Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings sign Seahawks Maurice Mann

Posted on Thu, Sep. 14, 2006

[size=13pt]Minnesota Vikings pick up Monterey's Mann Monterey's Mann signs with Vikings[/size]

By JOHN DEVINE
    Herald Staff Writer

Apparently someone noticed Maurice Mann.

Rather than sit and hope that the Seattle Seahawks would activate him from their practice squad at some point this fall, Mann chose to sign a one-year free agent deal with the Minnesota Vikings.

Because Minnesota signed fleet receiver from the Seahawks' practice squad, it must put him on their 53-man roster.

"I kind of figured if Seattle didn't do something, someone else might pick me up," Mann said. "I had a good camp. I think I've shown I can play the game."

Mann practiced with the Vikings for the first time Wednesday, spending a portion of his day working with quarterback Brad Johnson on routes and timing.

"If felt good and awkward," Mann said. "I had so much chemistry with the guys in Seattle. I have to get accustomed to a new set of guys. But everyone was cool."

Mann will be suiting up for his fourth team in three years. He has yet to set foot on an NFL field for a regular season game.

By virtue of being put on the Vikings roster, Mann's salary will go from roughly $30,000 to the NFL minimum $335,000.

It's unknown if Mann will be activated for Minnesota's home opener Sunday against Carolina. Five players on the 53-man roster are deactivated before each game.

"I might need another week to get comfortable with these guys," Mann said.

The Monterey High product has had brief stints on practices squads in Cincinnati, Miami and Seattle.

"I can't turn my back on it," Mann said. "I love this game too much. I have worked too hard. I know people who have been through much worse."

Once rosters were set after teams got down to the limit, Minnesota acted quickly on Mann, signing him on the eve of their Monday night season opener.

For how long could be open for debate. The Vikings now have seven receivers on the team and it is unlikely they'll carry all seven all year.

How quickly Mann, a one-time Monterey Peninsula College all-state receiver, gets a grasp of the Vikings' offense, will likely dictate how soon he gets on the field.

Mann has been burning the candle at both ends, getting a crash course on the Vikings' system, which is a version of the West Coast offense that Seattle used.

"The good thing is the offense is virtually the same," Mann said. "The terminology is a little different."

The 24-year-old originally made the Seahawks final cut, but was released 48 hours later and re-signed to their practice squad.

It had appeared Mann had solidified his position on the team, following up strong mini-camps with a team-high 10 catches in the preseason.

"I don't think anyone doubted me," Mann said. "It just became a numbers game. It's part of the business. I haven't proven it in a regular season game."

A similar situation occurred during his rookie year in Cincinnati when he made the team, but was released the following day.

Mann spent the first nine games on the Bengals practice squad before Miami signed him in the middle of the season to their 53-man roster. He was never activated for a game.

Despite a breakout preseason in 2005, in which he was second on the Dolphins in receptions and scored a touchdown, Mann was released before the start of the season.

With Seattle having recently acquired receiver Deion Branch, it appears Mann made the right choice in joining the Vikings.

Of the six other receivers on Minnesota's roster, two have no NFL experience and one has played sparingly.

Blessed with 4.3 speed in the 40-yard dash, Mann is also deep threat. The Vikings put the ball in the air 30 times in a season-opening 19-16 win over Washington. Five different receivers caught at least one pass.

"It's a good receiving corps," Mann said. "I'm a different type of receiver than these guys. But I feel I fit right in."

Mann could also play on kickoff and punt returns, which he did during his senior year at the University of Nevada.

"They told me they want to see what I can do," Mann said. "I'm grateful for the opportunity. There's not going to be any more cuts."

Mann's Mission 2004: Mann spent the first nine games of his rookie year on the Cincinnati Bengals practice squad, the last seven on the Miami Dolphins active roster, but never played a game. 2005: Released from the Dolphins practice squad a month into the season, Mann was picked up by Seattle in December and signed to their practice squad. 2006: Mann was on the Seahawks 53-man roster for 48 hours before being released and put on their practice squad. Four days later, he was signed by the Vikings and put on their 53-man roster.

John Devine can be reached at [email protected] or 646-4405.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

Re: Vikings sign Seahawks Maurice Mann

So they signed Mann and Carter is still on our practice squad?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Del" wrote:
    So they signed Mann and Carter is still on our practice squad?
    He must have had a better pre-season in Childress' eyes or there is something about hin that he liked better. Speed perhaps? Better hands? I'm not sure what.

Perhaps he feels Carter is safe for the time being.

Did anyone see this guy play in pre-season? If so, how did he look compared to JC?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

There must be something about Carter we don't know and are not getting the full story. He looked so good in pre-season and now he's on the practice squad. Childress must have a reason behind his madness but I can't figure it out.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Del Rio Guest

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    There must be something about Carter we don't know and are not getting the full story. He looked so good in pre-season and now he's on the practice squad. Childress must have a reason behind his madness but I can't figure it out.
    Yeah I would be interested in finding out why JC is banished to the practice squad, why you would bring in a guy who is not familiar with our offense ahead of him.

I agree with both of you in that there is probably a reason for it.

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

think too though, if he is as good as everyone here thinks, why hasent he been signed by another team?

Del Rio Guest

"petrodemos" wrote:
    think too though, if he is as good as everyone here thinks, why hasent he been signed by another team?
    There is still that chance.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

If another team would go after Carter and make an offer, can Childress just put him back on the regular 53 man roster and prevent him from signing elsewhere? Maybe other teams knows he can do that and so they aren't gonna waste their time going after him.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Thats one thing I couldn't figure out myself, Carter had a hell of a camp and pre-season in my eyes, but there must be something we are either all missing or something the team and coaches aren't letting out, like a characature problem..

But it really all falls back to one thing for me, Childress and our other coaches, work with and see these guys on a daily basis, I will trust in them to do whats best for our team on any given issue...

Welcome to the team Mann........

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

spikecyrus is offline Rookie

I really wanted to see JC get a chance at returning kicks in regular season, I still don't like troy back there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast