Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings: Signings to Come Soon

[size=18px]Signings to Come Soon [/size]

By: Viking Update Staff

Date: Jul 11, 2006

The Vikings are less than three weeks away from the start of training camp, yet have none of their 2006 draft picks signed yet. This has become an annual game of cat and mouse that the Vikings have been willing to play.

When it comes to signing draft picks, teams have different strategies. The Bears, for example, have signed all of their draft picks, while the Vikings have yet to sign any. But this isn't unusual for the Vikings.

Increasingly, teams around the NFL have gone to the negotiating table later and later with many, if not all, of their draft picks. Despite the slotting of picks pretty much assuring how much a given draftee will be paid, teams have waited until the 11th hour to make signings.

First-round pick Chad Greenway has been steadfast in saying that he won't be a holdout, but contract talks have been preliminary at best in attempts to get him signed. The same is true for the other five Vikings draft picks.

There is little doubt that the Vikings will have their picks signed before training camp opens at the end of the month. But the bigger question may be why there is a holdup to begin with? Both sides need the other to be a success and there has been little reason to believe that deals can't be done.

Increasingly more and more players, especially first-round picks, aren't signed until the final days or hours before training camps open. With a multi-billion-dollar business, it's hard to believe that a signing bonus that is a known commodity becomes a sticking point. What the difference in paying it in June or May as opposed to being paid in July?

Expect to see the Vikings start making draft signings as early as this week, but not get everybody signed and delivered until shortly before the first whistle blows in Mankato. It doesn't need to be this way, but it usually is. Go figure.

Signings to Come Soon

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings: Signings to Come Soon

Interesting....I hope we get everybody signed before training camp. Not having McKinnie in camp a few years ago really hurt us and him. I don't want any recorruences of that!!

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

I hope so our rookies report to camp on the 27th and we haven't signed any of them and there has been no progress with any first round picks getting signed.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Hurry up and sign them so they just worry about training camp.

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

I am always nervous when we don't sign our rookies right away. No more Mckinnie's please.

Thank you Josdin for the sig

I'm just glad to hear that Greenway has no intention of holding out. I hate it when players do that. Usually they're only screwing themselves over (Cedric Benson)
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Speaking of holdouts, I see Ashley Lelie is having problems in Denver (that IS where he plays, right?).
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

"shockzilla" wrote:
    Speaking of holdouts, I see Ashley Lelie is having problems in Denver (that IS where he plays, right?).
    Who else does Denver have at receiver after Smith retires and Lelie leaves? That could pose a problem for them, especially if Jake once again becomes The Mistake and they can't get a stable running game from whoever they have.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    "shockzilla" wrote:
    Who else does Denver have at receiver after Smith retires and Lelie leaves? That could pose a problem for them, especially if Jake once again becomes The Mistake and they can't get a stable running game from whoever they have.
    Javon Walker.

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    "shockzilla" wrote:
    Javon Walker.
    stupid!(me, that is, stupid me) wow that was bad. javon walker. How could I forget him?
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast