Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Jereamiah View Post
    You agree, even though the team picked up Jennings, that this season will produce "three wins.?" You agree with that?
    Fuck no I don't agree with that, I never said I agreed with that. I do find it hard to believe they will get to 10 wins again if they don't do more things soon. The DL is slowing down, which I think we will see more of Everson Griffen next season, the guy is a stud. Our secondary is extremely weak with the exception of Harrison Smith (Sanford had a good season, but is it happening again?) and we are very thin at LB with Greenway being the only consistently solid LB on the team.

So long story short, if this defense doesn't get upgraded a great deal, the offense won't be able to score enough points needed to win that many games. Taking Winfield out of the equation despite his age is a serious blow to this defense. They need to do something.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Who?

I don't think anyone feels that we are "set" and don't need to make any more moves this offseason, either in the draft or in FA. AFAIK, nobody has ever said that we can now ignore the WR position.

I believe most people feel that we are making some great strides, and have done as much or more than expected at this point in the offseason. I think we have a better base WR corps right now than we did at the end of the season, and we still have the time, money, and draft picks to continue to improve it.

For you and kevon and anyone else who seems to be so upset with the direction we are going, exactly what else would you like to see the Vikings do?
    There were a few comments here stating as much & also on a few of the places I visit on FB. They have all sorts of other positions being addressed with our early picks now & WR on the back burner. IMO, a deep threat WR is still near the top, which would be trumped only by a BPA of another position of great need such as MLB or a DB to replace Winfield. Perhaps a DL to replace K-Will in the future.

I wouldn't have resigned Simpson or Loadholt & found an RT that was better at pass protection & who doesn't commit 11 penalties each year.

Some fans wanted to keep Loadholt to maintain "consistency" on the line, but I saw that as a weak excuse. They weren't saying it last year when we were going after Kalil or when we replaced Hererra with Scwartz/Fusco. Consistency is great to have, but you don't keep mediocre players on your front line for the sake of consistency. First you get the above average players you need on your OL, then you keep them there to maintain the consistency.

As far as Simpson, I believe they should have brought in a better deep threat WR. It didn't have to be a top shelf, high dollar man, but someone who would be an improvement over him & could go up & get the ball. He reminds me way too much of Berrian when it comes to talent.

Then you draft a future deep threat WR with one of the first two draft picks of the draft depending on who is sitting there & who is left.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Oh, the time will come.

This is just of me trying to be a kinder, gentler PF. I could revert at any time if the rubes think I need to.

No. The "Yes Man" PF has been enjoyable to read.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    There were a few comments here stating as much & also on a few of the places I visit on FB. They have all sorts of other positions being addressed with our early picks now & WR on the back burner. IMO, a deep threat WR is still near the top, which would be trumped only by a BPA of another position of great need such as MLB or a DB to replace Winfield. Perhaps a DL to replace K-Will in the future.
    Pretty sure that is EVERYONE's opinion. The catch is that most of the WRs are closer to second round grades and there are likely to be other players available who will be more worth a first rounder when out first round picks come up. Nobody has said that we should put WR on the back burner - I would love to see one of those comments.

I wouldn't have resigned Simpson or Loadholt & found an RT that was better at pass protection & who doesn't commit 11 penalties each year.

Some fans wanted to keep Loadholt to maintain "consistency" on the line, but I saw that as a weak excuse. They weren't saying it last year when we were going after Kalil or when we replaced Hererra with Scwartz/Fusco. Consistency is great to have, but you don't keep mediocre players on your front line for the sake of consistency. First you get the above average players you need on your OL, then you keep them there to maintain the consistency.
    OK fair, but who? What RT would you have signed?

As far as Simpson, I believe they should have brought in a better deep threat WR. It didn't have to be a top shelf, high dollar man, but someone who would be an improvement over him & could go up & get the ball. He reminds me way too much of Berrian when it comes to talent.
    Again who? Not a lot of WRs available in FA this year, and we happened to secure one of the top ones available. What better deep threat would you have signed?

Then you draft a future deep threat WR with one of the first two draft picks of the draft depending on who is sitting there & who is left.
    We probably are going to do just that, although I would say it is more likely in the first three picks instead of the first two.

Like I said to kevon, hop off from the overreaction train. Nobody is taking the stance that we are set at WR. Stop trying to find the negative in things. This has been a very good offseason for the Vikings so far.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    There are many that do rate Loadholt an above average right tackle and list him quite high on many top 50 or 100 free agent lists, provided a few links so you don't think I pulled that out of my ass

probably the one of the ratings that had him below elite but as a solid stater despite his penalties (which is a big issue) and that he's missed one game in 4 seasons

LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK LINK

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Again who? Not a lot of WRs available in FA this year, and we happened to secure one of the top ones available. What better deep threat would you have signed?
    I believe Randy Moss is available.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    1: I like the Jennings signing...not thrilled about the pay out as I'm not certain he can carry the WR corps, but he's a solid talent, and appears to be a very team oriented guy. Look forward to seeing him in action in good colors for a change....
    I was surprised that we landed him but think he was one of the better value FA's out there. IMO the likes of Cruz, Wallace are way overpriced for what they bring to the table. Hopefully he can also help our WR corp develop more especially if we get a couple in the draft. Will be interesting how he approaches the various minicamps, OTAs and TC as well.

2: I still think the WR corps needs help. We need a second legit target. Hopefully we can find one in the draft.
    Agree on this as I'm still not sold on Simpson, however I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt with Ponder having some probs with consistency last season. Plus with Jennings on board it may allow Simpson to relax a little and show what he can do

3: Not hating Spielman. Not 100% sold on him, but getting closer all the time.
    We shall see how he goes and the draft will be key for him this year in terms of turning the picks he has into good productive players. He seems to be quietly turning the team around but we shall see if last year was a blip or whether he does have a handle on how to build a team in a balanced manner.

4: Ponder....clock is ticking. The excuse-o-meter has burned out, and I doubt that Cassell is content at this point in his career to be a clipboard holder. I could see a change being made early on if Ponder struggles again.
    Caine
    Fully agree on this point. He has had some latitude up until now but has to make that big step up and show that he is the future QB of the franchise. We saw a difference with Rudolph in the Pro Bowl in terms when he had a good QB throwing the ball his way. Ok it was only the Pro Bowl but there was a noticeable difference in the catches that Rudolph made.
    If Ponder does struggle then Frazier won't have an excuse for not putting in the #2 QB unlike last year when he would have been scared witless at the thought. Given that Frazier is also wanting to make sure he gets a better contract extension then he may be less willing to wait on Ponder if things don't start out well.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Brett Favre helped with Vikings deal

"Literally, as I got off the plane and (offensive coordinator Bill) Musgrave walked up to me, I'm on the phone with Brett," Jennings said on KFAN-AM, via Min.Scout.com. "I spoke with Brett two or three times throughout this process. He shot me straight. I knew if there was one person that would shoot straight and tell me exactly what I wanted to hear and things I possibly didn't want to hear, it would be Brett. He did that for me."

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    1: I like the Jennings signing...not thrilled about the pay out as I'm not certain he can carry the WR corps, but he's a solid talent, and appears to be a very team oriented guy. Look forward to seeing him in action in good colors for a change....

2: I still think the WR corps needs help. We need a second legit target. Hopefully we can find one in the draft.

3: Not hating Spielman. Not 100% sold on him, but getting closer all the time.

4: Ponder....clock is ticking. The excuse-o-meter has burned out, and I doubt that Cassell is content at this point in his career to be a clipboard holder. I could see a change being made early on if Ponder struggles again.

Caine
    Great post, and I wish I hadn't missed it before.

I 100% agree with everything you said here.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Followed this back to the source article. It discussed some of the process the Vikings used in recruiting Jennings. Definately worth reading.

Scout.com: Favre, others helped convince Jennings

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast