Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings stadium needs fresh air

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    That is how I feel but good luck with that.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Great quote... something that I keep trying to tell people.

The Minnesota Vikings’ home-field superiority at the open-air Metropolitan Stadium versus the hermetically sealed Metrodome is a myth.

The Vikings played 21 seasons at the Old Met and were 97-59-4 there, achieving a .606 winning percentage.

However, during the 30 seasons Minnesota has played inside the Metrodome they are 157-88 (including last year’s dreadful 1-7 home mark) for a .641 winning percentage.
    This part however, I disagree with:
    With the exception of non-football events that will be held at the new stadium — tractor pulls, the inevitable Nickelback concert, the World Sumo Wrestling Championships — or extremely inclement weather — softball-sized hail, a funnel cloud hovering above the field, fire and brimstone pelting the Twin Cities — that roof should never be closed.

Minnesotans pride themselves on being weather-tough. They shovel snow all day and wear the chore like a merit badge. They play all sorts of winter sports in myriad conditions and chuckle at the thought of a “snow day” for their school-aged children. So why pack those hearty Minnesotans into a dome-sealed arena if the weather’s a bit chilly?
    What many people forget is that the Vikings struggled to fill the much smaller Old Met on cold days. And that was when we had perennial super bowl teams. Yes, the game has gotten much bigger since then. But we also have HDTV and internet streams that make the home viewing experience much better than it was in those days as well.

If we get a retractable roof, I am all for keeping it open when the weather is above freezing. But if it drops below 32, or if it is raining, the Vikings will start seeing attendance drop - especially if we are having a losing season. I've sat in stadiums during a light constant rain when the temperature was above 50. It sucked. Close the roof baby!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Another stupid macho article by some one that will be sitting in the heated press box.

WWBGD

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    Another stupid macho article by some one that will be sitting in the heated press box.
    I hate Lubbers, he always comes up with the stupidest articles up here in our crappy Duluth News Tribune. Not to mention he is a packer fan

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Great quote... something that I keep trying to tell people.

This part however, I disagree with:

What many people forget is that the Vikings struggled to fill the much smaller Old Met on cold days. And that was when we had perennial super bowl teams. Yes, the game has gotten much bigger since then. But we also have HDTV and internet streams that make the home viewing experience much better than it was in those days as well.

If we get a retractable roof, I am all for keeping it open when the weather is above freezing. But if it drops below 32, or if it is raining, the Vikings will start seeing attendance drop - especially if we are having a losing season. I've sat in stadiums during a light constant rain when the temperature was above 50. It sucked. Close the roof baby!

I am too lazy to look it up, but I have always wondered what the comparison is between NFC championship game winning percentage in the Met Vs the dome and also playoff victory % between the two. I imagine they are both higher in the dome too.

If it is too cold to watch football outside for the fans then maybe we either have the wrong fans or don't deserve a team.

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator
    Minnesota Vikings Championship History

Listed below is the Championship History of the Minnesota Vikings.

Minnesota Vikings Championship History
    Post Season Play Championships
    League Championships 1 - 1969 (NFL)
    Conference Championships 4 - 1969 (WFC), 1973 (NFC), 1974 (NFC), 1976 (NFC)
    Division Championships 16 - 1968 (NFL Central), 1969 (NFL Central), 1970 (NFC Central), 1971 (NFC Central), 1973 (NFC Central), 1974 (NFC Central), 1975 (NFC Central), 1976 (NFC Central), 1977 (NFC Central), 1978 (NFC Central), 1980 (NFC Central), 1989 (NFC Central), 1992 (NFC Central), 1994 (NFC Central), 1998 (NFC Central), 2000 (NFC Central)
    Playoff Appearances 24 - 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2004

Not a higher championship percentage in the dome. Vikes had some great teams late late 60's to late 70's . I miss those days.
    Last edited by x-ray jeff; 05-17-2012 at 09:12 PM.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    If it is too cold to watch football outside for the fans then maybe we either have the wrong fans or don't deserve a team.
    Really?

You mean a man who doesn't want to take his kids to the game because he doesn't want his kids to sit in the pouring rain or the freezing cold is the wrong kind of fan?

You mean a man who has watched the Vikings all his life & has been a season ticket holder for decades, who now is older & can't take the cold the way he used to & won't sit out in the freezing rain is the wrong kind of fan?

When is the last time, if ever, you sat out in freezing temps for 3 hours straight?
    Last edited by singersp; 05-18-2012 at 04:11 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Formo is offline Team Alumni
    We, as attendees of Viking games, shouldn't care that much about the Vikings total attendance numbers, if they sold out, etc.

Prissy boy, stay home!! =P
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Formo is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Really?

You mean a man who doesn't want to take his kids to the game because he doesn't want his kids to sit in the pouring rain or the freezing cold is the wrong kind of fan?
    Yeah. Probably. That comment, right there, is why we get labeled as fairweather fans. Read those last two words again.. Fairweather fans. Fans that only stick around when 'weather' (actual or metaphorical) is fair, or good. Hmmmm...

You mean a man who has watched the Vikings all his life & has been a season ticket holder for decades, who now is older & can't take the cold the way he used to & won't sit out in the freezing rain is the wrong kind of fan?
    Time to hang 'em up, old man. Let some of the younger, more raucous fans enjoy the atmosphere.

When is the last time, if ever, you sat out in freezing temps for 3 hours straight?
    Me personally? Plenty. It's called being dressed appropriately. Handwarmers. Thermos of coffee. Gloves. Hats. You know, stuff we Minnesotans wear when we are outside snowmobiling, snowblowing, etc in the middle of January.

What some of you are forgetting is that there's only a few games per year that would qualify as 'cold'. And if we get a retractable roof, don't be surprised if they opt to use it. You are probably moaning about nothing.
    Last edited by Formo; 05-18-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast