singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings: Some square pegs have fit in, some not

[size=13pt]Vikings Insider: Some square pegs have fit in, some not[/size]

The offensive line and the punter have adjusted to Brad Childress' system, but not Darren Sharper.

By Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: November 24, 2007 – 2:10 PM

One of the most consistent criticisms of coach Brad Childress' regime have been attempts to shoehorn players into specific schemes, remaining rigid even if it appeared their skill sets didn't match the requirements. Midway through Childress' second season, it is safe to say the fittest have survived while others still are trying to squeeze into that round hole.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings: Some square pegs have fit in, some not

Good article singer thanks. Coaches must see something in some off these guys, to make them fit our scheme. Players like Sharper, and Winfield do better in a more aggressive style defense. Winfield fits our defense with his physical play, but by making Sharper play deep, it takes his ability to read the QB's eyes away from him, that's why he has been late to the ball.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"PurpleTide" wrote:
    Good article singer thanks. Coaches must see something in some off these guys, to make them fit our scheme. Players like Sharper, and Winfield do better in a more aggressive style defense. Winfield fits our defense with his physical play, but by making Sharper play deep, it takes his ability to read the QB's eyes away from him, that's why he has been late to the ball.
    Which is why I've said to adjust the scheme slightly to best use the talents od the people you have. If you want something different, then you must go after players that excel in the scheme you want. In the meantime, look for what your players do best & tweak the schemes/calls to cater to that.

I don't think you need to abandon the scheme to accomplish that. Not every player will be able to adjust & play at the same level they have played at.

Not using Wiggins last year to his potential is one example, not letting the DB's/safeties have a little more freedom another & not using T-Wills speeed & hitting him in full stride across the middle with short & medium passes, IMO, another.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:
    Which is why I've said to adjust the scheme slightly to best use the talents od the people you have. If you want something different, then you must go after players that excel in the scheme you want. In the meantime, look for what your players do best & tweak the schemes/calls to cater to that.

I don't think you need to abandon the scheme to accomplish that. Not every player will be able to adjust & play at the same level they have played at.

Not using Wiggins last year to his potential is one example, not letting the DB's/safeties have a little more freedom another & not using T-Wills speeed & hitting him in full stride across the middle with short & medium passes, IMO, another.
    Exactly my thoughts.

That being said it seems they have been doing better with tailoring the game to AP's strengths until he got hurt. Today will be a good test for both the offense and defense as they go against a team who is strongest where we are the weakest.

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Win the rest and they're in.

Go Vikings!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

AHEM...... ;D

They fit the scheme or the staff wouldn't have them on the team.
    If they don't fit the scheme then they will find employment elsewere in a scheme that fits them.

Sure we have a few guys that aren't quiet perfect for what the coaches are trying to do, however, you can't gut a team and get rid of everyone can you.
    After next years draft, and FA period the guys that don't seem to fit will be gone or they will work harder to fit IMHO.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg