Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Followed this back to the source article. It discussed some of the process the Vikings used in recruiting Jennings. Definately worth reading.

Scout.com: Favre, others helped convince Jennings
    I thought so too when I posted it a couple pages back

Quite entertaining on many levels.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I thought so too when I posted it a couple pages back

Quite entertaining on many levels.
    You even had quotes. I just wanted to be like you. Guess I will have to learn to read.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Brett Favre helped with Vikings deal

"Literally, as I got off the plane and (offensive coordinator Bill) Musgrave walked up to me, I'm on the phone with Brett," Jennings said on KFAN-AM, via Min.Scout.com. "I spoke with Brett two or three times throughout this process. He shot me straight. I knew if there was one person that would shoot straight and tell me exactly what I wanted to hear and things I possibly didn't want to hear, it would be Brett. He did that for me."
    Nice.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Pretty sure that is EVERYONE's opinion. The catch is that most of the WRs are closer to second round grades and there are likely to be other players available who will be more worth a first rounder when out first round picks come up. Nobody has said that we should put WR on the back burner - I would love to see one of those comments.
    No, that's not everyone's opinion. There are fans who think we should be addressing MLB, DT & CB with our first 2 or 3 picks, which could move taking a WR to the 3rd round. IMO, that's back burner compared to where it needs to be.

Sure, some of those better WR's aren't projected to go until the second round, but how many good ones will be left when we pick at #52 in the second round? It's much like Ponder, they reached for him early in the 1st round even though he was projected to go in the second, but the Vikings felt he wouldn't be there when it came time for their second round pick.

OK fair, but who? What RT would you have signed?
    I don't watch a lot of other teams, so I'm not an expert at ranking RT's, but there were ranking charts out there that had Loadholt rated at #5 in FA lineman. Vollmer was one I saw repeatedly ranked higher than Loadholt, ranked #1 on some boards & he had better pass blocking skills

Again who? Not a lot of WRs available in FA this year, and we happened to secure one of the top ones available. What better deep threat would you have signed?
    There's no way in hell you're going to convince me or anyone else that there wasn't any WR's out there better than Simpson that we could have signed to replace him. Here's a list of the top 31 available, plus some notables & Simpson doesn't even get mentioned.

Free agency primer: Ranking the wide receivers - NFL.com

We probably are going to do just that, although I would say it is more likely in the first three picks instead of the first two.
    The only way I feel we should wait until the 3rd pick is if 1) some great talent steals fall to us with our 1st 2 picks AND 2) Spielman makes a trade to move way up from pick #52 to early in the second round.

Like I said to kevon, hop off from the overreaction train. Nobody is taking the stance that we are set at WR. Stop trying to find the negative in things. This has been a very good offseason for the Vikings so far.
    I'm not over reacting, I was asked my opinion & I gave it. Losing 2 great players & signing 1 great one in return isn't a very good offseason, IMO. It's good, but not great. I liked the Jennings signing & even the Cassel signing & resigning Felton, but I didn't like losing Harvin, Winfield, Brinkley or re-signing Simpson & Loadholt.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    There are many that do rate Loadholt an above average right tackle and list him quite high on many top 50 or 100 free agent lists, provided a few links so you don't think I pulled that out of my ass

probably the one of the ratings that had him below elite but as a solid stater despite his penalties (which is a big issue) and that he's missed one game in 4 seasons

LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK
    He's rated higher for his run blocking skills and also because AD got so many yards last year. Besides his penalties, Loadholt isn't a very good pass blocker. If you notice on your links both Vollmer & Andre Smith are projected higher than Loadholt in most cases with both having better pass blocking skills.

Those are 2 we should have tried to get instead of Loadholt

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    He's rated higher for his run blocking skills and also because AD got so many yards last year. Besides his penalties, Loadholt isn't a very good pass blocker. If you notice on your links both Vollmer & Andre Smith are projected higher than Loadholt in most cases with both having better pass blocking skills.

Those are 2 we should have tried to get instead of Loadholt
    Both Smith and Vollmer are looking for more money, both weren't tagged by their past teams and the Pats have offered Vollmer 7 mill and he didn't take it so my simple question is would you give up Jennings and his contract to have one of these guys and then go shopping for a receiver using Loadholt's dollar value cause with the cap that is pretty much what would have to be done or you'd have to cut another veteran to free up the space to have both.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Drafting an x receiver with speed and hopefully height would stretch the field vertically allowing Jennings and Rudolph to work the field underneath, and loosen up the box for AP.
    In addition, it would put Simpson where he belongs; on the bench !
    Spielman needs to find this mythical receiver to allow the offense better balance.
    I don't care where in the draft he takes him, but he better not stand pat with Simpson.
    Simpson should be an insurance policy in case of injury and occasionally spell receivers as a change up.
    Then the offense will have some new found potency.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Drafting an x receiver with speed and hopefully height would stretch the field vertically allowing Jennings and Rudolph to work the field underneath, and loosen up the box for AP.
    In addition, it would put Simpson where he belongs; on the bench !
    Spielman needs to find this mythical receiver to allow the offense better balance.
    I don't care where in the draft he takes him, but he better not stand pat with Simpson.
    Simpson should be an insurance policy in case of injury and occasionally spell receivers as a change up.
    Then the offense will have some new found potency.
    Layin the smack down one paragraph at a time!

We smell what you are cookin.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Layin the smack down one paragraph at a time!

We smell what you are cookin.
    Most talent is in the first round. Very hard to find that type of player in the 7th.
    *prepares for the "But Colston" posts.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Both Smith and Vollmer are looking for more money, both weren't tagged by their past teams and the Pats have offered Vollmer 7 mill and he didn't take it so my simple question is would you give up Jennings and his contract to have one of these guys and then go shopping for a receiver using Loadholt's dollar value cause with the cap that is pretty much what would have to be done or you'd have to cut another veteran to free up the space to have both.
    Maybe he should have taken this past season to agressively resign Loadholt. UNder Chilly's regime, we didn't let talent get to FAs. Chilly didn't do everythign right but he did that right. Once in FAs the price gets driven up. We reportedly would not give load more than 5. Then we almost lost him to the Bears(driving the price up) and ended tossing more than 5 at him. That's my issue with this new FO. They make great moves but fuck up the simple shit.

DOn't say it's was because of Load an his agent because I'm not sure if you have noticed...we did resigned anyone during the season.

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast