Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings stadium mess: A sign of things to come?

Vikings stadium mess: A sign of things to come? | StarTribune.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    MOre of an anti-Dayton article than anything substantial on the stadium. In fact, there wasn't a single piece of new information about the stadium in there. He didn't mentions that the stadium funding was brought up in committee this week, nor did he mention the fact that stadium expenses have so far been 100% covered by the Vikings initial $50 million down payment. But he DID talk about Dayton's future health care plans.

Despite the title, this is not an article about the Vikings or the stadium. It doesn't need to be posted here. JMHO
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The old PF would have read that article and said DUH.

The new and improved yes man type PF says everything will be fine and the guys doing this do it for a living so they must know more about it than the average rube. There will be more than enough money in no time at all and then they will have to invent new ways to spend it all.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    The old PF would have read that article and said DUH.

The new and improved yes man type PF says everything will be fine and the guys doing this do it for a living so they must know more about it than the average rube. There will be more than enough money in no time at all and then they will have to invent new ways to spend it all.
    lol, I don't think the old or new PF read that article. It had ZERO substance about the stadium outside a line or two from previous reports.

As for the stadium "mess", I don't think very many people expected the pull tabs to completely cover the stadium expense. Most expected them to do better than they are though. Still, I laugh at some of the articles that are being put out there with half-facts and misinformation.

1) The pull tabs were never expected to have an annual revenue of $34 million. They were expected to have an average annual revenue of $34 million over 30 years. Every model expected them to start slow and gain revenue through both increased sales and inflation, although I think estimates for year 1 were closer to the $8-9 million mark. So they are still significantly short. Every time someone comes in and says something like "The revenue from electronic pull tabs is $32.3 million short..." it tells me right away that they didn't bother actually researching the issue and are just rehashing what they heard elsewhere.

2) The pull tabs are set up pretty poorly anyway, which I think is causing the poor adoption. Paper pull tabs have much better odds for the small prizes. Plus, you cannot look into a big bucket and estimate your odds at any of the remaining prizes based on the number of tabs left. There is no visible "bucket" for electronic pull tabs. Finally, people like the feel of pulling open paper tabs. All of these things doomed the electronic pull tabs almost from the start.

3) Most people - not all, but most - realized from the start that the pull tabs wouldn't cover it. That is why there were "blink on" financing options included in the bill, including a sports themed lottery and a 10% tax of luxury seats. There were a lot more blink on financing options included in the original bill, but many of them got cut in committee. Including the smartest one, a tax on hotels and rental cars.

The sky is not falling, despite what some columnists who are too lazy to do any real legwork might think...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    This is just a hit piece. It's about Dayton, not the Vikings.

Jeff Johnson, of Plymouth, is a member of the Hennepin County Board and is Minnesota’s Republican National Committeeman.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    lol, I don't think the old or new PF read that article. It had ZERO substance about the stadium outside a line or two from previous reports.

As for the stadium "mess", I don't think very many people expected the pull tabs to completely cover the stadium expense. Most expected them to do better than they are though. Still, I laugh at some of the articles that are being put out there with half-facts and misinformation.

1) The pull tabs were never expected to have an annual revenue of $34 million. They were expected to have an average annual revenue of $34 million over 30 years. Every model expected them to start slow and gain revenue through both increased sales and inflation, although I think estimates for year 1 were closer to the $8-9 million mark. So they are still significantly short. Every time someone comes in and says something like "The revenue from electronic pull tabs is $32.3 million short..." it tells me right away that they didn't bother actually researching the issue and are just rehashing what they heard elsewhere.

2) The pull tabs are set up pretty poorly anyway, which I think is causing the poor adoption. Paper pull tabs have much better odds for the small prizes. Plus, you cannot look into a big bucket and estimate your odds at any of the remaining prizes based on the number of tabs left. There is no visible "bucket" for electronic pull tabs. Finally, people like the feel of pulling open paper tabs. All of these things doomed the electronic pull tabs almost from the start.

3) Most people - not all, but most - realized from the start that the pull tabs wouldn't cover it. That is why there were "blink on" financing options included in the bill, including a sports themed lottery and a 10% tax of luxury seats. There were a lot more blink on financing options included in the original bill, but many of them got cut in committee. Including the smartest one, a tax on hotels and rental cars.

The sky is not falling, despite what some columnists who are too lazy to do any real legwork might think...

Nope, not going to do it. I did read the article but the new PF is going to toe the company line. It's all good.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Nobody will ever be happy about the new stadium, stories bashing it will come up long after the thing is built and played in for many years.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Jeff Johnson, of Plymouth, is a member of the Hennepin County Board and is Minnesota’s Republican National Committeeman.
    An RNC article; who would have known?

In any case, pull tabs were a bad idea. Gambling for revenue, in general, is a bad idea. Did anyone actually think that would work? It is laughable.

If the author doesn't like the idea of a "state-run health insurance exchange" then perhaps he should have supported cutting out the middle man completely like all other modern industrialized countries do. Not to worry, the huge hospital chains are going to muscle out the insurance companies in the next decade anyway, but that will be no better for taxpayers, businesses, and individuals, as it will create healthcare trusts.

If this was posted in another area, I could elaborate, but not in here.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I am so glad that I don't live in Minnesota and have to deal with stupid political bullshit. As much as I hate the Packers, they do it right here in Green Bay when it comes to the stadium. The tax that was installed to pay for the renovations worked out well for the people here even though some balked at it. They also sell Packers "stock" to help pay for renovations, and that is the money they are using for this next project they are about to start. They have a beautiful stadium to show for it, and it is very fan friendly as far as how it is set up, and tailgating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast