singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings a Sloppy 3-2 Heading Into Bye

[size=13pt]Vikings a Sloppy 3-2 Heading Into Bye[/size]

By Andy Benoit, NFL Contributing Editor

(Sports Network) - The Minnesota Vikings have scored four offensive touchdowns in five games. Yet they've won three of those games.

"We're 3-2. You can make an argument what you could have been, but that's who we are," said first-year head coach Brad Childress. "We're a 3-2 football team right now as we head into the bye and we get a chance to regroup, which if you look at it, we've been going at it for a while now...I think the bye falls at a great place for us to refresh..."

The fact of the matter is that only half of the Vikings need refreshing. The offense has struggled to put points on the board. Minnesota is averaging 17.8 points per game, but that includes a special teams touchdown and three defensive touchdowns. Mike Tomlin's Cover 2 defensive unit, on the other hand, has been dominant, giving up just 16.4 points per game and having seven takeaways, all of which have seemingly been game-changing.

"We want (the pressure) on us," said Tomlin. "We have a lot to give from a talent standpoint. We've got to give it. We don't mind those responsibilities. The big thing is we want to win. Whatever it takes for us to win, we are willing to do."

Against the Lions, it took superior play in the trenches, which isn't hard to do when you have Pat and Kevin Williams going up against a Lions front five that was without three of its starters. The mismatch helped create several of what Tomlin calls "splash plays."

"The splash plays are a product of doing the ordinary things extraordinarily well," he said. "That's what we focused on. Let's do the ordinary things extraordinarily well and the splash plays will come. Sometimes you start to press, you want splash plays. You can't do that. You've just got to play football. Play within the scheme of the defense and play hard and those good things happen to you."

CHESTER TAYLOR FITTING IN AS THE STARTER

Few were surprised back in spring when the Minnesota Vikings signed Chester Taylor to a four-year, $14 million to be their starting running back, despite the fact that Taylor would turn 27 in September and entered the season as a career backup. His versatility was thought to be a perfect fit for Brad Childress's West Coast offense and he would also benefit from playing behind an offensive line that featured stars Steve Hutchinson, Matt Birk, and Bryant McKinnie. Plus, the Vikings also added fullback Tony Richardson, who earned a Pro Bowl reputation for his work in Kansas City.

However, not everyone could have anticipated Taylor going from second-stringer to one of the NFL's most frequently-ridden workhorses. His 111 rushing attempts are fourth-most in the NFL this season and just two fewer than league-leader Steven Jackson. Taylor has been an adequate receiving threat like many assumed (17 receptions) but it's his durability as a ball carrier that has defined the Vikings offense thus far.

Against Detroit, he carried the ball 26 times for 123 yards, including eight carries for 32 yards that controlled the game in the fourth quarter.

"To me, that's a true running back," Richardson told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "A running back is a guy that, when you know you have to get tough yards, you can give him the ball and time after time he can get those tough yards for you. To me, that's the running back I want in the backfield. The guy that, when he has to bite down on his lip and go in there and come out with positive yards, that's the guy I want behind me."

Taylor is averaging 3.8 yards per attempt and has 421 yards on the season - good for fourth in the NFL. His 84.2 yards per game rank ninth in the league.

WHO'S HOT

Cornerback Antoine Winfield was part of a secondary that controlled the Lions passing attack on Sunday. Winfield played despite having a torn quadriceps muscle just above his left knee. "Antoine, pound for pound, is as tough a guy as I've seen," said Childress. "He backs it up with physical play and very good coverage."

WHO'S NOT

Wide receiver Troy Williamson had a quiet game against the Lions, catching just two passes for 11 yards. Williamson has only four receptions in his last two games.

NEXT UP

The Vikings have a bye before traveling to the Pacific Northwest to face the Seattle Seahawks.

--

Andy Benoit is the author of Touchdown 2006: Everything You Need to Know About the NFL This Year. For more information or to contact Benoit, visit www.touchdown2006.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings a Sloppy 3-2 Heading Into Bye

Few were surprised back in spring when the Minnesota Vikings signed Chester Taylor to a four-year, $14 million to be their starting running back, despite the fact that Taylor would turn 27 in September and entered the season as a career backup. His versatility was thought to be a perfect fit for Brad Childress's West Coast offense and he would also benefit from playing behind an offensive line that featured stars Steve Hutchinson, Matt Birk, and Bryant McKinnie. Plus, the Vikings also added fullback Tony Richardson, who earned a Pro Bowl reputation for his work in Kansas City.

However, not everyone could have anticipated Taylor going from second-stringer to one of the NFL's most frequently-ridden workhorses. His 111 rushing attempts are fourth-most in the NFL this season and just two fewer than league-leader Steven Jackson. Taylor has been an adequate receiving threat like many assumed (17 receptions) but it's his durability as a ball carrier that has defined the Vikings offense thus far.

Against Detroit, he carried the ball 26 times for 123 yards, including eight carries for 32 yards that controlled the game in the fourth quarter.

"To me, that's a true running back," Richardson told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "A running back is a guy that, when you know you have to get tough yards, you can give him the ball and time after time he can get those tough yards for you. To me, that's the running back I want in the backfield. The guy that, when he has to bite down on his lip and go in there and come out with positive yards, that's the guy I want behind me."

Taylor is averaging 3.8 yards per attempt and has 421 yards on the season - good for fourth in the NFL. His 84.2 yards per game rank ninth in the league.
    yea buddy.. been waiting a few years to hear stuff like that
    i m better than you, so just give up...