count as manly.
    LMAO.

Well played.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345