Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

b. You guys that like Cassell as an option over Ponder. Seriously. Using what rationale? How great he plays? How he has matured into a great QB that wins?
    I'd have to say I like him as a better option than Webb, but think he is similar to Ponder and gives Ponder a experienced QB to work with and is a more viable backup if Ponder is having problems (like in last years Tampa game where he could have been sat to protect him from himself) or gets hurt. I really don't see Cassell as a big treat to pressure Ponder for his job though.

Also nice to see you post again

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    I'd have to say I like him as a better option than Webb, but think he is similar to Ponder and gives Ponder a experienced QB to work with and is a more viable backup if Ponder is having problems (like in last years Tampa game where he could have been sat to protect him from himself) or gets hurt. I really don't see Cassell as a big treat to pressure Ponder for his job though.

Adequately articulated.
    Also nice to see you post again

Thanks old friend. You know that I never leave, I just get caught up in work at times. This just happened to be one of those long ones.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

d. I like this crop of WR's in this draft. As long as we can land Hunter, Hopkins, Woods or even Patterson with one of our first or second round picks.

Don't get me wrong on Patterson. He is a extremely talented young man but he will need time to mature were as the other 3 will come in and not struggle with the WCO route tree. It will take Patterson time to learn that but he can still be productive learning behind our 3 starters (Simpson X, Jennings Z, and Wright Y).
    What is your WR draft wishlist? I'm having a tough time, as they all seem to be very capable of becoming good nfl players.
    I heard Jerry Rice talking about Robert Woods as the top WR in this draft class, and a good fit for MN.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    What is your WR draft wishlist? I'm having a tough time, as they all seem to be very capable of becoming good nfl players.
    I heard Jerry Rice talking about Robert Woods as the top WR in this draft class, and a good fit for MN.
    I would love to see us get the following:

a. Hunter - Already knows the full route tree. I worry about his drops last year but a couple of scouts attribute that to his knee as he didn't have that problem before the injury.

b. Patterson - I like his upside, but I don't look forward to listening to fans bitch about him as he develops. Everyone will want him to be "Randy" right away but that will take time.

c. Woods, Hopkins, and then Allen.

d. Rogers and I have them taking a kid late in the fourth.....

Chris Harper, WR, Kansas State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
    Last edited by Marrdro; 04-24-2013 at 10:12 AM.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

b. You guys that like Cassell as an option over Ponder. Seriously. Using what rationale? How great he plays? How he has matured into a great QB that wins?
    I'm not sure I like Cassell over Ponder, we haven't seen either of them on the field for us this season. Truth is, neither is head and shoulders better than the other RIGHT NOW. It's almost a recreation of the Frerotte versus TJack argument....

I will say that bringing in Cassel does put pressure on Ponder to produce. THAT I like. Last season, with a couple of cardboard cutouts behind him on the depth chart, Ponder was reasonably certain he wasn't going to get benched. With Cassel there, he doesn't have that luxury.

Either way, I still don't think we have our franchise QB on our roster yet...

Caine

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I'm not sure I like Cassell over Ponder, we haven't seen either of them on the field for us this season. Truth is, neither is head and shoulders better than the other RIGHT NOW. It's almost a recreation of the Frerotte versus TJack argument....

I will say that bringing in Cassel does put pressure on Ponder to produce. THAT I like. Last season, with a couple of cardboard cutouts behind him on the depth chart, Ponder was reasonably certain he wasn't going to get benched. With Cassel there, he doesn't have that luxury.

Caine
    I think that's the key point of the Cassell signing. Last year, there was never a consideration that Ponder would get benched (as some of his games showed). This year, I think Ponder will have a shorter leash....not a short leash necessarily, but a shorter leash. This will be measured mostly by wins and his command of the offense, not his stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post

Don't get me wrong, I liked the signing. He is a real QB that has played in a real scheme which automatically makes him head and shoulders above Webb.

I feel alot better going into this year that if Ponder gets hurt he can come in and move the team and we won't have to come up with "gimmicks" to get it done.

Caine
    I kindof agree to a point. I think he is there, in the wings, just waiting to mature and come out. All he needs is a bit of help at the WR position and a O-coord that will run a offensive set out there that doesn't have 4 TE's in it.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I think that's the key point of the Cassell signing. Last year, there was never a consideration that Ponder would get benched (as some of his games showed). This year, I think Ponder will have a shorter leash....not a short leash necessarily, but a shorter leash. This will be measured mostly by wins and his command of the offense, not his stats.
    I don't think Ponder is on a leash at all. I think this staff is well aware of what it takes to groome a QB and that includes the hard times that will come with it. Last year was a prime example of the inconsistencies you will have in that process.

Started out great, got a bit rough, smoothed back out after some reps.

On another note, I don't think Ponder is a cat that feels pressure either. I think his mental makeup, along with his smarts, are the attributes that I like about him the most. Makes him a prime candidate to succeed in the offense I think Musgrove is going to try to run this year.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    I don't think Ponder is on a leash at all. I think this staff is well aware of what it takes to groome a QB and that includes the hard times that will come with it. Last year was a prime example of the inconsistencies you will have in that process.

Started out great, got a bit rough, smoothed back out after some reps.

On another note, I don't think Ponder is a cat that feels pressure either. I think his mental makeup, along with his smarts, are the attributes that I like about him the most. Makes him a prime candidate to succeed in the offense I think Musgrove is going to try to run this year.
    Can you even imagine how well RGIII, Andrew Luck & Ryan Wilson are going to play in their 3rd years after they're groomed?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Can you even imagine how well RGIII, Andrew Luck & Ryan Wilson are going to play in their 3rd years after they're groomed?
    LOL, yea, Newton should have a good year again this year.

I think Luck is a whole nother critter as apposed to Ponder. Was Ponder a first round pick? Sure, but he didn't have first round talent. That means he will struggle more than a kid like Luck will. In short, one is more talented than the other. Thats why he was the number one pick.

As to RGIII and Wilson, watch how both of them do this year and get back to me. Wilson has a good team around him and can play the game but I think teams figured out how to stop him, just like they did RGIII last year.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast