Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Vikings stadium mess: A sign of things to come?

So they projected 35 million and only got 1.7 million dollars? That's not that bad really.

The two best ways to close this gap would be to just pull the rest out of the general fund since the team is a cash cow for the state anyway or put up one way toll bridges and tax the sconnies who come across the border to work in a state with better jobs and better pay. All the way from Winona to Duluth.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    So they projected 35 million and only got 1.7 million dollars? That's not that bad really.

The two best ways to close this gap would be to just pull the rest out of the general fund since the team is a cash cow for the state anyway or put up one way toll bridges and tax the sconnies who come across the border to work in a state with better jobs and better pay. All the way from Winona to Duluth.

I think the option of Vikings license plates would be the way to go. They would generate a lot of money off that, plus I believe the renewal each year is apart of that fee the state gets to use towards their share of the new stadium. Thus, they will be bringing in money long after the stadium is paid in full.

Blog Entries
    I doubt the license plates would generate much revenue for the stadium. Look, I know it works in Wisconsin but face it- You could spray paint this mornings dump with green and gold paint and some Packers fan would buy it. The vikings fans are more close to the vest overall and while some people will certainly fill up six pages of a thread debating the stripes on a jersey collar, there just isn't the overall volume of demand from Vikings fans for the plate thing to make sense.

I doubt the license plates would generate much revenue for the stadium. Look, I know it works in Wisconsin but face it- You could spray paint this mornings dump with green and gold paint and some Packers fan would buy it. The vikings fans are more close to the vest overall and while some people will certainly fill up six pages of a thread debating the stripes on a jersey collar, there just isn't the overall volume of demand from Vikings fans for the plate thing to make sense.
    It works for the Brewers as well, and the Brewers aren't nearly as over here in Wisconsin as the Packers are. Remember, fans of Wisconsin teams only like the teams that are winning.

Blog Entries
    It still wouldn't work here. Just a different culture. I understand what you are getting at but it's just not the same.

Blog Entries
    The Atlanta deal:
    Y! SPORTS
    But if the city of Atlanta doesn't necessarily need a new dome, at least it won't be paying the entire bill for its billion-plus-dollar construction. The Georgia World Congress Center Authority, which will own and manage the new dome, has arranged a deal wherein the Falcons will pay 70 percent of the cost, with the remainder being raised by a hotel-motel tax on out-of-towners. It's a solution that keeps the majority of the weight of the stadium's financing off the backs of the public, one which the citizens of Miami would envy.Thing is, the Falcons won't be paying 70 percent of the cost without expecting a return on its investment, meaning that Falcons fans can expect to pay more for everything from concessions to parking to those lovely Personal Seat Licenses that force fans to demonstrate their loyalty with check after high-figure check. And you could argue that the $300 million the city of Atlanta will spend, via tax revenue, on the new dome could be better spent pretty much anywhere else, but social concerns are no match for the NFL.
    Bottom line, as these deals go, this is a reasonable one for the city of Atlanta, which stood to lose the Falcons to a northern suburb if it didn't make this move. And the Falcons will be obligated to the new facility for another 30 years past 2017. Any bets on if they'll still be in that facility come 2047? Didn't think so.

It still wouldn't work here. Just a different culture. I understand what you are getting at but it's just not the same.
    I hear ya.

Can't wait to see what its going to look like.

Vikings will unveil new stadium design next month | ProFootballTalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123